Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,608
Phone: T-Mobile DASH
Carrier: Alltel
Secondary Carrier: AT&T Wireless
PocketPC: None

Hello

I am needing some advice on three different things that will be put together for one purpose. A Smart Phone (Cingular/AT&T), a GPS Receiver for the phone and software for the GPS. I live in San Diego CA. and currently have a contract with AT&T. So I would prefer to come up with a combination that will work on that network.

I would like the phone to run Windows and Office, more specifically Excel, and have a built in camera (currently I am thinking the BlackJack is a good choice).
Then I am needing a GPS receiver with Bluetooth that will work with the Phone and Mapping Software, I am looking for mapping software rather than subscribing to something like Cingular/AT&T TeleNav monthly GPS Service, that can do something like the following:

A GPS/Mapping software that will build routes with putting in 50 addresses or more and will provide a suggestion for the most efficient route possible. If not, then something that will show on a map each location so that I can rearrange the route properly, similar to the way mapquest works with one big exception allowing more that 10 locations.

I do on site customer property surveys and every 3 to 5 days I receive between 10 to 30 work orders, on excel spread sheets, each will have between 1 to 30 addresses. There can be addresses that are next door to each other or across the street from one another on different work orders and addresses that are 50 miles away from each other on the same work order, I point this out because I am looking for something like this so I do not have to do all the grouping of areas manually as well as not having to drive across town from one address to another, overlapping locations I have already been at.

As an added benefit I was hoping that the GPS/Mapping software would allow for the addresses to be imported in form Excel rather that having to manually type in each individual address.

Thank you for your time and any suggestions and/or advice that you might share.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jul 19 2007, 05:30 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

Cingular/AT&T are supposed to be releasing the HTC Kaiser next month. The nice thing about it, aside from all the other incredible specs, is built-in GPS. So you wouldn't need to bother with an external receiver. Really, the device you should get will depend first upon whether you want a touch screen or not.

As for the software, I'm not exactly certain on any that will do what you're wanting. That doesn't mean they won't, I've just never checked for that function in any software I've used. By far the best software I've used, and am using now, is iGuidance. That is PPC/Touch screen only software though, so if you go with a device like the BlackJack there are other software options to consider.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
Slacker
post Jul 19 2007, 07:46 PM
Post #3

Site Administrator

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,609
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: T-Mobile
PocketPC: HTC

Funny you should ask as I did a piece a while ago on a really good GPS setup. Of course the models are probably a little better but it will give you some good points to look for when selecting parts:

http://www.mobilegadgetnews.com/index.php?showtopic=13264

And as smeg said, the Kaiser is due out any day. That will be my replacement for my current Wizard!

--------------------
Jim Cleek (Slacker)
Editor / Administrator
Mobile Gadget News

My Gadgets
iPhone 3GS
HTC TyTN II
HTC Wizard
HTC Touch Dual
Motorola MPX220
Motorola MPX200
HP Ipaq 5550

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Jul 19 2007, 07:56 PM
Post #4

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: Alltel

I don't know if any of the mobile mapping programs do what you want. I'd check Microsoft's Pocket Streets, since I do know their Streets & Trips for desktop PC does exactly what you're asking for (import from Excel spreadsheet & automatic routing etc). It's not as elegant a solution as accomplishing everything on your phone, but you can use a laptop with a BT GPS receiver and PC mapping software to get you where you want to go in the most efficient way - with very little effort on your part. And, since I haven't looked into this much (except right now for you), so I can't say for sure, but I think there is a Streets & Trips package out there that comes with Pocket Streets for Pocket PC included (2005 appears to have it). I just did a VERY quick search to see what I could find and came up with a couple links you may want to check out:

Download Pocket Streets 2005 for free

Download Maps for Pocket Streets 2005 from Microsoft

Here's a blurb from Microsoft's WindowsMobile Site regarding GPS on your mobile discussing several options:

Microsoft Pocket Streets
If you want a low-cost GPS solution, and don't mind not having voice directions—for instance, if you always have someone in the passenger seat who can call out directions—you can use Pocket Streets with a separately purchased GPS receiver. Streets & Trips comes with Pocket Streets. After you download the maps onto your device, you can use your Pocket PC or Smartphone with a GPS receiver to see where you are on a map. It won't route you or give you turn-by-turn directions, but it will help keep you from getting lost, and has points of interest so you can find nearby restaurants, banks, shopping malls, and more.

So, I can't tell from that if you can create a map using Streets & Trips then somehow convert it to Pocket Streets. Clearly, Pocket Streets does not offer turn by turn navigation.

I found this and have no idea if it's helpful, but thought I'd throw it in the mix.

Like I said, I know for a fact you can do what you want using a laptop (so you can use the Streets & Trips software) and a BlueTooth GPS receiver. They make clever mounts for safely holding your laptop in the car on a swivel mount so you can position it correctly for use while you drive. But, new laws about no screens forward of the drivers eyes might mean this isn't kosher any longer.

If you don't need mapping on the fly, here's what I used to do...
The addresses/stops I would be going to would come to me in text format (via download from the company's site). Using Excel, I'd import the list and convert it to a spreadsheet. Then I'd simply import that into Streets & Trips then ask it to give me the quickest route to all the stops. Then I'd print out the driving directions. I'd do this each evening for the next days work. It worked great and took less than 5 minutes to go from virgin list to scheduled route. It's not hard at all once you get the steps down.

I've also connected an external GPS receiver to my laptop just to see how it worked and that was easy to do to. But, I never used it in the field so can't speak to how well it works.

If you get a device (Smartphone (pre wm6 name)/Standard (new name since wm6 came out) OR PPC/Professional (same deal with the naming scheme) that does not have GPS built in (the way Smeg suggested) you can always buy an external BT GPS receiver and have it interact with whatever mapping software you choose.

Personally, I use the Holux GPSlim240 (got it on eBay for around $40) 'cuz it's so small I can hang it on my keychain and I always have it + my phone so I can anytime/anywhere use active navigation or just get a map. I use the Mapopolis software, but I know it won't do the multi-point maps you're wanting to do.

Thinking about it, and if I wanted to use the hardware/software I have right now (PPC+HoluxGPSlim240+Mapopolis), I'd import my list of addresses into Outlook (make sure they're named 01_whatever, 02_whatever, etc so they show up at the top of your contacts list and so they can be deleted en masse quickly and easily) then sync my phone so all those stops became part of my Contacts list. Then use "find Contact" in Mapopolis to get from one place to the next. BUT, you can only see from one stop to the next this way so you'd already have to know what order you wanted to make your stops. Capiche`?

Good luck!

ps...just read Slacker's post and I'm replacing my Wizard with The HTC Touch and sticking with my HoluxGPSlim receiver. Both phone and GPS receiver are small and easy to carry so they fit my needs/wants extremely well.

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:58 PM