IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Trying to create WM5 for Everyone, but I need help, Need some help to crack it
wen1
post Dec 6 2005, 01:57 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,730

If i do get hold of the file. How do i edit it to make it work on my phone ?

QUOTE (KingDaddy @ Nov 30 2005, 04:11 PM)
Awesome!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Firefly
post Dec 6 2005, 06:03 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 7,964
Phone: MPx200
Carrier: Other
PocketPC: Other

QUOTE (Sean @ Dec 1 2005, 03:11 AM)
Wow, like that's not illegal...  That guy has balls.

Interestingly, the same guy started this thread...

--------------------
MPx200 WM5 : SanDisk 1GB
RAZR V3i : SanDisk 512MB

+Quote Post
darkoverlord
post Dec 6 2005, 06:31 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 10,438
PocketPC: HTC
PMC: Other

Look folks, I just wanted to say that this I can put this on other phones, but only from my system, as you have to be able to access the Microsoft VPN, so the fact that you guys are all crapping on me, about offering to upgrade your phones, the money is to cover the cost of shipping, and my time, that is it. I am not selling the OS, as I am quite aware that is not allowed.

Anyways, just thought I would put my 2 cents in, as everyone wants to say I am some chump, trying to scam people, and I really am not.

DarkOverlord

--------------------
I will sleep in my next Life

+Quote Post
Sean
post Dec 6 2005, 11:48 AM
Post #24

Site Founder
Group Icon

Group: Senior Admin
Member No.: 1
Phone: Cingular Blackjack
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
MP3 Player: iPod Nano
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: murphy dot sean at g mail dot com

No No No... We are not calling you a chump or anything else. It is just this, back in the day (alright it was a year and a half ago) when the MPx200 was king, we had quite a bit of traffic on this site from people looking to upgrade their phones to WM2003. We had quite a few people who were distributing ROMs and helping out in this endeavor. The result? We got our pee-pees slapped by Microsoft. Not officially but we were in effect told, stop or you will hear from our lawyer. Now that was not the first lawyer threat we got nor will it be the last however, I am much more afraid of MS Lawyer 2.0 than any fool that the old AT&T Wireless could send my way so we had to put an end tot the ROM business around here.

The rub for me is that even though I have never distributed a ROM (in any traceable sort of way) I am the HMFIC and by being that, I am liable for what happens here and I really can't let MGN adversely effect the Murphy family. Simple truth.

So short story long... I don't think you are a chump, heck I am impressed (although you never did answer my PM...) and think that a MPx200 with WM5 would rock but we just can't cross the line on distribution here.

--------------------
Sean Murphy
Editor
Mobile Gadget News

Main Devices - Cingular 8125, Sony/Ericsson GC83 Edge Card, PSP, Creative ZEN PMC, iPod Nano, Mobile Crossing BT GPS

+Quote Post
danshin
post Dec 6 2005, 03:29 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 10,657

QUOTE (darkoverlord @ Dec 6 2005, 06:31 AM)
Look folks, I just wanted to say that this I can put this on other phones, but only from my system, as you have to be able to access the Microsoft VPN, so the fact that you guys are all crapping on me, about offering to upgrade your phones, the money is to cover the cost of shipping, and my time, that is it.  I am not selling the OS, as I am quite aware that is not allowed.

Anyways, just thought I would put my 2 cents in, as everyone wants to say I am some chump, trying to scam people, and I really am not.

DarkOverlord

Hey Dark,

Does the MPx200 function properly with WM5? Can you make and received calls with it since I've heard that radio wasn't completed the WM5 version of MPx200. Is the version of WM5 you are working with RTM or Beta version?

Thanks.

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Dec 6 2005, 03:32 PM
Post #26

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

as you have to be able to access the Microsoft VPN
Maybe you could explain this a bit more to me. I, like Sean, would be terrified of MS sending their attack dogs after me. If you have to connect to their VPN to perform the upgrade, don't they have some way of logging who you are and how many times you are doing the upgrade? To quote a wise man:

That guy has balls.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
gsmnutt
post Dec 6 2005, 09:23 PM
Post #27

Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 9,541
Phone: i-Mate Ultimate
PocketPC: HP iPAQ

QUOTE (darkoverlord @ Dec 6 2005, 01:31 AM)
Look folks, I just wanted to say that this I can put this on other phones, but only from my system, as you have to be able to access the Microsoft VPN, so the fact that you guys are all crapping on me, about offering to upgrade your phones, the money is to cover the cost of shipping, and my time, that is it.  I am not selling the OS, as I am quite aware that is not allowed.

DarkOverlord

I don't think many of us are saying that you are directly scamming; In fact, your price didn't seem all that bad at all considering how rare it is to get WM5 on MPX200. Its more of the fact that you are getting for your time/efforts but the copyright holder/developers aren't getting paid for THEIR time/efforts spent developing the OS which many of us feel isn't right. Play time is play time; whether someone is profiting changes the situation entirely. I, personally, didn't know you needed MS VPN access to do this which makes a little more sence why you wouldn't be selling the upgrade.

Either way, I must congratulate you on being able to install on any phone. That is an amazing accomplishment! Curious: How do you have access to MS VPN? You would have to know someone who works at MS, woudn't you? As smeg36 pointed out, you may want to watch out for logs...

+Quote Post
post Dec 8 2005, 02:19 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 10,681
Carrier: o2
PocketPC: Dell

how did you manage to change resolution. wm 5.0 was created only for qvga screens meaning 320X240, mpx200 is only 220X176???

+Quote Post
Sean
post Dec 8 2005, 02:35 PM
Post #29

Site Founder
Group Icon

QUOTE (1983 @ Dec 8 2005, 10:19 AM)
how did you manage to change resolution. wm 5.0 was created only for qvga screens meaning 320X240, mpx200 is only 220X176???

Actually, WM 5.0 is resolution friendly. You can use it on any resolution you set it up for, it just happens that almost all the phones that are coming out with WM5 are QVGA. I have WM5 running on a SMT5600 (in the classifieds section if you want it) and it scales to 220x with no issues.

--------------------
Sean Murphy
Editor
Mobile Gadget News

Main Devices - Cingular 8125, Sony/Ericsson GC83 Edge Card, PSP, Creative ZEN PMC, iPod Nano, Mobile Crossing BT GPS

+Quote Post
post Dec 8 2005, 08:22 PM
Post #30

QUOTE (Sean @ Dec 8 2005, 02:35 PM)
Actually, WM 5.0 is resolution friendly.  You can use it on any resolution you set it up for, it just happens that almost all the phones that are coming out with WM5 are QVGA.  I have WM5 running on a SMT5600 (in the classifieds section if you want it) and it scales to 220x with no issues.

im sorry, but wheres de classifieds section? thanx

+Quote Post
Sean
post Dec 8 2005, 09:19 PM
Post #31

Site Founder
Group Icon

QUOTE (1983 @ Dec 8 2005, 04:22 PM)
im sorry, but wheres de classifieds section? thanx

The forum is here:
http://www.mobilegadgetnews.com/index.php?showforum=8

Direct post link here:
http://www.mobilegadgetnews.com/index.php?showtopic=10355

--------------------
Sean Murphy
Editor
Mobile Gadget News

+Quote Post
gsmnutt
post Dec 9 2005, 12:33 AM
Post #32

Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 9,541
PocketPC: HP iPAQ

Hey... A question for those of you lucky WM5 MPXers: How is the signal when running WM5? I tested signal on WM2002 vs. 2003 (using MPX200) and I can say from my tests that the 2002 had noticably better signal (not a WHOLE lot...but enough to make it worth running 2002). Does WM5 appear to have better signal? Just curious tongue.gif ... I believe it has a different radio stack than 2003 (hopefully better). Thanks to all you beta testers!

+Quote Post
wen1
post Dec 10 2005, 02:56 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 2,730

I wonder if we will ever get out hands on WM5. I do not want to be without my phone for two weeks by shippind it to the seller on ebay.

+Quote Post
samdogg
post Dec 19 2005, 07:19 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 9,348
Carrier: T-Mobile

Look on Ebay for it. You dont have to ship your phone anymore.

--------------------
MPX200 unlocked with WM 5 and T-Mobile

RAZR V3 Unbranded Firmware with T-Mobile

+Quote Post
post Dec 19 2005, 02:08 PM
Post #35

lol

This post has been edited by 1983: Dec 21 2005, 01:21 AM

+Quote Post
sofene
post Dec 21 2005, 10:06 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 7,904
PocketPC: Toshiba

QUOTE (samdogg @ Dec 19 2005, 07:19 AM)
Look on Ebay for it. You dont have to ship your phone anymore.
That chunks overboard the argument about charging 25 bucks for shipping the phone. In comparison, the 2003 upgrade was available for about 2 bucks.

+Quote Post
SyubSnunb
post Dec 21 2005, 11:41 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 6,988
Carrier: Alltel
PocketPC: Other

OK, I got WM5 to load onto my old MPX200. I'll describe the process I used but I won't provide any links. Basically the WM5 rom distro that I found was three .bin files, a flash program, and a process with which to flash these to the phone. Basically the instructions state that you need a key to run the flash program, and you have to pay someone through an ebay auction. But what they don't tell you is that you can use the motorola mobile upgrade wizard to flash these files to your 200. The key is converting them from .bin files to .img files using a chinese tool called mpx200_backup. Then just follow the process laid out in the instructions included with the distro. Here is a summary:
1. remove SD and SIM and connect device
2. flash with part1.img
3. disconnect and remove battery
4. replace battery
5. master reset
6. device ID should be displayed along with an error message
7. remove battery
8. replace battery
9. put in SD card (you need at least 32MB) and reconnect
10. flash with part2.img
11. flash with part3.img
12. disconnect device and remove battery
13. replace battery
14. master reset, but options are different now (choose clean reg hive and format storage)
15. wait until complete
16. enjoy

Note: I came across the mpx200_backup utility in a search for away to SIM unlock my phone without paying anything or screwing up the IMEI. I'm sure everyone here knows about the fix.img file that will SIM unlock your 200 but will also screwup the IMEI. Well using the mpx200_backup you can choose to backup the 256K part of the phone that holds the SIM lock and IMEI information. If you find the appropriate tool online to combine your backup and the fix.img file you can then flash that to your phone and remove the SIM lock without damaging your IMEI.

+Quote Post
post Dec 22 2005, 01:08 PM
Post #38

QUOTE (SyubSnunb @ Dec 21 2005, 11:41 PM)
OK, I got WM5 to load onto my old MPX200.  I'll describe the process I used but I won't provide any links.  Basically the WM5 rom distro that I found was three .bin files, a flash program, and a process with which to flash these to the phone.  Basically the instructions state that you need a key to run the flash program, and you have to pay someone through an ebay auction.  But what they don't tell you is that you can use the motorola mobile upgrade wizard to flash these files to your 200.  The key is converting them from .bin files to .img files using a chinese tool called mpx200_backup.  Then just follow the process laid out in the instructions included with the distro.  Here is a summary:
1. remove SD and SIM and connect device
2. flash with part1.img
3. disconnect and remove battery
4. replace battery
5. master reset
6. device ID should be displayed along with an error message
7. remove battery
8. replace battery
9. put in SD card (you need at least 32MB) and reconnect
10. flash with part2.img
11. flash with part3.img
12. disconnect device and remove battery
13. replace battery
14. master reset, but options are different now (choose clean reg hive and format storage)
15. wait until complete
16. enjoy

Note:  I came across the mpx200_backup utility in a search for away to SIM unlock my phone without paying anything or screwing up the IMEI.  I'm sure everyone here knows about the fix.img file that will SIM unlock your 200 but will also screwup the IMEI.  Well using the mpx200_backup you can choose to backup the 256K part of the phone that holds the SIM lock and IMEI information.  If you find the appropriate tool online to combine your backup and the fix.img file you can then flash that to your phone and remove the SIM lock without damaging your IMEI.

yes!!!!! it work!!!!!!!!!!! thanks!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Dec 22 2005, 02:14 PM
Post #39

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch

Wow, good work SyubSnunb. How did you come up with that idea to convert them from .bin to .img files? I would have been so worried about flashing them and bricking my phone.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
KingDaddy
post Dec 22 2005, 04:46 PM
Post #40

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 188

Maybe it was my asking if that would work on HoFo on Monday...

I would have tried myself but I was already done. Beside, I don't have a spare phone. I need my PMx to work until Xmas when I can start using my new PPC6700!

--------------------
Lambrettas: 1974 Jet 200

Vespas: 1987 PK50XLS Plurimatic, 2001 ET4 150

Clearance: Interim Top Secret

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 04:01 AM