Pigpaw3
post Dec 4 2006, 07:31 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,481
Phone: Cingular Blackjack
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: None

Why does WM5 keep every program running after I close it and it seems to open active sync
whenever it wants to, and it wants to all the time. Got tired of going to settings>system>memory>
running programs> stop all. What were they thinking. I am using Pocket nav task manager and it
works well but I would like to find some way to just have a program stop running when I close it. And
to stop active sync from starting all by its self. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jadams951
post Dec 4 2006, 01:14 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,067
Carrier: Alltel
PocketPC: Dell
PMC: Other

QUOTE (Pigpaw3 @ Dec 4 2006, 01:31 AM) *
Why does WM5 keep every program running after I close it and it seems to open active sync
whenever it wants to, and it wants to all the time. Got tired of going to settings>system>memory>
running programs> stop all. What were they thinking. I am using Pocket nav task manager and it
works well but I would like to find some way to just have a program stop running when I close it. And
to stop active sync from starting all by its self. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Get a 3rd party program like magic button , sbp pocket plus, or handy switcher. I prefer the last one myself.

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Dec 4 2006, 03:12 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

Since Windows Mobile was created programs have run in the background when you minimize them (it's not really closing them). It's nothing new to WM5. It is meant to enhance the multi-tasking ability of Windows Mobile, one of the main features it has over Palm OS. I also use Handy Switcher, and really like it. Activesync running in the background really doesn't harm anything, but if you really want to stop it from doing so you can create a bogus exchange server to sync with (just put in anything you want in the setup boxes), then set it to sync manually. It should now open only when you tell it to.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
Pigpaw3
post Dec 5 2006, 06:31 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 9,481
PocketPC: None

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Dec 4 2006, 11:12 AM) *
Since Windows Mobile was created programs have run in the background when you minimize them (it's not really closing them). It's nothing new to WM5. It is meant to enhance the multi-tasking ability of Windows Mobile, one of the main features it has over Palm OS. I also use Handy Switcher, and really like it. Activesync running in the background really doesn't harm anything, but if you really want to stop it from doing so you can create a bogus exchange server to sync with (just put in anything you want in the setup boxes), then set it to sync manually. It should now open only when you tell it to.

Thanks guys, I will try handy switcher. Also I do have sync set to manual but every time I go th close ALL the running programs, there it is open and looking right at me. Thanks again

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Dec 5 2006, 09:34 PM
Post #5

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard

I haven't had a PPC so I don't know if this applies, but there is a reg edit that changes the SmartPhone OS that closes programs too quickly. My MPx220 was very aggressive about closing programs. 10 seconds after the program wasn't in focus it was closed. This meant I could NOT multi-task and so I wanted the opposite of what you want. I wanted the programs to stay open until I closed them. Anyway, if you're comfortable trying this, check and see if it's available and if it works...of course, you'd go in the opposite direction. Instead of raising the number, you'd lower it. Notice how low the number was set on my 220 when it closed apps quickly.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shell\LowMem\ProgramMem

Change the value to 64 (didn't solve my problem) or 96 (worked for ME) whichever give you the best performance. This will increase the effectiveness of how Windows uses and manages memory of open programs.
My 220's ROM was set at 18 which was not OK for me 'cuz it kept shutting down programs very quickly (my MPx200 was set at 80 which worked good). So, my MPx220 when set to 96 behaved like my MPx200 did set to 80. Meaning they leave the programs running until I close them.

My i-mate came pre-set at 96 so it behaves the way I want...presumably the opposite of what you want.

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Jan 20 2007, 09:35 AM
Post #6

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Magic Button is good...if you prefer using the stylus or your finger (nail?) to close programs. I'd also recommend Smartskey. I use both actually since they differ enough (and, both are free - so, why not). Smartskey allows you to close programs by giving the left and right soft keys dual purposes. Their original, of course, plus it adds a long press of the left key to bring up the start menu while a long press of the right will close (not minimize) a program. You can set up exclusions if you have programs you want to minimize all the time rather than close. Plus, while in the dialer, it allows you to open your speed dials, recent calls, contacts, and messaging all with a single press of the D-pad.

Having started on a Smartphone and being used to one handed operation for most things...Smartskey (and Scott Seligman's "Launcher") is the ONLY reason I'm still contemplating a PPC. I'd have given up along time ago (OK, let's call it a week wink.gif ) had it not been for these two apps. The third on that list would be Magic Button.

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Jan 20 2007, 09:45 AM
Post #7

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

also...I checked my registry to see how the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shell\LowMem\ProgramMem" was setup on my T-Mo MDA and it's set at 96 just like my i-mate SP5m is. Which means it leaves programs open until you close them.

If you're looking for a way to have the operating system close the programs after you "exit" (and not use a third party app) it seems like it'd work to make that number lower like I talk about in post #5 above. I haven't tried it myself (since I like the programs to stay open until I close them) so I can't say for certain though. The usual disclaimer about being careful in the registry or else you might end up bricking your phone apply here. As always, proceed with caution.

--------------------

+Quote Post
omega2008
post Jan 22 2007, 04:47 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 7,026
Phone: Cingular 8525

There is also an app called HTC X button, that is what I use and works great. Google it.

--------------------
Support the Windows Mobile Community! Become a Subscriber

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Jan 22 2007, 09:18 PM
Post #9

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Here's my .02 on these three particular programs used for actually closing running programs instead of just minimizing them.

HTC X button works great if you prefer using a stylus or can hit (and hold) the little X in the upper right hand corner. What it offers the others do not is on-the-fly ability to decide if you want to close the app or minimize it. You don't need to create "exception" lists ahead of time which is nice.

Magic Button is also stylus based (or, again, you can use your finger if it's small enough to hit the X). What it offers the others don't is a visual "task bar" that shows you what programs you've got running so you can easily go back and forth between running apps with a single stylus tap (or, a well placed finger tip). It can also add a very simple battery meter to the top of every window so you can always see how much battery you have left. You can set up exceptions with it by using it's "keep alive" feature and you can also decide which apps you want to show up next to the start button. It also gives you easy access to "running programs" that you'd normally have to go start>settings>system>memory>running programs to get to. Honestly though, with Magic Button running (or, any of these three for that matter), the need to get to "running programs" is all but eliminated. It does a few other things too, like turn off your phone or reset it etc.

Smartskey is the only one of the bunch that is not stylus based. What it offers the others don't is no need to use your stylus or pinpoint the little X with your finger tip to close a program. With a long press of the right soft key your app is closed. You can set up an exceptions list of programs that you want to minimize and not close (like messaging since it takes so long to open each time). It also gives you one button access (long press of the left soft key) to the start menu and some extra features in the phone application (as mentioned in my earlier post).

They all tackle the same problem a little differently and I have likes and dislikes with each of them. That said, they all make the phone easier to use than without them. Pick and choose, or combine...whatever meets your needs.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:26 PM