post Jun 12 2007, 12:31 AM
Post #1

Gadget Junkie

Group: Members
Member No.: 64
Phone: SMT5600
Carrier: T-Mobile
PocketPC: HP iPAQ

I just got a new T-Mobile Wing and I'm having a problem. This is the first WM6 device I've played with and I really hadn't spent any time looking at articles on the new OS. One thing I've noticed is that every hour my phone will launch activesync and turn on the EDGE/GPRS connection. This is draining the battery something fierce. I am a heavy phone, PDA, and WMP user so having my EDGE connection come on and stay on until I notice is killing my battery. I'm at 41% after 12 hours or so of use. My MDA lasted much longer.

Other then the T-Mobile software I've only installed the apps that I have to have on a device which are eReader and Codewallet. Neither of those strike me as something that will hit the web on an hourly basis.

I'm guessing this is an activesync issue but I don't know where to look to turn off Activesync constantly hitting the hi-speed connection. What is it syncing anyways?

I've checked the two e-mail accounts I have set up on it and they're both set up to only sync manually. I don't use the messenger application so what does this and how do I stop it?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jun 12 2007, 01:05 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

I've read of a similar problem on WM5 devices. The problem lies somewhere with the Exchange server in Activesync. If you don't sync with Exchange, it somehow still opens a data connection. I don't think it actually sends/receives any data in this case, but will have the phone dial. You could go into Activesync and create a phony Exchange server, just putting whatever into the settings box, and choose to have it sync manually. See if that helps at all.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
Luzerman
post Jun 12 2007, 03:38 PM
Post #3

Gadget Junkie

Group: Members
Member No.: 64
Phone: SMT5600
Carrier: T-Mobile
PocketPC: HP iPAQ

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Jun 11 2007, 07:05 PM) *
I've read of a similar problem on WM5 devices. The problem lies somewhere with the Exchange server in Activesync. If you don't sync with Exchange, it somehow still opens a data connection. I don't think it actually sends/receives any data in this case, but will have the phone dial. You could go into Activesync and create a phony Exchange server, just putting whatever into the settings box, and choose to have it sync manually. See if that helps at all.

Sadly enough this didn't work. I still can't find an application on this thing that isn't set to manual when it comes to internet access.

I looked in the Remove Programs list and I find:

Peanut Press eReader
Developer One CodeWallet Pro 6
Microsoft Live Search
T-Mobile Email Wizard 1.0
OZ Communications OZ IM
T-Mobile HotSpot Login Utility
Winwap Technologies Oy t-zones

I'm not sure which of these I can uninstall except for the two I installed. Is this something T-Mobile has done to this phone? Can I uninstall the T-Mobile apps? or will that lock the phone up?

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jun 12 2007, 06:06 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

I'm not sure about EDGE data, but I know with my EVDO it doesn't actually use more battery to have it connected. It's disconnecting, then redialing that will use battery life. I can see a few of those programs being the culprit. Live Search, T-Mobile Email Wizard, or Winwap Technologies Oy t-zones all look like they could be using an internet connection. I'd try removing any of the programs you didn't install, and don't use. They're probably from an extended ROM, and got automatically installed when the phone was first turned on. It shouldn't hurt anything to uninstall them.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:33 PM