IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> text font, How do you increase the text font?
Big-Sy
post Nov 2 2006, 07:43 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,651

Excuse these new user questions but I cannot find the answers in the manual or from the Motorola help desk. :(
Can you increase the size of the font used to display the text / SMS messages? I could do with making it bigger, either that or I need to buy some glasses. And I cannot get the T9 predictive text function to show up, pressing the * button toggles the function from ABC and 123 any thoughts out there?

This post has been edited by Big-Sy: Nov 2 2006, 07:44 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Nov 2 2006, 09:57 AM
Post #2

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: Alltel

Welcome to MGN! You done good to find your way here. And, besides the two places you mentioned looking for answers, the "search" utility on this board (located in the upper right hand corner of any page) is also very helpful. You can always try typing a few key words into it and see what it comes up with. You might not always get exactly what you're looking for, but you'll always find something interesting!

Now, on to your specific questions...

To make the font larger go to the settings menu and choose "accessibility" then change the system font size to large. It is quite large. ohmy.gif blink.gif rolleyes.gif Seems to me there should be something between the "normal" setting and the "large". I guess that where 1x readers come in handy. laugh.gif Changing this setting will not only increase the SMS font size but the contacts menu etc.

To get to T9 press and hold the * until a menu pops up then choose "English". You should see the t9 symbol appear up by the signal strength indicator in the top bar. Now when you press the * again you'll be toggling between capitalization modes and non-capitalization.

Once again, welcome and good luck!

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
Big-Sy
post Nov 2 2006, 08:26 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (runningtiger @ Nov 2 2006, 09:57 AM) *
Welcome to MGN! You done good to find your way here. And, besides the two places you mentioned looking for answers, the "search" utility on this board (located in the upper right hand corner of any page) is also very helpful. You can always try typing a few key words into it and see what it comes up with. You might not always get exactly what you're looking for, but you'll always find something interesting!

Now, on to your specific questions...

To make the font larger go to the settings menu and choose "accessibility" then change the system font size to large. It is quite large. ohmy.gif blink.gif rolleyes.gif Seems to me there should be something between the "normal" setting and the "large". I guess that where 1x readers come in handy. laugh.gif Changing this setting will not only increase the SMS font size but the contacts menu etc.

To get to T9 press and hold the * until a menu pops up then choose "English". You should see the t9 symbol appear up by the signal strength indicator in the top bar. Now when you press the * again you'll be toggling between capitalization modes and non-capitalization.

Once again, welcome and good luck!

Thanks for your help

Symon

+Quote Post
Big-Sy
post Nov 2 2006, 08:26 PM
Post #4

Sorry to be a pain but in accessibility I only get a screen with Multipress time out, confirmation time out, in-call alert volume and smart dial setting. Nothing about font size!
And: pressing the * button does not pop up any menus just toggles the between 123 and ABC. this is when I am in the SMS screen. That is where I should be, yes?

This post has been edited by Big-Sy: Nov 2 2006, 08:27 PM

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Nov 2 2006, 08:52 PM
Post #5

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

What ROM is on your MPx200? The MPx200 originally came with wm2002 but many have been upgraded (flashed) to run wm2003 (mine) or wm5. I can't help you with 2002 or wm5 since I've never seen them on this phone myself.

We must be running different ROMs 'cuz system font size is the first thing on my accessibility settings list and I don't have the smart dial setting you refer to. And, yes, when creating a text message (SMS), when I press and hold the * key a menu pops up with 5 choices: 123, ABC, Symbols, English, and Languages.

To find out what ROM you're using return to your settings menu and then select "About". Mine says:

MS Windows Smartphone 2003
version 4.20.0 (build 13349)
Radio Version 0
<blah>
<blah>
<blah>
Operator: 4.20.13349.0
Manufacturer: 3.70.23.0
Microsoft: 4.20.13349.0
Language: 4.20.13349.0
File System: 4.20.13349.0
then a bunch more <blah>

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
Big-Sy
post Nov 3 2006, 05:46 AM
Post #6

MS Windows Smartphone 2003 Same
version 4.20.0 (build 13349) same
Radio Version 0 version 1
<blah>
<blah>
<blah>
Operator: 4.20.13349.0 3.70.91.0
Manufacturer: 3.70.23.0 3.70.91.0
Microsoft: 4.20.13349.0 same
Language: 4.20.13349.0 3.70.91.0
File System: 4.20.13349.0 same
then a bunch more <blah>
[/quote]

So looking at that it would seem mine is 2003 but with a different operator manufacturer and language, whatever that might mean.

Any further suggestions?

This post has been edited by Big-Sy: Nov 3 2006, 05:47 AM

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Nov 3 2006, 09:20 AM
Post #7

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

There was more than one version (none of them official) of wm2003 for the MPx200. Ours are different and so I don't know how to do what you're trying to do. So, I'm out of suggestions. I hope someone more knowledgeable than I pipes in here and can help you. Good luck!

--------------------

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Nov 3 2006, 10:09 AM
Post #8

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

I just searched the MPx200 forum to see if there was a post regarding your problem. Unfortunately, I didn't find anything. If you don't get any help on changing the font size and depending on how big a problem this is for you (and how brave you are) you might consider flashing the ROM to a different one.

But, let me tell you...I was not joking when I showed how big the font is if you choose that option on my phone. It's very big. But, what I'm wondering is if the font on my phone is larger to begin with? I'll work on getting a screen shot to show you and will post that ASAP...tomorrow hopefully. I'm wondering if the font on mine is already bigger 'cuz I need reading glasses for my current phone, but never had problems reading my MPx200. My reading glasses are 1.75+, which is not a huge correction so that might give you some idea.

We can't tell you where to find the ROM (that's against this site's rules) but there are more than a few people who've done it and can help you through the process (once you have the ROM downloaded on your computer).

I remember reading about two versions...Cartman & Super Moto. Does your phone show a picture of Cartman from South Park when it boots or a red-ish flower? Mine has the flower. I bought my phone and it already had been updated to 2003, so I've never updated the MPx200 ROM therefore I won't be able to help with this at all.

According to smartphonehistory.com these are the two ROM versions available:

As you can see this matches perfectly to what we posted about our versions earlier. I take it that means you have the Cartman version.

--------------------

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Nov 4 2006, 01:25 AM
Post #9

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

OK, here's the screenshots to show you what I've been talking about:

Attached Image

The last screenshot shows selecting "t9" (called "English").
I hope you find this helpful. Good luck!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:33 AM