IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How do you load a .cab file to iPAQ h6315?
6315_user
post Oct 3 2005, 02:47 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,365

In the year or so that I have been “iPAQin’”, I’ve had this problem a couple of times. That is, I have not been able to figure out how to load software that consists of a .cab type file (which I believe is a Windows “cabinet” file). Unlike most other files or programs, I cannot seem to transfer a .cab file to my iPAQ using ActiveSync (which is the only way I link between my iPAQ and PC for file transfers.

So, can anyway give me some insight on transferring a .cab file to my iPAQ and/or on making the file work (e.g., unpacking the software)?

Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Oct 3 2005, 04:46 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

Using Activesync should work no problem. If the CAB is in a ZIP folder, you have to unzip it prior to copying and pasting it with Activesync Explore. Then you just find the file on your PPC using File Explorer, and execute it. It will automatically install itself to the Main Memory.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
6315_user
post Oct 3 2005, 06:45 AM
Post #3

Your suggestion is the typical method that I use to transfer other files with ease - but with the 2 or 3 .cab files I have tried to transfer, the copy option is disabled (i.e., grayed out) and no other method I can think of (being reasonably computer savvy) has worked - either the file is not accptable for 6315s or there is some fix that I am not aware of - thanks.

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Oct 3 2005, 04:46 AM)
Using Activesync should work no problem.  If the CAB is in a ZIP folder, you have to unzip it prior to copying and pasting it with Activesync Explore.  Then you just find the file on your PPC using File Explorer, and execute it.  It will automatically install itself to the Main Memory.

+Quote Post
Sean
post Oct 3 2005, 12:58 PM
Post #4

Site Founder
Group Icon

Group: Senior Admin
Member No.: 1
Phone: Cingular Blackjack
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: iPod Nano
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: murphy dot sean at g mail dot com

That is odd, I have never run into that problem before. Do you have an SD card in the device? You could use an SD card reader to drop the .cabs on the card and then run them from there. Another option would be to email them to your self on the device and pull them down from your in-box (assuming you have a decent data plan.)

--------------------
Sean Murphy
Editor
Mobile Gadget News

Main Devices - Cingular 8125, Sony/Ericsson GC83 Edge Card, PSP, Creative ZEN PMC, iPod Nano, Mobile Crossing BT GPS

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Oct 3 2005, 02:28 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Your suggestion is the typical method that I use to transfer other files with ease - but with the 2 or 3 .cab files I have tried to transfer, the copy option is disabled (i.e., grayed out)

Are you certain you aren't trying to copy/paste it from a ZIP folder directly to your device? That is exactly what happens when I have tried copying from a ZIP folder. I had to extract the contents of the ZIP before I could copy it to my PPC. If that isn't the case, then I don't know. I would just do what Sean said because I have a card reader.

--------------------

+Quote Post
6315_user
post Oct 4 2005, 01:40 AM
Post #6

You apparently "hit the nail on the head." I obviously made the mistake of thinking I could copy straight from the folder that opened in Win Explorer upon opening the Zip file (which I think you can do in most cases and the file will be auto-extracted). Thus, once I performed an extraction first, the .cab copied fine to the iPAQ (I thought I had tried this already, but obviously not).

Thanks for your persistence, and hopefully this will help someone else in the same predicament.

Also, I guess I can now evaluate this ScreenLock for Pocket PC program to see if resolves my other inquiry.

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Oct 3 2005, 02:28 PM)
Are you certain you aren't trying to copy/paste it from a ZIP folder directly to your device?  That is exactly what happens when I have tried copying from a ZIP folder.  I had to extract the contents of the ZIP before I could copy it to my PPC.  If that isn't the case, then I don't know.  I would just do what Sean said because I have a card reader.

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Oct 4 2005, 02:24 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

No worries. It took me FOREVER to figure out that was why that problem was happening when I had it. Luckily, I have now owned a PPC, of one brand or another, for over 3 years so I know just about everything that it can do (I think).

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:48 PM