Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 626
Phone: Samsung i760
Carrier: Verizon
Secondary Carrier: Sprint
PocketPC: Other

I heard about Autonet on a late night radio show a few days ago and thought the concept was interesting. Autonet is the first Internet service provider specifically designed for cars. Autonet Mobile is reported to deliver an always-on mobile broadband network, that you and your passengers can enjoy internet services and Wi-Fi connectivity whenever you want to by turning your car into a Wi-Fi hotspot on wheels. You can use IM, chat, stream media, email, game on-line, listen to music and more. It use 3G technology and claims coverage over 95% of the USA. Autonet mobile can be seen in Las Vegas on January 8 at CES International 2007 Units will be shipping this spring.
Attached ImageAttached Image
Read more about Autonet Mobile

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN
MGN Making Your Windows Mobile Life Simpler

Main : Samsung i760 - Verizon
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Jan 4 2007, 11:08 AM
Post #2

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: Alltel

Very interesting! I wonder what the cost of the service will be when compared to an unlimited data plan? I like that it uses WIFI, but it would have to price out less than what unlimited data costs since it would not be available to the user anywhere/everywhere the device was in use - as it can only be used while in your car.

I look forward to learning more about this product/service.

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
awarner
post Jan 6 2007, 05:00 PM
Post #3

MS-MVP / MoDaCo.com

Group: MGN Ultimate
Member No.: 1,721
Carrier: T-Mobile
PocketPC: HTC

Excellent idea be interesting on the realistic speeds would actually be rather than the "quoted speeds" the passengers could actually get while travelling.

--------------------
awarner Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices & Staff Team Leader modaco.com
SPV, E100, E200, C500, C550, C600 (MoDaCo Edition), MPX200, MPX220, Voq Pro, Mio 8380, JasJar, Vario

+Quote Post
abatis
post Jan 9 2007, 09:30 PM
Post #4

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 626
Phone: Samsung i760
Carrier: Verizon
Secondary Carrier: Sprint
PocketPC: Other

Here is some more information from Business Wire:

Autonet Mobile's patent pending TRU Technology enables seamless Internet connectivity so that passengers stay connected while driving. TRU Technology provides intelligent, dynamic automatic session management between high/low speed networks, producing a reliable user experience. The Autonet Mobile Service ensures a secure, broadband-level connection to any WiFi-enabled device within close proximity to the vehicle. The Autonet Mobile Unit is priced to retail at $399 with a monthly service charge of $49.

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN
MGN Making Your Windows Mobile Life Simpler

Main : Samsung i760 - Verizon

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Jan 10 2007, 08:44 AM
Post #5

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 11,486
Carrier: Alltel

"The Autonet Mobile Unit is priced to retail at $399 with a monthly service charge of $49."

Ouch. The appeal of this must be more about something else other than a handheld device then, right? Like I originally said, if it prices out more than unlimited data plans, it doesn't make sense (to me). And, since it does price out at more, it must be directed at something else.

What?

For instance, why would this setup be preferable to the fast networks available now (and in the future) that I thought I've read are quickly approaching broadband speeds and go with you wherever you and your device go?

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:43 AM