IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> XT9 and QWERTY problem, QWERTY keys don't input what is pressed in app.
needstuff
post Jan 20 2007, 04:47 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,273
Phone: Cingular 8525
Carrier: Alltel
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: Other

I came across a text input problem with the Dash in an application I purchased this week; the QWERTY keys were putting in characters associated with the “Alt +” keys when only a regular key was pressed.

I thought you may like to have this information should you get a similar issue.

Here is what the software company said in their reply, which by the way, worked and fixed the error:

We have received a few reports of this problem with the T-mobile Dash so we've done some research on the problem. It appears that what you are facing is a flawed OEM.

This was found on the Internet:

>From an Engadget review: "XT9 predictive text engine for QWERTY devices
>would be welcome if it came with some easy mechanism for turning it on
>and off, but sadly it does not -- this was confirmed with a number of
>other Dash
users. Our Dash's XT9 would turn on for entering addressees in emails, but would mysteriously turn off when moving to the subject or body fields. Despite a few resets, the problem persisted; it\'s impossible to engage and disengage at will, something we're hoping they'll fix sooner than later."
http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/11/t-mobile-dash-review/

But wait! It gets worse! It appears as though the OS control of the input method which I use is ignored by the OEM's modifications and extensions to T9 (called xT9 in the Dash): "...the OS allows a programmer to set the input mode and the xT9 stuff ignores it..."
http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/v...tart=80<<

The flexibility given to the OEMs by Microsoft is leading to a lot of compatability problems. Our programmers are following all of Microsoft's rules.

We are continuing to investigate this issue with the expectation that we will find a work-around to this problem. In the meantime, we received some information from another DASH user that should be helpful.

1. in PocketBible Options: uncheck "use T9 for input"

The next time you need to do text entry:

2. type "alt" and "space" together. This brings up input mode.

3. select 1, "XT9 English"

Now you should be able to use the QWERTY keys directly.

Let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Patty B.
Laridian Sales and Support
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:09 PM