Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 626
Phone: Samsung i760
Carrier: Verizon
Secondary Carrier: Sprint
PocketPC: Other

I like the Verizon Moto Q Full Screen Homescreen but wanted to change the two internet links at the bottom of the screen. I changed it to link to MGN and Accuweather. You can change them to whatever you want. I have included a XML file to use as a base for your own modifications.
Attached Image

Attached File  mgn.full.home.zip ( 3.05K ) Number of downloads: 5544

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN
MGN Making Your Windows Mobile Life Simpler

Main : Samsung i760 - Verizon
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
cortez
post Jun 6 2006, 07:03 PM
Post #2

Mobile Gadget Idol

Group: Members
Member No.: 11
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC
PMC: Other

good one... dowloaded it added it to my device...

--------------------
cortez

"...yes, i am a gadget freak!.."
HTC Trinity & Kaiser / AT&T
Black Q / Verizon

+Quote Post
engarde
post Jun 27 2006, 07:14 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 12,695
Phone: Motorola Q
MP3 Player: iPod Nano

I also tweaked the shortcut links. What I would like to do is add a google search box to my home screen. Any idea on how to do this?

This post has been edited by engarde: Jun 27 2006, 07:15 PM

+Quote Post
CamperRex
post Jul 4 2006, 08:16 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 12,766

QUOTE (abatis @ Jun 6 2006, 06:07 PM) *
I like the Verizon Moto Q Full Screen Homescreen but wanted to change the two internet links at the bottom of the screen. I changed it to link to MGN and Accuweather. You can change them to whatever you want. I have included a XML file to use as a base for your own modifications.
Attached Image

Attached File  mgn.full.home.zip ( 3.05K ) Number of downloads: 5544

It I couldn't get my url mods to work, at first. It seems the Home Screen is picky as to what links it likes.

For instance,
http://www.google.com/pda is good to go.
but Goo News Portable,
http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&output=xhtml
is not. No xhtml i guess.

FYI, I could get anything to work with WM5 except Resco.

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jul 23 2006, 12:22 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

Abatis, I was reviewing this thread because I want to add MGN and Google links to my home page, and I noticed you have the carrier, date, and time all on one line. My homescreen that I currently use has the Carrier on one line, and the date and time on another. If I was to combine them like you have in your home screen, that would open up another line to add the MGN and Google links.

I downloaded your homescreen and copied the network service provider and time plugin directly from it and pasted it over my current network provider plugin. However when I try to load the homescreen I get the same error screen I was getting before when trying to change the boldness of the Fizz Weather plugin here. Any ideas? That seems very strange that it would do that. I suppose it may be easier to just take your homescreen and alter it to add the plugins I use than figure out why that one plugin doesn't work on mine.

Edit-Now I'm really confused. I just put the unaltered MGN homescreen on my device and am still getting the Data Call error. I have no idea why it would be doing that, I didn't change a thing from what you have working.

Edit2-Sort of figured out my problem. For some odd reason when they are in the My Documents folder (I'm using BT File Transfer to put them on my Q), they will show up as a home screen option, but when I select it I get the Data Call error. I'm still working on perfecting it, but think I'm on the track.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jul 23 2006, 01:18 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

Wow, I somehow managed to completely lock up the Settings menu. When I tried to go to change the Home Screen is would tell me the setting couldn't be accessed. It was displaying some weird homescreen that I didn't put on there. It was like it was possessed or something. Right now I really wish Sprite had a Q compatable version. I had to hard reset and am starting from scratch, fiddling with the homescreen first this time.

Edit-OK, it looks like it mostly got it working. For some reason I can't get the Internet Explorer icon to show up next to my MGN and Google links though. I got them to show up the first time the homescreen loaded, but after a power cycle I get what you see in the screenshot. Here's the code I used to get the Internet Explorer icons for both links the first time it loaded:

CODE
<!--2 shortcuts: to VZW MSN News and File Explorer pointing to the Data Card-->

<plugin clsid="{79C2BAE5-81F2-40ab-88B1-2458EE17DDF2}" name="VZW_SHORTCUT_PLUGIN_2003" height="22">
      <shortcut1 target="iexplore.exe" command-line="http://www.mobilegadgetnews.com" text="" usefileicon="\windows\\Start Menu\Internet Explorer.lnk">
          <label>
              <text lang="0x0409">MGN</text>
              <text lang="0x0809">MGN</text>
              <text lang="0x040c">MGN</text>
              <text lang="0x0407">MGN</text>
              <text lang="0x0410">MGN</text>
              <text lang="0x0816">MGN</text>
              <text lang="0x0C0A">MGN</text>
          </label>
      </shortcut1>
    <shortcut2 target="iexplore.exe" command-line="http://www.google.com/pda" text="" usefileicon="\windows\\Start Menu\Internet Explorer.lnk">
          <label>
            <text lang="0x0409">Google</text>
            <text lang="0x0809">Google</text>
            <text lang="0x040c">Google</text>
            <text lang="0x0407">Google</text>
            <text lang="0x0410">Google</text>
            <text lang="0x0816">Google</text>
            <text lang="0x0C0A">Google</text>
          </label>
      </shortcut2>
   </plugin>

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jul 25 2006, 04:45 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

See, this screen shot is what I want it to look like. When I alter the usefileicon to a different icon, it will work until I power cycle the phone. Then it was revert to the default folder in the above screen shot. Very strange. It's like something in the home screen is breaking the icon. I'm out of ideas and about ready to just live with the folder icon, but getting the IE icon would be nice.

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jan 17 2007, 03:42 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

Now that I have my Sprint Q, I'm customizing the homescreen once again (don't ya just love XML coding?). Obviously, the VZW_SHORTCUT_PLUGIN_2003 doesn't work on the Sprint phone. I did try anyways though, and it definitely doesn't work without some of the customization VZW put into it. Sprint doesn't have any homescreens with PIE links in them, so I couldn't get the appropriate code from them. Is there any generic Smartphone XML coding that will allow me to place MGN and Google on my homescreen again?

--------------------

+Quote Post
GHG
post Feb 13 2007, 04:20 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 859

Greetings All,

Anyone used Ruttensoft Home screen developer?

GHG

+Quote Post
abatis
post Feb 14 2007, 02:42 AM
Post #10

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 626
Phone: Samsung i760
Secondary Carrier: Sprint
PocketPC: Other

I have played with it in the past. It is easy to use.

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN
MGN Making Your Windows Mobile Life Simpler

Main : Samsung i760 - Verizon

+Quote Post
msswitch
post Apr 18 2007, 06:22 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 15,315
MP3 Player: iPod Video
PMC: Other

QUOTE (GHG @ Feb 13 2007, 11:20 AM) *
Greetings All,

Anyone used Ruttensoft Home screen developer?

GHG

I just purchased it yesterday. Its pretty sweet. You can use any image, move the plugins pretty much anywhere on the screen, change the font colors/size/boldness. What I like best is that it gives you the option to automatically update your phone with the newly created homescreen so you don't have to install .xml files if you don't want to. Not bad for $15.

+Quote Post
:GS:Havok
post Apr 27 2007, 11:19 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 15,349
MP3 Player: iPod Video

Well,
This is a simple Homescreen of my favorite game Counter-Strike Source. I have used Ruttensoft's home screen developer but i quickly found out that editing XML files is quicker and easier task. Using my Gif animator (a Layer Picture editing Tool) i was able to create the background image, which is actually 3 images fused together with some transparency cropping. the Grenades, HE (red) and Smoke (Green) are actually tabs and can be selected. With the use of Facade plugin Here, I am able to select my current schedule, or my tasks. I dont know what kind i will create next...

+Quote Post
GHG
post Apr 30 2007, 09:20 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 859

That looks real good .... I will look into products you used and give it a try.
Thanks,
GHG cool.gif

+Quote Post
lovelyspanishwom...
post Jul 25 2007, 12:02 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 15,628

QUOTE (:GS:Havok @ Apr 27 2007, 06:19 PM) *
Well,
This is a simple Homescreen of my favorite game Counter-Strike Source. I have used Ruttensoft's home screen developer but i quickly found out that editing XML files is quicker and easier task. Using my Gif animator (a Layer Picture editing Tool) i was able to create the background image, which is actually 3 images fused together with some transparency cropping. the Grenades, HE (red) and Smoke (Green) are actually tabs and can be selected. With the use of Facade plugin Here, I am able to select my current schedule, or my tasks. I dont know what kind i will create next...

WOW, this is a great homescreen. Can you teach me how to do this! I downloaded the programs that you suggested, but I have no idea where to even start! I have no real experience doing graphics and I know when you start to talk about layers I can never figure it out. Can you help me learn or perhaps right a short note on how to actually do something from beginning to end. Of course I am looking to create something a bit more feminine, but I think your Counter-Strike homescreen is awesome. Let me know if you can help me.

Lovelyspanishwoman smile.gif

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Jul 25 2007, 09:32 AM
Post #15

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: Alltel

Welcome to MGN and congrats on your first post! We all learn from each other, so dig in!!!

Is your phone a Motorola Q? Or, is it just something particular about this home screen that attracts you? I have no experience with the Q's home screen, so can't offer any assistance there. If that is your device, hopefully Smeg will pop in here 'cuz he had that phone and has posted some of his home screens. Check the "Show us your Home Screen!" post to see his most recent efforts. If you just want some basics on home screen editing, then I can offer some help and hopefully others will chime in with their .02

Basically, if you have a Smartphone (not a PocketPC), then home screen .XML files are located in the \Application Data\Home folder. Use ActiveSync to COPY that file to your computer then open it with Notepad so you can see how it's been written. You should see things like "schemes" being defined, "plugins" being inserted in the desired order, labels in different languages defined perhaps, etc.

Practice by starting with one of the default home screens that comes closest to what you want and then work at changing it one thing at a time so you can see what changes when you edit something. It's very much about trial & error. At least it was for me. WARNING: Be prepared for things not to go right. The very first time I had to hard reset my device was 'cuz I downloaded someone else's home screen and tried it on my phone and my phone would no longer boot. I had to hard reset, which means I lost every bit of customizing I'd done and I had to start over. <drag> So, if going back to square one is too depressing at this point, make a backup of your device now using something like Sprite Backup software for instance. It costs about $30 but is well worth it if you're gonna start tinkering under the hood of your device. It'll save you a LOT of pain and heartache. That said, what happens more often then crashing your device (if the code isn't perfect) is it just won't load right. You'll get a funky b&w screen with the message to change you home screen to one that works and once you do that you're fine. Just be ready to have it not go perfect...then go for it!

So, once you have made some changes to the .XML file you copied to your PC, save it with a new name then copy it back to your device, load it by going to "settings\home screen\home screen layout" and choose the file you created and see what it looks like and go from there.

If you start researching home screen .XML you'll quickly notice that a lot of the developers use plugins that are not included with your device. Some of these, like Fizz Weather and Facade, are not free. If you try to use a home screen that has a plugin on it that you don't have on your phone - it won't work. Obviously, right?

Anyway, much can be done with the free plugins included on your device and free ones that can be downloaded elsewhere. I'll wait until I read what you like about the screen you commented on before going into any more detail.

So, what do you want your home screen to look like? To make it more feminine do you just want a different wallpaper (background image)? Do you like the row of icons to launch your favorite programs? If so, do you want to see the same icons there all the time, or are your most recently used (MRU) program icons the ones you want to see? Be as specific as you can so we can offer specific advice.

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
lovelyspanishwom...
post Jul 27 2007, 01:02 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 15,628

QUOTE (runningtiger @ Jul 25 2007, 05:32 AM) *
Welcome to MGN and congrats on your first post! We all learn from each other, so dig in!!!

Is your phone a Motorola Q? Or, is it just something particular about this home screen that attracts you? I have no experience with the Q's home screen, so can't offer any assistance there. If that is your device, hopefully Smeg will pop in here 'cuz he had that phone and has posted some of his home screens. Check the "Show us your Home Screen!" post to see his most recent efforts. If you just want some basics on home screen editing, then I can offer some help and hopefully others will chime in with their .02

Basically, if you have a Smartphone (not a PocketPC), then home screen .XML files are located in the \Application Data\Home folder. Use ActiveSync to COPY that file to your computer then open it with Notepad so you can see how it's been written. You should see things like "schemes" being defined, "plugins" being inserted in the desired order, labels in different languages defined perhaps, etc.

Practice by starting with one of the default home screens that comes closest to what you want and then work at changing it one thing at a time so you can see what changes when you edit something. It's very much about trial & error. At least it was for me. WARNING: Be prepared for things not to go right. The very first time I had to hard reset my device was 'cuz I downloaded someone else's home screen and tried it on my phone and my phone would no longer boot. I had to hard reset, which means I lost every bit of customizing I'd done and I had to start over. <drag> So, if going back to square one is too depressing at this point, make a backup of your device now using something like Sprite Backup software for instance. It costs about $30 but is well worth it if you're gonna start tinkering under the hood of your device. It'll save you a LOT of pain and heartache. That said, what happens more often then crashing your device (if the code isn't perfect) is it just won't load right. You'll get a funky b&w screen with the message to change you home screen to one that works and once you do that you're fine. Just be ready to have it not go perfect...then go for it!

So, once you have made some changes to the .XML file you copied to your PC, save it with a new name then copy it back to your device, load it by going to "settings\home screen\home screen layout" and choose the file you created and see what it looks like and go from there.

If you start researching home screen .XML you'll quickly notice that a lot of the developers use plugins that are not included with your device. Some of these, like Fizz Weather and Facade, are not free. If you try to use a home screen that has a plugin on it that you don't have on your phone - it won't work. Obviously, right?

Anyway, much can be done with the free plugins included on your device and free ones that can be downloaded elsewhere. I'll wait until I read what you like about the screen you commented on before going into any more detail.

So, what do you want your home screen to look like? To make it more feminine do you just want a different wallpaper (background image)? Do you like the row of icons to launch your favorite programs? If so, do you want to see the same icons there all the time, or are your most recently used (MRU) program icons the ones you want to see? Be as specific as you can so we can offer specific advice.

Thank you for the kind welcome. I have so much to learn and what a great place to meet people who know so much and are so willing to share. I only wish I had something to share. I have talked with the gentleman that mad the homescreen above and he has been more helpful than I could have hoped for. So I have some lots of reading to do. Also, is there much buzz about animated homescreens for the motorola q?

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jul 27 2007, 03:14 AM
Post #17

Group Icon

There is one animated homescreen program by Madbeetle. It worked on my Q once I fiddled with it a little.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:01 PM