IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Best way to go about GPS for SMT 5600?
orion2087
post Jul 20 2005, 05:47 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,385
Phone: SMT5600
Carrier: Alltel
PocketPC: Dell

What would some of you guys recommend as far as software and/or hardware goes for a GPS system with my 5600?

--------------------
[CENTER][ Samsung x426 > Sony Ericsson T630 > Motorola MPx220 > Audiovox SMT 5600 ]
user posted image
[ HP iPAQ H1910 > Dell Axim X50v ][/CENTER]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jul 20 2005, 10:17 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

For software, get Mapopolis. The program is free, so you can get updates whenever they are available. They have trial maps on their website, www.mapopolis.com, so you can try out all aspects of it before you buy. Then if you do buy, you can purchase just the counties you visit mos (I think they are $9.95/county), or the whole US for $99.

For a receiver, I got a Holux GR-230 on ebay for $75, and have been very happy with it. There are many sub-$100 bluetooth GPS receivers on ebay.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
davinci27
post Jul 20 2005, 12:46 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,729

I second smeg36's suggestings. I purchased a cheap bluetooth gps off ebay. I think it was an aktronix. It works fine. Biggest problem is it takes it about 2 minutes to acquire satelites, but once it has them it's good to go. It does have a rechargable battery that lasts about 15-20 hours. Plus the batteries are the same ones used by cheap nokia phones, so you can buy desktop charges and extra batteries off ebay.

I also picked up the mapopolis software and love it. It works really well, and the trial downloads are fully functioning maps that last 7 days. I bought the Full US for $99, but belive me it is worth it. The maps have 100's of waypoints and destinations already in them. Just the other day I was somewhere I'd never been pulled up mapopolis looked through the list of reastaurants and off I went to enjoy some chinese buffet.

Download the software and a couple of maps. you can play with the routing and get a good idea of how the software works. I'm leaving for a vacation to myrtle beach this week and haven't even begun to look at a map. I know my trusty 5600 will get me there no problem.

Ben

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Jul 20 2005, 02:08 PM
Post #4

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,097
Phone: Other
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: Creative
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: eric.d.jones (at) gmail.com

I can only echo the comments already made. I am using Mapopolis on my 5600 with a Global SAT GPS unit. I also want to let everyone know (or remind), that Mapopolis is on the verge of a new release. I have been beta testing with them for the last 7 months (yes 7 months, they want to make sure they get it right). I can tell you that it is so much more advanced these days as compared to the current version. Keep in mind when the last version was released there weren't too many GPS/Phone capabilities so it seems to be pretty basic. They have added and improved so much that it is unbelivable and in my opinion is a top contender for the best software out there. Stay tuned for the release, it should be in the coming weeks.

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps, Infantry
Currently using an iPhone
My Gadget History : AT&T Tilt,
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post
Dazoro
post Jul 20 2005, 07:35 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,772
Phone: SX66/PDA2k
Carrier: T-Mobile

How well do these GPS receivers work inside the car? Do you need to add the external antenna?

--------------------
Andy
SX66, MPX200 with T-Mo

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jul 20 2005, 08:11 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

I use only use mine in the car, and I don't have an external antenna. It does seem to work MUCH better when I put it up near the sunroof than on the dash board though. I think that may have something to do with my windshield being slightly tinted. The past couple of days I used it while in Miami apartment hunting in a Ford Taurus rental car, and it worked great sitting on the dash.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Jul 21 2005, 01:25 AM
Post #7

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,097
Phone: Other
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
MP3 Player: Creative
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: eric.d.jones (at) gmail.com

Just to add my 2cents, mine works fine velcroed (?) on the dash. I have noticed though that the longer I go without using it then it will take up to a couple of minutes to get a lock with the sats. I try not to keep mine on the dash in the summer heat though, as I am sure that can take it's toll. Once I have a connection I keep it unless I am under a "mixing bowl" (layers of overpasses), or in a tunnel for a prolonged period of time. Guess it can also depend on the angle of your windshield as well though...

BTW: Works pretty well from within the pocket as well, when on foot... (using GlobalSAT BT GPS).

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps, Infantry
Currently using an iPhone
My Gadget History : AT&T Tilt,
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:22 PM