post Aug 25 2005, 06:17 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 7,026
Phone: Cingular 8525
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular

All I can say is WOW, this is one sweet device!!! biggrin.gif

According to basic specifications we've seen, the device is based on a 520MHz Intel XScale PXA270 processor backed by 192MB of memory, of which we reckon at least 64MB will be ROM. The phone runs Windows Mobile 5, aka 'Magneto'.

The stylish candybar handset is equipped with a 2.7in, 240 x 320 display. It's also fitted with a 1.3 megapixel camera. There's no keyboard - the device presents a virtual, on-screen pad. Its radio supports tri-band GSM with GPRS. Bluetooth 1.2 connectivity is on board too. There's a SD/MMC slot on the side for memory expansion.

The GPS receiver is integrated within the body of the device, so there's no flip up antenna or receiver stub. There's a slight bulge on one corner, but nothing to snag on the lining of your pocket, we'd say. The A701 uses the SirfStar III chipset, we understand.

Mio is pitching the A701 as a phone with PDA functionality, rather than the other way round. While it's not the first smart phone with integrated GPS, it's the first we've seen that uses a conventional handset form-factor. It's certainly better looking than the iPaq hw6500 series, and even the inadvertently leaked upcoming hw6700 series.

Two weeks ago, the Bluetooth Qualification Programme website posted details of Mitac's A201 device. Mitac manufactures Mio's product, and from what little spec information included in the A201 certification data, it could well be the foundation for the Mio A701. The A201 is also believed to form the basis for an upcoming Medion-branded device, the MDPNA 1500.

There's no word yet on availability or pricing. ®

I am really excited to learn more about this device!

Source: The Register

--------------------
Support the Windows Mobile Community! Become a Subscriber

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
cortez
post Aug 25 2005, 07:44 PM
Post #2

Mobile Gadget Idol

Group: Members
Member No.: 11
PocketPC: HTC
PMC: Other

i hear ya! this one looks sweet!!! can't tell the size of this device from the pics, but if it performs as good as it looks, then i'd definitely have to consider this phone when i purchase my "next" device.

--------------------
cortez

"...yes, i am a gadget freak!.."
HTC Trinity & Kaiser / AT&T
Black Q / Verizon

+Quote Post
Hulkster
post Aug 26 2005, 12:40 AM
Post #3

Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 4,004

Can you add wifi to it with the sandisk SD wifi and the drivers that came out??

Also does it have stereo speakers built into it??

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Aug 26 2005, 03:32 PM
Post #4

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,097
Phone: Other
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: Creative
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: eric.d.jones (at) gmail.com

This is a pretty impressive device and could be tempting depending on availability (tri-band??? which ones), and prices.

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps, Infantry
Currently using an iPhone
My Gadget History : AT&T Tilt,
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post
omega2008
post Aug 28 2005, 05:58 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 7,026
Phone: Cingular 8525

QUOTE (GrYph0n @ Aug 26 2005, 11:32 AM)
This is a pretty impressive device and could be tempting depending on availability (tri-band??? which ones), and prices.

Its tri band, not sure which bands it is...I am hoping they will make a version with the 850 band....if not that kills it for me and this is an awesome looking device!

--------------------
Support the Windows Mobile Community! Become a Subscriber

+Quote Post
incognito
post Sep 19 2005, 10:44 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 9,998
Phone: i-Mate Ultimate
Carrier: Other
PocketPC: HP iPAQ
PMC: Creative Zen

rolleyes.gif can anyone tell me when is the release date of this heavenly gadget?? Can't wait to exchange my N9500.. This cool stuff have every little things I've ever wanted in a smarphone... I hope it does have built-in WiFi in it.. or it's gonna be a big mistake for them... mad.gif

+Quote Post
tupac_777
post Feb 17 2006, 10:00 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 11,283
Phone: SPV
Carrier: Orange
PocketPC: Other
MP3 Player: Cowon iAudio
PMC: Other

QUOTE (cortez @ Aug 25 2005, 07:44 PM) *
i hear ya! this one looks sweet!!! can't tell the size of this device from the pics, but if it performs as good as it looks, then i'd definitely have to consider this phone when i purchase my "next" device.

I've just pre-order my A701 from SuperEtrader.co.uk its the best price around and they are going to be the first company in the UK to get them. Its a great website!!!!
I thought you might be interested in reading this web page:
http://www.superetrader.co.uk/mitac-mio-a7...e-pc-p-375.html

From,

tupac_777

QUOTE (incognito @ Sep 19 2005, 10:44 AM) *
rolleyes.gif can anyone tell me when is the release date of this heavenly gadget?? Can't wait to exchange my N9500.. This cool stuff have every little things I've ever wanted in a smarphone... I hope it does have built-in WiFi in it.. or it's gonna be a big mistake for them... mad.gif

I've just pre-order my A701 from SuperEtrader.co.uk its the best price I around and they are going to be the first company in the UK to get them.Should be the first week of march. Its a great website!!!!

From,

tupac_777

QUOTE (omega2008 @ Aug 28 2005, 05:58 PM) *
Its tri band, not sure which bands it is...I am hoping they will make a version with the 850 band....if not that kills it for me and this is an awesome looking device!

I've just pre-order my A701 from SuperEtrader.co.uk its the best price I around and they are going to be the first company in the UK to get them. Its a great website!!!!

From,

tupac_777

QUOTE (incognito @ Sep 19 2005, 10:44 AM) *

I've just pre-order my A701 from SuperEtrader.co.uk its the best price I around and they are going to be the first company in the UK to get them. Its a great website!!!!

From,

tupac_777

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:22 AM