Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why the VOQ has no bluetooth.
SatanX
post Nov 2 2004, 11:46 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,106

After viewing way too may posts of ‘Why the ^*&& did they not include Bluetooth on this phone!’, I feel it’s time I actually explain why it was most likely not included (or a camera for that matter).

You have to remember what market the VOQ is geared for. It was geared for the corporate environment. I work for a Fortune 500 company (which will remain nameless) and we are still investigating a ‘mobile e-mail’ solution. We are constantly testing different technologies (including Good, blackberry, etc…) but there are always issues with certain devices. These are security issues. Since I’ve signed more of my share of non-discloser agreements, I understand what issues security plays in our environment.

Cameras? Good luck on walking in my building with one. No dice, other then specific functions, they are not allowed. Hence, we will NEVER buy a phone with a camera on it (ever notice how the Treo 600s come in two flavors? One with and one without a camera, this is to appease companies like the one I work for, where a contract is a very lucrative deal for them).

Bluetooth is another ‘sticky’ situation. Any wireless based technologies (other then cellular) that support data transfer are HIGHLY scrutinized. This could present a security risk to the company. Larger corporations look to such groups as the ‘Gartner Group’ for advice and direction on different aspects of business before drawing their own conclusions about things. Now, what does Gartner says about Bluetooth? You got it, security risk and advise against going to it. Besides, most corporations are looking for a cellular product that includes technology to be able to send and receive email. A few products do it and do it well such as the Blackberry, Treo 600, ect. Bluetooth is not vital to meet the criteria for the solution.

Now with what I just said, take a look at the VOQ again. Feels like a phone (unlike the Treo and Blackberry), has the standard qwerty input that is seen in the Blackberry and Treo that corporations seem to love but different then the competitors because no third party server is needed. You can connect directly to an exchange server and VPN is available. Given the fact the VOQ has godlike reception (I’ve never been so impressed by a phones RF before) this is an easy sell to most corporations.

Sierra Wireless knew what they were doing when they made this phone, you just need to understand WHY they did it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
abatis
post Nov 3 2004, 01:24 AM
Post #2

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 626
Phone: Samsung i760
Carrier: Verizon
Secondary Carrier: Sprint
PocketPC: Other

Our Company does work at Department of Energy facilities - no camera phones allowed in many areas.

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN
MGN Making Your Windows Mobile Life Simpler

Main : Samsung i760 - Verizon

+Quote Post
sclui56
post Nov 3 2004, 01:32 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,021

Wouldn't it be nice to have the B/T functionality built-in, and the end-user can choose to enable or disable it? I don't mean the camera though, that function is causing more issues at 80% of the places I go to.

+Quote Post
SatanX
post Nov 3 2004, 02:10 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,106

Would be, but the issue is, who controls who enables it? End user, company has no control....

+Quote Post
sclui56
post Nov 3 2004, 04:07 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,021

company has no control....

Surely the company does, might want to check out the apps from SonicMobility (recently acquired by Avocent). They have some really slick admin tools that are cross-platform, I had a brief demo during the recent Treo RoadShow and these apps answers a lot (not all) of concerns within corporate America.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:42 PM