post Jul 27 2005, 12:07 AM
Post #1

Site Administrator

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,609
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: T-Mobile
PocketPC: HTC

The atomic clock. The keeper of the time for the world. The basis for all late lunches and missed appointments. THE timekeeper. It's a little too large to fit in your pocket or wear on your wrist. But what if you could carry something that would periodically update by talking to the atomic clock. DONE!

Here is what Slipstream Solutions has to say about TimeSync:

Stay in sync with atomic NTP time servers on the Internet with this .NET application.

TimeSync uses a minimal amount of bandwidth and its rich, intuitive interface allows a user to select from a number of options, including:
  • Multiple time servers for even greater resilience and reliability (four international time servers are installed by default). New in version 2.0!

• Option to move time servers down in order of priority on failed synchronization. New in version 2.0!

• Improved graphical layout. New in version 2.0!

• Optional audio notification of a failed or successful time synchronization. New in version 2.0!

• Option to synchronize time while device is sleeping. New in version 2.0!

• Includes built-in HTML help*. New in version 2.0!

• Supports international regions, multiple time-zones and daylight-saving anywhere in the world!

• Time server settings include configurable NTP string and port.

• Option to automatically synchronize time at a set interval.

• Option to automatically retry a failed sync.

• Option to automatically dial if not connected.

• Automatically runs in the background after a soft reset.

Note: The screen captures in this review were made using Microsoft's ActiveSync Remote Display. They contain border window information not seen on the actual phone.

This is the opening screen. Notice I have already synchronized my phone's clock.

The main menu gives you a few options:

And here is the ABOUT screen:

Registration screen:

The program comes with several unchangeable time servers hard coded into the application. But you can add your own time servers to the list as well, test them to make sure they work, and change the order in which they are contacted.

And finally here are the configurable options for the application. You can schedule regular automatic updates, force the application to run while the device is sleeping, and other options.

You can manually sync the time as well, and see the update status as it contacts the server and synchronizes the time with your device.

Simple. Effective. And perfect for all of us that run around making sure all of the clocks in the house have the same time on them. I tend to be pretty to-the-second when it comes to time, so knowing my phone has the exact time every time is very useful to me. Do people's lives depend on having the exact time? In my case, no. But I still enjoy knowing that I have the correct time, and that the time is being verified every hour so I says as close to the exact time as I possibly can.

I gave TimeSync a 5 out of 5 because it does exactly what it says it does and it does it well, and because in our hurry up society time is very important. The application is well put together and demonstrates simplicity and usability put together with users in mind. I am unable to see anything that I believe could be done better or should have been done differently. I believe many of you would benefit from the use of the application, and it's low price makes it even more attractive.

Buy it at Handango

--------------------
Jim Cleek (Slacker)
Editor / Administrator
Mobile Gadget News

My Gadgets
iPhone 3GS
HTC TyTN II
HTC Wizard
HTC Touch Dual
Motorola MPX220
Motorola MPX200
HP Ipaq 5550
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
super-duper
post Aug 2 2005, 02:12 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,633

Looks cool!

This post has been edited by super-duper: Aug 2 2005, 02:16 AM

+Quote Post
jpcauz
post Aug 3 2005, 05:25 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,257

Theoretical Basis for Special Relativity
Einstein's theory of special relativity results from two statements -- the two basic postulates of special relativity:
1. The speed of light is the same for all observers, no matter what their relative speeds.
2. The laws of physics are the same in any inertial (that is, non-accelerated) frame of reference. This means that the laws of physics observed by a hypothetical observer traveling with a relativistic particle must be the same as those observed by an observer who is stationary in the laboratory.
Given these two statements, Einstein showed how definitions of momentum and energy must be refined and how quantities such as length and time must change from one observer to another in order to get consistent results for physical quantities such as particle half-life. To decide whether his postulates are a correct theory of nature, physicists test whether the predictions of Einstein's theory match observations. Indeed many such tests have been made -- and the answers Einstein gave are right every time!
The Speed of Light is the same for all observers.
The first postulate -- the speed of light will be seen to be the same relative to any observer, independent of the motion of the observer -- is the crucial idea that led Einstein to formulate his theory. It means we can define a quantity c, the speed of light, which is a fundamental constant of nature.
Note that this is quite different from the motion of ordinary, massive objects. If I am driving down the freeway at 50 miles per hour relative to the road, a car traveling in the same direction at 55 mph has a speed of only 5 mph relative to me, while a car coming in the opposite direction at 55 mph approaches me at a rate of 105 mph. Their speed relative to me depends on my motion as well as on theirs.
Physics is the same for all inertial observers.
This second postulate is really a basic though unspoken assumption in all of science -- the idea that we can formulate rules of nature which do not depend on our particular observing situation. This does not mean that things behave in the same way on the earth and in space, e.g. an observer at the surface of the earth is affected by the earth's gravity, but it does mean that the effect of a force on an object is the same independent of what causes the force and also of where the object is or what its speed is.
Einstein developed a theory of motion that could consistently contain both the same speed of light for any observer and the familiar addition of velocities described above for slow-moving objects. This is called the special theory of relativity, since it deals with the relative motions of objects.
Note that Einstein's General Theory of Relativity is a separate theory about a very different topic -- the effects of gravity.

+Quote Post
mkestu
post Aug 3 2005, 10:59 PM
Post #4

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 3,088
Phone: Cingular 3125
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: Other
PMC: Other

Los o fiziks R tru in ol inertial framz

-TRANSLATES TO-

The Laws of Physics are true in all inertial frames

I posted this once last night and I could not find it.

This post has been edited by mkestu: Aug 3 2005, 11:04 PM

--------------------
Mike S (mkestu)

HTC StarTrek aka 3125
1G microSD
ThinkOutside BT Keyboard
Bluespoon AX2 & JawBoneII
Garmin GPS10x BT GPS

+Quote Post
Slacker
post Aug 5 2005, 10:52 PM
Post #5

Site Administrator

Member No.: 1,609
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: T-Mobile
PocketPC: HTC

This is not the correct forum for posting your entries for the software giveaway. This is the correct thread. You need to post your entries there in order to qualify.These entries will not be included in the giveaway.

--------------------
Jim Cleek (Slacker)
Editor / Administrator
Mobile Gadget News

My Gadgets
iPhone 3GS
HTC TyTN II
HTC Wizard
HTC Touch Dual
Motorola MPX220
Motorola MPX200
HP Ipaq 5550

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:16 PM