Group Icon

Group: Senior Admin
Member No.: 39
Phone: Dopod s300
Carrier: T-Mobile
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: Other
PMC: Creative Zen

Well I did attend HP's Wireless & Mobility Roadshow kick-off event here in San Francisco (actually in Millbrae) and got my hands on the new iPAQs - especially the h6315 (special thanks to Michael Matz and Ron Barber for their patience!) and got to take some pics - unfortunately because of the poor lighting, only a handful of pics were somewhat decent.

Some points worth mentioning:

- The TI processor actually rated at 168Mhz was quite sufficient I must say as everything was quite responsive.
- If you are already familiar with HP's SD camera for the current iPAQ line, the feel of the camera controls are very similar.
- It will be shipped with the keyboard and the 1800mAh battery which you can expect to have 5 hours talk time/220 hours standby - there will be a 3600mAh battery available (which will add thickness and weight to the device) and you can expect close to double the 5/220 specs.
- T-Mobile's MyEmail will allow you to handle 10 POP/IMAP email accounts and can also be configured to interface Outlook Web Access.
- ClearVue's PDF and PPT Viewer will be included
- T-Mobile Wireless Village (Oz) incorporates AIM, ICQ, and Yahoo! Messenger in one client.

For a detailed review and better screenshots, I suggest you check out David Ciccione's article at Dave's iPAQ. In the meantime, here are the pics:

--------------------
Rey Flores
Microsoft MVP: Windows - Mobile Devices
Editor Emeritus - MGN
Blogs: Reydio Static / Smartphone & PPC Magazine Expert Blog
Chair: http://www.mobilecomputingsig.com
Board of Experts: http://www.PocketPCmag.com/awards
Mobile Community Series Co-Host: http://www.computeroutlook.com

Primary Devices: T-Mobile Dash
Alternate Devices: Sidekick 3/i-mate JASJAR
Mobile Accessories: Aliph Jawbone/Samsung WEP200/Scala 500, ALK Co-Pilot GPS receiver, Stowaway Bluetooth Keyboard, Microsoft Zune, Sony PSP
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
reydiodj
post Jul 30 2004, 02:50 AM
Post #2

MS-MVP / Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Senior Admin
Member No.: 39
Phone: Dopod s300
MP3 Player: Other

here's one more...

--------------------
Rey Flores
Microsoft MVP: Windows - Mobile Devices
Editor Emeritus - MGN
Blogs: Reydio Static / Smartphone & PPC Magazine Expert Blog
Chair: http://www.mobilecomputingsig.com
Board of Experts: http://www.PocketPCmag.com/awards
Mobile Community Series Co-Host: http://www.computeroutlook.com

Primary Devices: T-Mobile Dash
Alternate Devices: Sidekick 3/i-mate JASJAR
Mobile Accessories: Aliph Jawbone/Samsung WEP200/Scala 500, ALK Co-Pilot GPS receiver, Stowaway Bluetooth Keyboard, Microsoft Zune, Sony PSP

+Quote Post
Atlantis-Rising
post Jul 30 2004, 04:42 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,260

Does this mean no vanity mirror, then?

+Quote Post
Hulkster
post Aug 4 2004, 01:10 AM
Post #4

Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 4,004

This pda/phone will be the next big thing because of the wifi......

Hope the h6315 model will have the camera or whatever model they will offer.........

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
tobyp
post Aug 16 2004, 12:49 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 457
Phone: iPAQ 6300
PocketPC: HP iPAQ

The h6315 *does* have the camera on it. The resolution is OK, not great. I've been playing with a test version all weekend long. So far, I like the features of the phone. We're definitely going to need the extended-life battery though. Especially if you plan to leave GPRS on all the time. Haven't yet tried the GPRS to Wi-Fi hand-off at Starbucks, but plan to do that this week. The Wi-Fi did pick up my 802.11b signal in the house and worked flawlessly there. But since I have such bad GSM coverage at my house, I could not try out the switch. One other thing that we will ALL want to invest in........ a decent case. The one HP will likely ship is simply "OK", not great, but basic functionality.

After three days of playing with this phone, I *LOVE* it!

--------------------
Toby Pennycuff
Dallas, Texas

+Quote Post
Mo_Pho
post Aug 16 2004, 07:49 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 17

The h6315 *does* have the camera on it.  The resolution is OK, not great.  I've been playing with a test version all weekend long.  So far, I like the features of the phone.  We're definitely going to need the extended-life battery though.  Especially if you plan to leave GPRS on all the time.  Haven't yet tried the GPRS to Wi-Fi hand-off at Starbucks, but plan to do that this week.  The Wi-Fi did pick up my 802.11b signal in the house and worked flawlessly there.  But since I have such bad GSM coverage at my house, I could not try out the switch.  One other thing that we will ALL want to invest in........ a decent case.  The one HP will likely ship is simply "OK", not great, but basic functionality.

After three days of playing with this phone, I *LOVE* it!
That's good to hear tobyp.

Question: There's been quite a stir regarding the processor only running at 168mhz, can you comment as to the performance of this device?

Thanks

+Quote Post
tobyp
post Aug 16 2004, 10:00 PM
Post #7

Yes, I did the see the tirade initiated by msmobiles.com I have also replied in their forum about this issue.

Essentially, I think it's a non-issue.

These devices, by and large, are not intended to be used as a substitute for a laptop or desktop computer. They are intended to help keep you organized and in touch. I have yet to load a GPS program, so perhaps there may be some slowness there, I simply do not know. As I said in the msmobiles forum.....

It's not always about speed!

--------------------
Toby Pennycuff
Dallas, Texas

+Quote Post
Hulkster
post Aug 16 2004, 11:35 PM
Post #8

Gadget Junkie

So a bigger battery is needed, gonna be real thick though, lol.

Anyone know if it will be sold by major retailers like bestbuy, compusa, buy.com, etc in a factory sealed packaging???? Reason is that so I can just pop in my prepaid t-mobile sim........

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Mo_Pho
post Aug 17 2004, 01:21 AM
Post #9

Yes, I did the see the tirade initiated by msmobiles.com    I have also replied in their forum about this issue.

Essentially, I think it's a non-issue.

These devices, by and large, are not intended to be used as a substitute for a laptop or desktop computer.  They are intended to help keep you organized and in touch.  I have yet to load a GPS program, so perhaps there may be some slowness there, I simply do not know.  As I said in the msmobiles forum.....

It's not always about speed!

Sorry, just a few more questions if you don't mind tobyp biggrin.gif

Not to belabor the point but, did you notice any slowness in basic navigation or media intensive applications (ie: games or large files)?

Can you comment on the screen? Several people have mentioned that it seems dull looking and appears to be washed out.

Also I currently use, and love, MS Voice Command software. Do you know if it's possible to use a Bluetooth headset to initiate voice commands with the h6315?

Thanks in advance.

+Quote Post
tobyp
post Aug 17 2004, 01:41 PM
Post #10

Mo Pho,

Have yet to notice any slowness in the device. It takes longer for the device to come up from a soft reset (than my XDA I) but it's not a big deal to me. No slowness in response around basic navigation to date. Since I don't use my device for games (other than Solitaire when I'm stuck on an airplane), I can't really opine on its capabilities in this area.

As for the screen, I guess people making the washed out comments were looking at a different device. The screen is very clear and the colors are vibrant. I'm not sure what is driving the washed out comments as I have yet to observe this phenomena.

As for Voice Command, I don't use that package, but HAVE used Fonix VoiceDial. I used it over the weekend with my Jabra headset to initiate voice calls. Worked like a champ! If my THB System-8 Hands-Free setup in my Cayenne were working properly (my Bluetooth adapter is not transmitting the audio channels), I would have had a GREAT hands-free setup in my car as well. Once I get a replacement Bluetooth adapter, I'm certain that all will be well in that department too.

--------------------
Toby Pennycuff
Dallas, Texas

+Quote Post
Mo_Pho
post Aug 17 2004, 03:26 PM
Post #11

tobyp,

Thanks for the information, since I'm considering purchasing this device I'd love to hear any other comments and/or observations you have.

Thanks again!

+Quote Post
tobyp
post Aug 17 2004, 08:48 PM
Post #12

My order is already in for this device. That should tell you what I think of it. As I learn more about it, I will post other observations.

--------------------
Toby Pennycuff
Dallas, Texas

+Quote Post
Mo_Pho
post Aug 17 2004, 08:53 PM
Post #13

My order is already in for this device.  That should tell you what I think of it.  As I learn more about it, I will post other observations.

tobyp,

You may or may not know the answer to this but, since I am not a T-Mobile customer would they be willing to sell me an unlocked version of this device? :roll:

Thanks

+Quote Post
Hulkster
post Aug 17 2004, 10:13 PM
Post #14

Gadget Junkie

So ATT will be the only one to offer the phone?

Isn't the h6315 gonna be offered with t-mobile in a few days, then in sept or oct, cingular/att gonna offer it too? Or some other company I think.

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Aug 17 2004, 11:07 PM
Post #15

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,097
Phone: Other
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
MP3 Player: Creative
Google Talk ID: eric.d.jones (at) gmail.com

LOL You know when I posted
No T-Mobile does not sell or support the MPx200.
I completly forgot what topic I was in. Yeah, it has been one of those days and I totally lost track of where I was, sorry for the confusion, I have since deleted my previous post.

T-Mobile has exclusive rights to this device for 3 months I belive (beside the point), and then AT&T/Cingular will be carrying it. I would imagine the chances of them selling an unlocked version are slim, that would defeat the point of having exclusive rights to sell the 6315. Again sorry for the confusion earlier.

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps, Infantry
Currently using an iPhone
My Gadget History : AT&T Tilt,
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post
Hulkster
post Aug 18 2004, 12:37 AM
Post #16

Gadget Junkie

Hmmm, true about whats the point on having a unlocked version though. Everyone made a big deal on getting the mpx200 unlocked so...........hopefully they make on for the h6315 and mpx220 (sorry for the offtopic).

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
FrankieFiero
post Aug 18 2004, 02:11 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 1,631
Phone: SMT5600

I think the only place you'll have a shot at getting an unbranded/unlocked version of the device would be directly from HP (albeit unlikely), and then there would be absolutely no discount from MSRP.
But if AT&Tingular will be carrying this phone - it would be pretty sweet if you could get it unlocked and update the firmware to whichever carrier you're using rather than fool around with all the manual settings like on the MPx200

--------------------
SMT5600 on AT&Tingular Blue
HP iPaq rz3715
RoyalTek Bluetooth GPS
OnCourse Navigator 4 (PPC)

+Quote Post
tobyp
post Aug 18 2004, 02:49 PM
Post #18

No need to update firmware if you move between GSM carriers. That's what your SIM card does for you.

--------------------
Toby Pennycuff
Dallas, Texas

+Quote Post
FrankieFiero
post Aug 18 2004, 06:10 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 1,631
Phone: SMT5600

I'm talking about the voicemail speed dial #, the GPRS settings, etc... you know, all the fun stuff that you change when you unlock your phone that the carriers build into their ROMs. Also would take care of getting rid of mMode when you go to T-Mo and adding all their custom apps (and vice-versa). I think there's probably a few MPx200 users that would have loved a T-Mo ROM to load on their phone so they could just unlock and go.

--------------------
SMT5600 on AT&Tingular Blue
HP iPaq rz3715
RoyalTek Bluetooth GPS
OnCourse Navigator 4 (PPC)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:45 PM