IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Anyone know how to get out of a 2yr contract?, Moving to Canada & cing/at&t not there
Canuck
post Feb 15 2005, 09:17 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,078

I've generally been happy with my MPX200 but I'm moving back to Canada at the end of month. My problem is that Cingular doesn't have a presence in Canada so they told me I can either pay the $175 cancellation cost (I have 1 year left on the contract) or I can pay another $10 a month for a National plan but I'll have to use a US area code (i.e. my current phone number).

If they could provide me with a local phone number I wouldn't care, but with their National plan people are going to have to call a long distance number to contact me. Anyone have any experience cancelling the AT&T / Cingular contracts or know a loophole since they can't really provide me with proper service?

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FiReBReTHa
post Feb 15 2005, 10:15 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,108

QUOTE (Canuck @ Feb 15 2005, 09:17 PM)
I've generally been happy with my MPX200 but I'm moving back to Canada at the end of month.  My problem is that Cingular doesn't have a presence in Canada so they told me I can either pay the $175 cancellation cost (I have 1 year left on the contract) or I can pay another $10 a month for a National plan but I'll have to use a US area code (i.e. my current phone number).

If they could provide me with a local phone number I wouldn't care, but with their National plan people are going to have to call a long distance number to contact me.  Anyone have any experience cancelling the AT&T / Cingular contracts or know a loophole since they can't really provide me with proper service?

Thanks.

im going to canada, here's my utility bill to prove im here. When they pull the whole america plan then tell em why should you pay more when you signed up to them for local service and phone number, since you (cingular) cannot provide that then you are in breach of contract.

This post has been edited by GrYph0n: Feb 17 2005, 10:21 PM

+Quote Post
FrankieFiero
post Feb 21 2005, 04:45 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,631
Phone: SMT5600
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HP iPAQ

I'd pay the $10 and get the NA package... if you read the fine print, if over a 3 month period less than 50% of your calls are on the AT&Tingular network they reserve the right to terminate your service.
I'm sure if you put it to them in terms they understand (ie, it'll cost them a lot more to keep you locked in, as I'm sure Robbers doesn't let them off cheap) they'll let you out. Just make a lot of calls within Canada during your unlimited minutes time wink.gif

--------------------
SMT5600 on AT&Tingular Blue
HP iPaq rz3715
RoyalTek Bluetooth GPS
OnCourse Navigator 4 (PPC)

+Quote Post
TaylorTAP
post Feb 22 2005, 09:27 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 313

Or just leave the country. They aren't going to follow you to Canada there are bears up there.

+Quote Post
Canuck
post Mar 8 2005, 04:17 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,078

Thanks for suggestions guys...I finally got it settled with them. I had talked to about four different Cingular customer service reps and finally lucked out and talked to one who seemed to know what she was doing. AT&T use to have a deal with Rogers up in Canada and they wouldve been able to transfer it then, but with the new Cingular deal that contract ended. Since I had already completed a year of my contract she said she'd just waive the early termination fee and at the end of my current billing cycle my Cingular contract would be finished.

Just goes to show that these termination fees aren't written in stone. The cust. service people do have the power to cancel them...guess you just need to talk to the right one.

So I've already unlocked my phone with Florin's site (place in the mall wanted $100CDN to do it!) and joined up with one of the local carriers. Data plans out here suck but I never really used that capability anyway.

This post has been edited by Canuck: Mar 8 2005, 04:20 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:14 AM