Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> MPX200 to HTC Star Trek, Reasons to Upgrade
LittleScooby
post Aug 1 2006, 11:48 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 352

Well, my amazing MPX200 is almost 3 years old.

Now, I have put up with all the quirks that it contains for quite a long time (never bothered to upgrade the OS as it seems that doing so just causes more quirks from what I've read in all the forums).

But anyway, I skipped the MPX220 upgrade mainly because of the cheaper build quality of the MPX220 and the initial issues with the volume problems, etc, besides the 220 was more of an almost-upgrade but not really a true upgrade because it was bigger, cheaper feel, etc.

Now, the Star Trek seems very similar to the 220 in terms of what I will be getting, so I'm kinda wondering if it is worth it or not to go from an MPX200 to the Star Trek?

I'm up for a Cingular renewal contract which means I should be able to get the Star Trek for $199 after the $100 rebate.

To me, it looks like the Star Trek will get me:

1. An official (supported) Windows Mobile 5.0 flipfone (the clamshell form factor is of course one of the main reasons I currently own the MPX200 and have put up with all of it's shortcomings over the past 3 years).

2. Slightly slimmer, but seemingly slightly bigger footprint (can anyone confirm or deny this - anyone have a picture of the MPX200 right next to the Star Trek for size \ dimensions comparison)?

3. Built in Camera (is this camara any better than the one built into the MPX220)? But hey, I love my MPX200 so much that I almost at one desperate point purchased that lame add on camera because everyone knows the biggest shortcoming of the 200 was the missing camera.

4. Faster processor (anyone know about how much faster? 10, 20 30%?

5. More memory?

6. Fixed ringtone issue that I never had resolved on my MPX200? (i.e callerID wav files don't seem to always work properly - known issue that was never resolved with an MPX200 Smartphone 2002 at least).

7. How about VajaCases, will the Star Trek have one? When I e-mailed Vaja they didn't seem very sure they would release a Star Trek case.

8. Better antenna? ANYTHING, has to be better than the MPX200 antenna. I've put up with it's crummy antenna for 3 years now. I hope the Star Trek antenna is better.

9. The MPX200 was dual band, isn't the Star Trek tri or quad at least?

10. Screen size. Aren't they about the same exact size? Or is the Star Trek screen smaller?

11. BlueTooth. Finally!!

12. Anything I missed?

It's been a while since I looked at the specs for the new Star Trek so I have a bit of research ahead of me, but basically, I want the real good reasons for upgrading to the Star Trek from the MPX200.

And do most of you think it is really worth the upgrade, or is it skip-over-able, like the 220 was?

Anyone?

Anyone who has went directly from the MPX200 to the Star Trek have anything to say about the experience?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Aug 2 2006, 04:42 AM
Post #2

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: Alltel

[left]my responses in RED

QUOTE (LittleScooby @ Aug 1 2006, 04:48 PM) *
Well, my amazing MPX200 is almost 3 years old.

Awesome phone! I still have my 200 also. Though, it's being used by a family member who isn't a gadget-geek like me! wink.gif They don't know what they're missing in the 220! laugh.gif Actually, that's not true. BlueTooth is an obvious difference but, they have that great screen that I miss so!

Now, I have put up with all the quirks that it contains for quite a long time (never bothered to upgrade the OS as it seems that doing so just causes more quirks from what I've read in all the forums).

hmmm, Define "quirk"? My 200 came with wm2003 installed and works fine - no quirkiness (IMHO).

But anyway, I skipped the MPX220 upgrade mainly because of the cheaper build quality of the MPX220 and the initial issues with the volume problems, etc, besides the 220 was more of an almost-upgrade but not really a true upgrade because it was bigger, cheaper feel, etc.

hmmm, I'd say the 220 is noticably smaller. It's certainly not as thick or wide as the 200! Yes, it's a tad taller, but overall it "looks" smaller than the 200. I guess the cheaper "feel" is a "to each their own" thang. I don't think the 220 feels cheaper. It has that same great hinge click, the keypad is waaaaaaaaay easier to use than the 200, and forget about those finger prints all over the 200 always making it look like a "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" in progress! Again, "to each their own". In the beginning I wasn't sure either (why did the screen get smaller? that's what bugged me the most! big time made it seem like I had not stepped up!!) until I fully took advantage of BT and some Java programs and used the camera. Now, you couldn't pay me to go back.

Now, the Star Trek seems very similar to the 220 in terms of what I will be getting, so I'm kinda wondering if it is worth it or not to go from an MPX200 to the Star Trek?

That depends on how strongly you feel about getting wm5, a camera, BT, and Java? Oh, and twice as much storage space (ROM & RAM). Speaking of storage, you'll also have to buy a new SD card if you use one, since Star Trek uses micro instead of regular ol' SD.

I'm up for a Cingular renewal contract which means I should be able to get the Star Trek for $199 after the $100 rebate.

Excellent!

To me, it looks like the Star Trek will get me:

1. An official (supported) Windows Mobile 5.0 flipfone (the clamshell form factor is of course one of the main reasons I currently own the MPX200 and have put up with all of it's shortcomings over the past 3 years).

Me too! (Only with the 220 - am glad I moved on from the 200.) Like you, a flipper is my preferred form factor.

2. Slightly slimmer, but seemingly slightly bigger footprint (can anyone confirm or deny this - anyone have a picture of the MPX200 right next to the Star Trek for size \ dimensions comparison)?

If you think the 220 is too big, you probably won't be happy with the Star Trek. It looks as tall as the 220 but wider. Of course, it is not as thick as either the 200 or 220. For a photo of the three side by side by side go here:
http://www.theunwired.net/media/column/qte...0_220_front.jpg

According to smartphonehistory.com the sizes are as follows:
MPx200 89 x 48 x 27 mm
MPx220 100 x 48 x 24.3 mm
Star Trek 98.5 x 51.4 x 15.8 mm

3. Built in Camera (is this camara any better than the one built into the MPX220)? But hey, I love my MPX200 so much that I almost at one desperate point purchased that lame add on camera because everyone knows the biggest shortcoming of the 200 was the missing camera.

I LOVE having a camera in my phone (220). From the photos I've seen Star Trek has a better quality camera than the 220 even though they're both listed as 1.3mp. They've obviously improved it in other ways, 'cuz the photos look better to me. Some say the 220s camera is terrible. My first 220 had a really bad camera, but the second one takes quite useable images IMHO (better than RAZR - again, IMHO). Star Trek looks even better. But, hey, if you considered that add-on camera, then you will LOVE it built in.

4. Faster processor (anyone know about how much faster? 10, 20 30%?

+51-52ish%
132mhz on the 200 compared to 200mhz on both the 220 and Star Trek. That sounds like a lot. That said, I did NOT notice my 220 running circles around my 200. <shrug>

5. More memory?

Twice as much! Again, according to smartphonehistory.com as follows:
MPx200 32MB Flash ROM 32MB SDRAM
MPx220 64MB Flash ROM 32MB SDRAM
Star Trek 64MB Flash ROM 64MB SDRAM

6. Fixed ringtone issue that I never had resolved on my MPX200? (i.e callerID wav files don't seem to always work properly - known issue that was never resolved with an MPX200 Smartphone 2002 at least).

I can't speak to this issue. My ringtones are .wma formatted and work perfectly on both my MPx phones.

7. How about VajaCases, will the Star Trek have one? When I e-mailed Vaja they didn't seem very sure they would release a Star Trek case.

Don't know. Stay tuned I suppose.

8. Better antenna? ANYTHING, has to be better than the MPX200 antenna. I've put up with it's crummy antenna for 3 years now. I hope the Star Trek antenna is better.

By antenna do you mean RF capability? I've read positive comments regarding this on the new Star Trek.

9. The MPX200 was dual band, isn't the Star Trek tri or quad at least?

Quad

10. Screen size. Aren't they about the same exact size? Or is the Star Trek screen smaller?

2.2 same on MPx200 and Star Trek. Both of which are .2 bigger than MPx220.

11. BlueTooth. Finally!!

Amen!!

12. Anything I missed?

JAVA...might matter depending on what programs you might want to run. EDGE data capable - about 3x as fast as GPRS. But, I'm fuzzy on if this automatically available to you or if you have to be a T-Mo customer to have that speed. I hope someone else will clear this up!

It's been a while since I looked at the specs for the new Star Trek so I have a bit of research ahead of me, but basically, I want the real good reasons for upgrading to the Star Trek from the MPX200.

Besides size, speed, double the storage, built-in camera, BlueTooth, (and, dare I say it, sex-appeal) - can't think of anything. cool.gif

And do most of you think it is really worth the upgrade, or is it skip-over-able, like the 220 was?

Wellllll, since I already have the 220 which gives me the size, speed, more storage, built-in camera, BT, and Java advantages (all things you felt weren't worth it) - I go back and forth on this question (to get the Star Trek, or not). I'm bummed about the headset thing. I have VERY good headphones that I'd like to use and I loathe adapters. <sigh> I'm still investigating how important wifi is. I've got an i-mate SP5m arriving this Thursday. So, I'll know more about this next week (I'm RRRREEEAAALLLYYY not thrilled that it isn't a flipper). Star Trek doesn't have wifi (neither does the MPx200 or 220) and that might be a deal breaker for ME. It seems to me the Star Trek isn't a huge step up from the 220 (except for the OS and RAZR-like profile) - but, from the 200 I'd go for it.

Anyone?

Anyone who has went directly from the MPX200 to the Star Trek have anything to say about the experience?

I hope you get responses from people who have done just that!

Good luck!

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Aug 2 2006, 05:38 AM
Post #3

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Since I posted above I went looking for comparison photos (photos taken with the built-in cameras of the MPx220 and the Star Trek). I found some that confirmed what I said above, the Star Trek camera takes better photos than the MPx220.

But, what I really wanted to ad here is the following from a review I read:
A2DP implementation is very difficult to manage
Possible reception issues on the 1900Mhz GSM band
Bluetooth radio not as good as the HTC Prophet

The guy who wrote it is a PocketPC user (and apparently a Star Trek (as in Spock and the gang) fan). The entire review can be read here: http://pocketnow.com/index.php?a=portal_pr...iews&id=834

But, I found most interesting is the downside of Star Trek for music listening - since I use my 220 to listen to music a lot! The i-mate SP5m I'm waiting for leans towards music use...as well as having wifi.

For you LittleScooby, I took note of the 1900mhz issue since you're concerned about the antenna.

The BT comparison to the PPC HTC Prophet...I don't know how to compare that to the phones we know (MPx200 & 220). But, thought it was important to note. Whatever it means?

Another VERY interesting thing is to just scroll to the bottom of the review and read his "OVERALL IMPRESSION". I've noticed something here similar to other reviews. Users pick apart Star Trek's shortcomings BUT seem very willing to forgive them. Like he says it has "great eye-catching design, sleek keypad, useful external screen, and a very thin lightweight form factor". It's love at first sight, apparently.

The music issues are big to me. So, I'm still not won over.

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
LittleScooby
post Aug 5 2006, 02:53 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (runningtiger @ Aug 1 2006, 08:38 PM) *
Since I posted above I went looking for comparison photos (photos taken with the built-in cameras of the MPx220 and the Star Trek). I found some that confirmed what I said above, the Star Trek camera takes better photos than the MPx220.

But, what I really wanted to ad here is the following from a review I read:
A2DP implementation is very difficult to manage
Possible reception issues on the 1900Mhz GSM band
Bluetooth radio not as good as the HTC Prophet

The guy who wrote it is a PocketPC user (and apparently a Star Trek (as in Spock and the gang) fan). The entire review can be read here: http://pocketnow.com/index.php?a=portal_pr...iews&id=834

But, I found most interesting is the downside of Star Trek for music listening - since I use my 220 to listen to music a lot! The i-mate SP5m I'm waiting for leans towards music use...as well as having wifi.

For you LittleScooby, I took note of the 1900mhz issue since you're concerned about the antenna.

The BT comparison to the PPC HTC Prophet...I don't know how to compare that to the phones we know (MPx200 & 220). But, thought it was important to note. Whatever it means?

Another VERY interesting thing is to just scroll to the bottom of the review and read his "OVERALL IMPRESSION". I've noticed something here similar to other reviews. Users pick apart Star Trek's shortcomings BUT seem very willing to forgive them. Like he says it has "great eye-catching design, sleek keypad, useful external screen, and a very thin lightweight form factor". It's love at first sight, apparently.

The music issues are big to me. So, I'm still not won over.

Wow, thanks for the response runningtiger, that answers alot!

I'm starting to really like the thought of the Star Trek. How about the speakerphone? Is it as loud or as good as the one on the MPX200?

Also, how about the ringtone volume? Do you know if it is as loud as the MPX200?

I'm kinda getting psyched up about the release of the Star Trek on Cingular next week but I'm not seeing that many people anxiously awaiting the Cingular release as I seem to remember there was for the MPX200 release on AT&T 3 years back.

It could just be this forum doesn't have that many Star Trek users \ future users? I noticed HowardForum.com seems to have more Star Trek posts than this forum. Is it the biggest Star Trek forum around?

Also, does anyone know if the Star Trek missed called issue will be addressed before it is released by Cingular as the Cingular 3125?

The missed called issue seems to be the only thing holding me back at the moment (and the build quality issue), but for the price being offered on the Cingular 3125 deal, I could overlook the build quality, but not the missed call problem. I read about the $9.00 patch that a company already released, but it seems weird to me that the problem would go that far as to require the patch. They should just release a firmware update to address it but I understand that will take time. I was hoping they would address that issue before the 3125 release, otherwise I would think they will get thousands of calls about the issue.

Just have to wait and see I guess.

+Quote Post
hylton
post Aug 8 2006, 01:45 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 9,445
Phone: MPx220
PocketPC: Other

One other thing to keep in mind, which has only come to my attention in the last couple of days in a thread over at HOFO, is that the Qtek 8500 and Dopod S300 w/ their existing ROM versions, have virtually NO memory left for applications, at most 5mb after a hard-reset. So you are left w/ installing on an SD card, which doesn't always work.

If you want the ability to have everything but media on your phone, like w/ the MPx200 and MPx220, it's not gonna work w/ the Cingular 3125 if nothing is done about it in the ROM to cut down on some of the space that's eaten up w/ onboard applications.

Just something to keep in mind...

I really wanted the Qtek, but I'm really glad I waited for the early-adopters to find some of the issues w/ it first.

Chris

+Quote Post
LittleScooby
post Aug 9 2006, 12:55 AM
Post #6

That sounds like a bummer about the 5MB of memory.

I've run into a limitation like that on my MPX200 as well. It's so easy to fill up the onboard memory on phones. You'd think they would have learned by now.

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Aug 16 2006, 07:56 AM
Post #7

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

regarding...

2.2 same on MPx200 and Star Trek. Both of which are .2 bigger than MPx220.

I've got something to add to this now that I've got a brand new shiny wm5 2.2 screen device in my hands. It's good news/bad news.

The good news is the screen IS the same size as the good ol' MPx200 (meaning larger than the screen on the MPx220). The bad news (not terrible...but, here we go again with you gain some...you lose some) is because the screen on wm5 is QVGA (higher resolution) things look smaller on it. This caught me by surprise for some reason. I'd read the new screens were QVGA and it never clicked what that meant exactly.

So, bottom line...the same web page displayed on the 2.2 screen on the MPx200 looks much bigger (though you're seeing less of it) than it does on the 2.2 screen on a wm5 QVGA device (ike my new i-mate SP5m). I was so anxious to see things big once again since I missed that on my MPx220. Things look the same size on my wm2003 MPx220 as they do on my wm5 SP5m (meaning they feel 'small' when compared to the MPx200) - but I see more on the wm5 screen since it's QVGA.

It's just like on a regular computer screen. When the desktop is set for 640x480 resolution things are HUGE...but you don't see very much at any one time. When you move the resolution up to 1280x800 you see far more - but things are smaller.

I hope that makes sense.

Having said all that...the wm5 QVGA 2.2 screen looks AMAZING! It's very sharp and vivid, and there is a lot displayed on the screen at once...though I need my glasses most the time to read it! laugh.gif I had to finally break down and get sunglasses with bi-focals so I could read the maps while I was driving. Gawd, that made me feel a million years old! <sigh> But, the phone screen is very nice to look at...now that I can see it! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
LittleScooby
post Oct 6 2006, 09:45 AM
Post #8

Finally decided to upgrade from the MPX200 to the Cingular 3125.

So far I really like the Cingular 3125. Pretty amazing phone.

One of the things I miss the most about my MPX200 is the dock. I sure wish the Cingular 3125 had a decent dock but I have yet to find one. Otherwise, I like the Cingular 3125 alot more than the MPX200.

I also hope Vaja makes a case for the 3125 but I don't know if they will. And if they do make one, they would have to make two (one for the 3125 with the larger battery, and one for the regular HTC Star Trek.) Have to wait and see I guess.

+Quote Post
Xeno
post Oct 6 2006, 12:10 PM
Post #9

Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 7,190
Phone: Cingular 8525

QUOTE (LittleScooby @ Oct 6 2006, 04:45 AM) *
Finally decided to upgrade from the MPX200 to the Cingular 3125.

So far I really like the Cingular 3125. Pretty amazing phone.

One of the things I miss the most about my MPX200 is the dock. I sure wish the Cingular 3125 had a decent dock but I have yet to find one. Otherwise, I like the Cingular 3125 alot more than the MPX200.

I also hope Vaja makes a case for the 3125 but I don't know if they will. And if they do make one, they would have to make two (one for the 3125 with the larger battery, and one for the regular HTC Star Trek.) Have to wait and see I guess.

I ran a thread here (7 threads down from this one at the moment) about a Vaja case and sent email to Vaja. But one post responded by saying Vaja wrote him to say no case coming. So send email and if they get more email maybe they will reconsider.

This post has been edited by Xeno: Oct 6 2006, 04:10 PM

--------------------
Cingular 3125, MPX 220 1.43

+Quote Post
omega2008
post Oct 6 2006, 05:58 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 7,026
Phone: Cingular 8525
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular

QUOTE (hylton @ Aug 7 2006, 09:45 PM) *
One other thing to keep in mind, which has only come to my attention in the last couple of days in a thread over at HOFO, is that the Qtek 8500 and Dopod S300 w/ their existing ROM versions, have virtually NO memory left for applications, at most 5mb after a hard-reset. So you are left w/ installing on an SD card, which doesn't always work.

If you want the ability to have everything but media on your phone, like w/ the MPx200 and MPx220, it's not gonna work w/ the Cingular 3125 if nothing is done about it in the ROM to cut down on some of the space that's eaten up w/ onboard applications.

Just something to keep in mind...

I really wanted the Qtek, but I'm really glad I waited for the early-adopters to find some of the issues w/ it first.

Chris

The 3125 has a 128mb ROM chip. Usually I have at least 19mb of free program space and right now about 44mb of storage space. I haven't had any memory problems, which I did have with the MPx 220 because it didn't have as much.

--------------------
Support the Windows Mobile Community! Become a Subscriber

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Oct 6 2006, 08:38 PM
Post #11

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Right. The ROM limitations mentioned above were for the Star Treks that were released first...meaning Dopod, SmartFlip, etc.

The more recent Cingular version is beefed up a bit with more ROM and a bigger battery.

Here's the updated ROM specs comparison...

MPx200 32MB Flash ROM 32MB SDRAM
MPx220 64MB Flash ROM 32MB SDRAM
Star Trek 64MB Flash ROM 64MB SDRAM
Cingular 3125 128MB ROM and 64 MB RAM

and here's the battery info while were at it...
Cingular 3125 1100 mAh Li-ion Battery...others Li-ion 750 mAh
(Not only bigger meaning more power, but as should be expected, it's physically bigger so the fitted cases for the first Star Treks do NOT fit Cingular's version.)

Personally, my i-mate SP5m has the 64/64 config and I haven't had any problems w/running out of memory.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:14 AM