Eddyj90
post Dec 18 2006, 07:12 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,165
Carrier: Alltel
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: iPod Nano

What is the best way to maximize battery life?

What are some good sites to find downloads? Especially free ones.

What music file formats can I put on my phone?

What video file formats can I put on my phone?

Thank you for all the help!!

This post has been edited by Eddyj90: Dec 18 2006, 07:16 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Dec 18 2006, 09:26 PM
Post #2

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard

QUOTE (Eddyj90 @ Dec 18 2006, 11:12 AM) *
What is the best way to maximize battery life?

Make sure that under settings/connections/beam "receive incoming beams" is not checked. To maximize your battery make sure that setting is UN-checked otherwise you'll drain your battery much faster.

Things that drain the battery fast are listening to music, playing videos, and internet usage. Of course BT and wifi (not an issue on your phone) also drain the battery faster. So, limit all those things and your battery will last the longest.

But, all those things are what you got your phone for! At least I did!! So, I just make sure I have a car charger and the ability to charge at work and at home. I was out shopping yesterday and listened (via BT headset) to music all day (and I mean all day - from 9am until midnight) by charging my phone in the car as I drove from store to store. By the end of the day my phone was down to 60%. Without the additional charging it would last about 5 hours of straight listening to music. Personally, if I couldn't charge so often, I'd carry an extra battery. An extra battery is much lighter and less bulk than carrying around a stand-alone MP3 player. IMHO.

What are some good sites to find downloads? Especially free ones.

Check out http://surrealnetworks.com/mpx/SDAapps.htm for some good utility freebies. They are for the T-Mobile SDA specifically, but that's your phone's cousin. I think with exception of the ClearVue Suite they should work on your phone too. As always, proceed at your own risk.

Other sites that have more than just utilities is http://www.modaco.com (go to the downloads section) & http://www.airfagev.com/

Make sure if you download anything that it is for your operating system. There are apps there for older OS and they might not work right on your phone.

There are other places, but these are known to be reliable and should get you started.

What music file formats can I put on my phone?

What music formats you can play depends on what player you are going to play them with. By default, wmPlayer is what you get and it'll play MP3, WMA, and WAV formats. Other players are capable of more.

What video file formats can I put on my phone?

Same deal with video as music. It totally depends on your player. A good free app to play many formats is called TCPMP (The Core Pocket Media Player). It's a favorite of many.

Thank you for all the help!!

You're welcome. wink.gif And, welcome to MGN! Glad you're hear and posted. Have fun & good luck!

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
Eddyj90
post Dec 18 2006, 09:34 PM
Post #3

Thank you so much, that was great help. Here are a few more questions smile.gif Of course, if you don't mind...

I had a Sony Ericson W600i. Probably the best part of the phone was that the screen was practically unscratchable! Is it the same with this phone?

I have an MP4 of a video. I want to transfer it to my phone. I tried doing it already but it was converted to a music file. What can I do here?

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Dec 18 2006, 10:48 PM
Post #4

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

No, unfortunately, the screen is not practicably unscratchable. I prefer flip phones 'cuz the screen is more protected. BUT, the one's I've had the keypad has left marks on the screen. This kind of phone is open to everything (anything you have in the same pocket). So, either get a good case or one of those thin clear screen protectors to keep your screen in really good shape. Or, just go for it. If I turn my phone sideways in just the right light, I can see little imperfections in the screen. None of these keep me from being able to use my phone. It's really up to you and what your level of being able to stand imperfection is. wink.gif Now, that's all about scratches. As far as just being strong, I'd say the screen would take a lot of force to break. But, I haven't tested that! biggrin.gif

To keep files from being converted when you use ActiveSync to move them to your phone, go to (in ActiveSync) tools\advanced tools\edit file conversion settings and un-check "convert files when synchronized, copied or moved" on the first tab. This way when you move the MP4 video to your phone it will remain in that format.

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Dec 18 2006, 10:50 PM
Post #5

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

and...if the MP4 doesn't play on your phone with the current player you'll either need a player that plays MP4s or convert the file to another format. I don't know the details of either of those situations so I can't give you specifics. Use the "search" feature in the upper right hand corner of this window (blue bar...not the google search, though that could be helpful as well) and search your terms. I'm sure you'll find some interesting stuff.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eddyj90
post Dec 18 2006, 11:08 PM
Post #6

Well my dad put a lil' plastic thing over the phone, so I guess that will do for the protection.

Thanks for the MP4 comment.

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Dec 18 2006, 11:15 PM
Post #7

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

btw...I looked and TCPMP does allow itself to be associated with MP4 files so they should play with that particular player if not the default wmPlayer. Good luck!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eddyj90
post Dec 19 2006, 01:34 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (runningtiger @ Dec 18 2006, 03:15 PM) *
btw...I looked and TCPMP does allow itself to be associated with MP4 files so they should play with that particular player if not the default wmPlayer. Good luck!

Well its just 1 specific file... I can't find it on Google Videos anymore, and YouTube doesn't let you download it.

+Quote Post
Eddyj90
post Dec 20 2006, 03:43 AM
Post #9

I just found out about holding down the END call button, resulting in Locking the keys. Great trick smile.gif

Does anyone have another trick they can show me?

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Dec 20 2006, 07:25 AM
Post #10

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

There are a few more keys with secondary functions. Let's go around the horn...

A quick press of the power button brings up the "quick list" where you can choose to turn the phone off or, put it in flight mode. You can also lock your device or change the profile from here.

After you've started the camera (either by using the dedicated camera button or via the start menu) pushing the camera button will snap a photo or begin video recording (depending on what mode your camera is in). If in video mode, another press of the camera key will stop recording.

A long press of the volume down key brings up the voice recognition program.

A long press of the comm manager key brings up the voice notes program.

And, a short press of the green "dial" key brings up the most recent numbers you've dialed.

Set up speed dials for the programs you use the most and you'll limit the amount of times you have to go into your start menu to actually start a program. For instance, I "speed dial" file manager by pressing 36. I chose that location 'cuz the "f" key is 3 and the "m" key is 6. This way makes it very easy and intuitive to remember where your program speed dials are located.

That's it for the buttons. Here's two tips I would not want to be without...

App unlock your phone (if it isn't already) so you can add the programs you'd like and then you can also rearrange the start menu in a way that's meaningful to you by creating folders and grouping programs together how you want.

Here's the instructions to app unlock your phone:
http://wiki.spv-developers.com/index.php/H...on_Unlock_Guide

With a reg editor, you can also put the folders and apps on your start menu in the order you want by going here:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shell\StartMenu\Order]
and replacing the default order with your preferred order. The original order might look something like this:
Internet Explorer.lnk
Tasks.lnk
Windows Media.lnk
Calendar.lnk
Messaging.lnk
Contacts.lnk
ActiveSync.lnk
Call History.lnk
Settings.lnk
Games
Voice Notes.lnk
Pictures & Videos.lnk
Accessories

My preferred order looks like this (with two new folders I created beforehand using ActiveSync and creating them directly on the phone):
Messaging.lnk
Contacts.lnk
Calendar.lnk
Games
Accessories
MIDlet Manager.lnk
Task Manager.lnk
Internet
Utilities

Putting the "Accessories" folder right there puts in in the center and that is the default position of the "selected" folder when you access your start menu. Put whatever folder you want (use the most) in that position to limit key pushes.

At least, that's how I like my phone setup. You'll come up with your own way...whatever works best for you!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eddyj90
post Dec 20 2006, 05:11 PM
Post #11

Wow thanks alot!! Don't you ever get tired of writing so much for this many people?

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Dec 20 2006, 09:07 PM
Post #12

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

So many questions get asked that I have no clue about. When one comes along I can answer, I let it rip! That you found it helpful, makes it worthwhile.

Good luck with your new phone!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eddyj90
post Dec 21 2006, 01:36 AM
Post #13

Thanks so much.

Oh god, what is RAM? It says 76% used... how do I clear this!?

This post has been edited by Eddyj90: Dec 21 2006, 02:20 AM

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Dec 21 2006, 03:07 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

The RAM is the phone's storage space. It's used by both the phone's OS and programs running, and storage for programs and files. If you have programs, pictures, videos, and ringtones stored on the phone, it will be using up the RAM. If you have a storage card many of these things can be stored on it instead, freeing up the phone's memory.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
Eddyj90
post Dec 21 2006, 04:57 AM
Post #15

I do have programs, around 4. If I were to move these to the smartcard, would I have to adjust anything to get to them like i regularly do?

As for pictures, videos, etc... no, nothing! This is what it says:

"TOTAL MEMORY 66MB
Programs: 47% (20.98mb/45.1mb used)
RAM Storage: 12.25mb/20.9mb used)"

Oh dear... am I making a big fuss about this when I shouldn't be?

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Dec 21 2006, 06:34 AM
Post #16

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Be clear that you can't just "move" the programs from your phone's memory to your storage card. You'd need to uninstall the program via ActiveSync or through the settings/remove programs menu. Then, re-install the program and when it asks, choose to install it on the storage card. Not all programs give you a choice though. For those, you're just stuck. And, even though a lot of programs will let you choose to install to the storage card they still dump a certain amount of stuff onto the phone's memory. That's just the way it works and you can't change it. So, I hope you have a really big storage card 'cuz your phone's memory will fill up fast! I've got 2G and only have it half full and I've got a TON of stuff on it.

Your question was would you have to do anything different to access your programs on the storage card and the answer is no. If you do it like I just said, the installation will create an icon on the start menu pointing to the appropriate place.

As far as the amount of memory you have left, as you can see you've only installed four programs and you're about half full. But, it really depends on how you're going to use your phone. If you like to load a lot of applications then you better have a large storage card and start installing to it everything that you can. If on the other hand, the phone right out of the box meets most your needs and you're not gonna add much you might be just fine as is. Time will tell...

I put everything I possibly can on my storage card and still my phone is running out of memory. I just set up a Cingular 3125 (to give as a gift) and the phone doesn't need much added to it so I've stored everything on the phone. It's got a lot of memory and so it's OK. It's just the way it is. Bottom line, you're not making a big fuss you're just learning. We all started at the beginning where you're at now. Have fun!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eddyj90
post Dec 22 2006, 01:52 AM
Post #17

Ok thanks.

And I feel, all of a sudden, thats when I type on this phone, its just strange... this isn't a very easy phone to type on, is it?

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Dec 22 2006, 02:23 AM
Post #18

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

No, not really. But, it's all relative. Easier than what? I hear my phone's keypad is worse than yours! Harder than what? A QWERTY thumbpad? Have you tried some of those?!? You'll get used to it and it'll get easier. You won't write a novel, but it's easy enough to compose an email or text message with. Are you using the T9 feature? Getting used to that can really speed things up.

If you haven't found it already, press and hold the * key until a menu pops up where you can choose what input method you want to use. Symbols and 123 are self explanatory. Abc is the method where you have to press the "2" key three times to type a "C". T9 English is where you press the "2" key just once followed by your other letter keys and the phone guesses the word you're meaning to type - or, will offer you choices if there are several words it could be. It's actually very easy to do and to get used to. You'll be surprised how well it does at picking the right word. Plus it learns! If you enter a word it doesn't know it'll let you save it to your personal dictionary and the next time you type that sequence of letters it'll get it right.

While we're at it...when texting, if you press and hold the # key it'll bring up a bunch of "Symbols" in case you need something other than a letter. Once you choose the symbol you want it automatically returns you to what you were typing. And, lastly, I said if you press and hold the * key you'll get the menu to choose your input syle. If you just press (don't hold) you'll toggle either into capitilization mode or cycle through the input methods. Play with it so this will make sense to you.

Back to keypads...the keypad on the Cingular 3125 (in my opinion) is VERY easy to type on. I can T9 as fast on that thing (two thumbed) as I can on a full-out qwerty thumbpad. But, I'm pretty good on my iddy-biddy keypad too...now. It took some time. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eddyj90
post Dec 22 2006, 02:37 AM
Post #19

Thanks for those tips. Very helpful. I think I got to get things speeded up. I could compose so quickly on my other phone.

As for T9, I have a bit more trouble with that. Is it worth getting used to?

Runningtiger, I have to thank you so much for everything you are helping me with!!

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Dec 22 2006, 03:24 AM
Post #20

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Glad to help and T9 is very worthwhile IMHO!

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:18 PM