> New to Voq and looking for some tips
Immolator
post Jan 17 2006, 10:50 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,032
Phone: Voq
Carrier: T-Mobile

hi, i just got the voq professional phone yesterday and have been spending some time with it. but still a couple small things bug me about it.

is there anyway to make the phone read mp3s as ringtones off the sdcard? why does it only read mp3s as ringtones off my phone's internal memory?

whats the best resolution to compress video clips to to view in full screen(and maybe with subtitles) for this phone?

is there any better voice recognition software on the market, maybe a program that will allow me to add voicetags to contacts on my sim card and not just on internal contacts? is there a way to mass move my sim conctacts to the phone memory or do i have to do that one at a time?

whats the best res. for jpg/gifs ?

is there any better software for playing video clips? maybe allowing more formats

thats about all i can think of now. thanks for helping and not flaming my newbieness :P
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jan 17 2006, 11:07 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

I'll try to answer your questions.

1) Every Smartphone is slightly different with what they read off the SD as ringtones. The one consistent format is WAV. I'm pretty sure the Voq can read WAV or WMA from the SD as rings, so just convert the file you want to use to either of those.

2) The screen is 220x176, so encode them to that resolution. I recommend encoding to avi then using TCPMP to play the files. That yeilds by far the best results I've seen.

3) Fonix Voicedial is probably the best third-party voice recognition software. Don't know if you can use SIM contacts though.

4) As I said, the screen is 220x176 so that is the best resolution

5) The afore mentioned TCPMP is by far the best all around player for Smartphones.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
abatis
post Jan 17 2006, 11:20 PM
Post #3

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 626
Phone: Samsung i760
Carrier: Verizon
Secondary Carrier: Sprint
PocketPC: Other

Smeg and I think alike here are some links: I don't have time to answer all of your questions but I highly recommend The Core Pocket Media Player for playing videos on the VOQ. You can install it on the SD card and it will run fine. Also I would recommend you encode to Smartphone format using PocketDivXEncoder These are both FREE! However it is nice to support what you like.

Generally a full movie will end up being about 180+- MB. Use a card reader to transfer movies to your SD card as it will save time and a headache with ActiveSync.

For formating picture size I highly recommend using Microsoft PowerToys Image Resizer. It has a setting to resize to Smartphone or PDA size plus custom.

I also recommend using ActiveSync Remote Display which is part of the Delveloper Powertoys from MS to input text and what not from your PC screen into your phone. Saves time on setting etc.

regards

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN
MGN Making Your Windows Mobile Life Simpler

Main : Samsung i760 - Verizon

+Quote Post
Immolator
post Jan 18 2006, 08:40 AM
Post #4

thanks for the great help
that tcpmp program works great

either of you 2 know how to change some of the pics in windowsmobile on the voq pro phone? like maybe the pic the phone displays when someone is calling or i call someone.

also: when i run tcpmp and go to options and see what specs this voq phone has, it says its running an ARM processor. i thought the voq pro phone was xscale? should i be looking for ARM programs?

edit:

i just tried what you said about converting an mp3 to wav and saving it to the sd card and trying to get the phone to use it as a ringtone off the card...but it didn't work. in settings>sounds>ring tone: box it just brings up a list of whats in storage/application data/sounds
does anyone know of a way to change the default folder that windows mobile 2003 looks in for ring tone files?

This post has been edited by Immolator: Jan 18 2006, 10:11 AM

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jan 18 2006, 03:06 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Place the WAV file either in no folder at all on the SD, or create a My Documents and put it in there. I always place in straight on the SD, not in any folders, and it works great.

All processors for the Smartphone are ARM based, even the X-Scale. Subsequently, all programs are designed for ARM processors.

--------------------

+Quote Post
abatis
post Jan 18 2006, 06:22 PM
Post #6

Site Administrator
Group Icon

This thread got me started playing with my Voq again. I added T-Zones to my account and it works great. The VOQ advantage is that keypad. Still my favotite on a phone.

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN

+Quote Post
Immolator
post Jan 18 2006, 08:15 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Jan 18 2006, 08:06 AM)
Place the WAV file either in no folder at all on the SD, or create a My Documents and put it in there.  I always place in straight on the SD, not in any folders, and it works great.

All processors for the Smartphone are ARM based, even the X-Scale.  Subsequently, all programs are designed for ARM processors.

kick @$$!~!!!
i put my mp3s in the root of hte sd card and the phone reads em!!!
thanks a lot!

so i should be looking for ARM software?

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jan 18 2006, 09:43 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

All Smartphones are ARM based, so all Smartphone software is compatable. Just make sure it is for the MS Smartphone, no need to check processor compatability.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Immolator
post Jan 21 2006, 10:21 AM
Post #9

here's a small problem

ive been trying to change the voq startup sound.wav into the intro to slayer's raining blood

it worked the first try, but hasn't worked since
sine then i've tried changing it to a different song or sound but with no luck.

what is the default filename for the voq startup sound.wav in storage/application data/sounds (i thought thats what it was, but maybe i'm wrong)

and maybe is there a limit to the quality a wav can be on this phone?(stereo vs mono 16bit vs 8bit)

PS: are there any decent games for this phone/windows mobile 2003? maybe a snes/nes emulator? or any other game...the ones it comes with are boring! smile.gif

thanks

+Quote Post
Sean
post Jan 21 2006, 02:39 PM
Post #10

Site Founder
Group Icon

Group: Senior Admin
Member No.: 1
Phone: Cingular Blackjack
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: iPod Nano
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: murphy dot sean at g mail dot com

I'm guessing that you put your Slayer tune in a folder that gets over written on boot up. You will need to edit your registry to link to a file in user storage, not sure what path would be the best but something in the /Storage folder. If you drop it in the /Windows folder it will get written over from Rom on re-boot.

For games, as I recall from my Voq, the Mad Beetle (http://www.madbeetle.com) games worked well overall. They have some fun (addictive) games, also the stuff from PDA Mill is good (http://www.pdamill.com/).

QUOTE (Immolator @ Jan 21 2006, 06:21 AM)
here's a small problem
ive been trying to change the voq startup sound.wav into the intro to slayer's raining blood

it worked the first try, but hasn't worked since
sine then i've tried changing it to a different song or sound but with no luck.

what is the default filename for the voq startup sound.wav in storage/application data/sounds (i thought thats what it was, but maybe i'm wrong)

and maybe is there a limit to the quality a wav can be on this phone?(stereo vs mono 16bit vs 8bit)
PS: are there any decent games for this phone/windows mobile 2003?  maybe a snes/nes emulator? or any other game...the ones it comes with are boring! smile.gif

thanks

--------------------
Sean Murphy
Editor
Mobile Gadget News

Main Devices - Cingular 8125, Sony/Ericsson GC83 Edge Card, PSP, Creative ZEN PMC, iPod Nano, Mobile Crossing BT GPS

+Quote Post
Immolator
post Jan 22 2006, 07:04 PM
Post #11

i dunno if the sound file is being overwritten or not. when i start up the phone, instead of the Voq Starup Sound.wav in /storage/application data/sounds, it plays a ding sound.
but i'll try your suggestion and find a registry editor and change the link to point at the .wav file

+Quote Post
TheFug
post Mar 12 2006, 10:38 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 11,477

QUOTE (Immolator @ Jan 22 2006, 08:04 PM) *
i dunno if the sound file is being overwritten or not. when i start up the phone, instead of the Voq Starup Sound.wav in /storage/application data/sounds, it plays a ding sound.
but i'll try your suggestion and find a registry editor and change the link to point at the .wav file

.wav files are only accepted when they have the aprox. 20kHz sample rate,
just checkout the specs of the ringtones allready on the phone : Storage/Application Data/Sounds/
When you store .wav files of this format in the root of the SD card you can also select them as a sound for any function of your phone you don't have to put them in the above mentioned map, btw File View of DAT Enterprises www.datgroup.com is a free file-explorer, dat is handy to use on the VOQ.

+Quote Post
snaseer
post May 2 2006, 05:42 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 11,972

Hi all,

I ned help here;

I have VOQ (I believe it a10). Problem I have on the Setting menu if I select to work on the I get Error "The settings could not be opened". This started after I deleted (installed and unistalled few pgm from SD card). I am no tempted to re-install OS but I do not see any option on the CD. Pl suggest what may have happened and what is possible solution.

Thanks in advance

+Quote Post
smeg36
post May 2 2006, 06:58 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

I'd do a hard reset and see if that clears it up. You can find directions on how to do this here.

--------------------

+Quote Post
abatis
post May 2 2006, 07:51 PM
Post #15

Site Administrator
Group Icon

You can get the latest Voq OS here . Make sure you have the latest. It also updates Windows Media Player to 10.

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN

+Quote Post
snaseer
post May 2 2006, 10:16 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (smeg36 @ May 2 2006, 12:58 PM) *
I'd do a hard reset and see if that clears it up. You can find directions on how to do this here.

Thanks a lotttt.

Hard reset worked. My menu options are working now. This is great forum for help, today is first time I got googled to this forum, nice place for tips.

Thanks again.

+Quote Post
snaseer
post May 2 2006, 10:24 PM
Post #17

QUOTE (abatis @ May 2 2006, 01:51 PM) *
You can get the latest Voq OS here . Make sure you have the latest. It also updates Windows Media Player to 10.

Thanks.

I am already on latest version.

There is lot of help under the url you provided.

+Quote Post
smeg36
post May 2 2006, 11:48 PM
Post #18

Group Icon

Glad you're happy. I actually just won a Voq on ebay, so I'll be among the Voq owners again. Yipee.

--------------------

+Quote Post
abatis
post May 3 2006, 01:23 AM
Post #19

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Smeg - I am looking at my Voq laying on my desk and still happy to have it. In fact I have had it the longest of any Windows Mobile Device and plan to keep it. I can test the T-Zones email for you as I am on the T-zones plan with mine.

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN

+Quote Post
snaseer
post May 3 2006, 10:06 PM
Post #20

QUOTE (smeg36 @ May 2 2006, 05:48 PM) *
Glad you're happy. I actually just won a Voq on ebay, so I'll be among the Voq owners again. Yipee.

I bought it from the ebay as well for $100 (brand new with no S&H) sometimes in Feb-06

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:11 PM