Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 626
Phone: Samsung i760
Carrier: Verizon
Secondary Carrier: Sprint
PocketPC: Other

Teds,

I think the best thing to do is dial 611 from your phone and ask a T-Mobile Rep your question. Also, please post their reply here to help others. I have found T-Mobile customer service to be responsive and prompt.

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN
MGN Making Your Windows Mobile Life Simpler

Main : Samsung i760 - Verizon
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Sep 7 2006, 08:07 AM
Post #22

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,097
Phone: Other
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: Creative
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: eric.d.jones (at) gmail.com

If you get a local SIM, the T-Mobile settings will not work. I can atest to that from recently traveling internationally. I had to set the local carriers data settings (if they support data on prepaid). Now if I were using my Cingular SIM (with international plan, that T-Mobile has for free, but you have to make sure you activate it), then everything worked for a price. Honestly, your best bet is to go local and just search for the data settings somewhere. Call in a "favor" if you must (it worked for me). While I was in Thailand, I was completly connected with unlimited data, and calls costing only about $0.10 per minute (US) back here to the states. It was a pretty nice deal and beat Cingulars discounted offer of $1.29 per minute calling.

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps, Infantry
Currently using an iPhone
My Gadget History : AT&T Tilt,
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post
teds
post Sep 7 2006, 07:12 PM
Post #23

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,178
Carrier: T-Mobile

Again - thank you both for your information. I called T-Mobile tech support and the customer service person said I would need to subscribe to the Total Internet package for the time I was overseas in order to access Internet or to get email. I was surprised to hear them say this was necessary in order to receive email. But my question still remains - since in effect I am currently getting total internet access while subscribing to T-Zone through your cab files, do I need to subscribe to the Total Internet Package which would be $30 extra for the month I am overseas? GrYphOn, thanks for your tips. Depending on what I find once I arrive, I might switch back and forth between SIM cards - use a local one for calling and the T-Mobile one for Internet and email access.

+Quote Post
abatis
post Sep 7 2006, 07:30 PM
Post #24

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 626
Phone: Samsung i760
Carrier: Verizon
Secondary Carrier: Sprint
PocketPC: Other

With the info you have you could get over there and give it a shot with the current settings. You can always call them from over there and have them flip the switch. I know one of our viewers went to the old East Block countries with her Cingular 8125 and came home to a $1200 data bill. They worked it out but that is Cingular, unlike T-Mo who is a Euro company.

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN
MGN Making Your Windows Mobile Life Simpler

Main : Samsung i760 - Verizon

+Quote Post
teds
post Oct 15 2006, 10:23 PM
Post #25

I have another question about using the SDA and it might involve the .cab files. I wanted to try to use the SDA as a modem for my laptop. Following all of the manual instructions, I was able to establish a connection but no web pages would load. When I called T-Mobile, they said that the phone could not act as a modem unless I subscribed to the total Internet package.

Is this true? Is there a way that your program that allows full web access with T-Web to also help allow the phone to work as a modem?

Thanks,
Ted

+Quote Post
teds
post Dec 23 2006, 02:23 AM
Post #26

Would these cab files were exactly the same with the T-Mobile Dash? I am considering upgrading from the SDA to the dASH.

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Dec 23 2006, 06:35 AM
Post #27

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: Alltel

I don't know about the Dash, but I just loaded the CAB file onto a new unlocked Cingular 3125 and it works perfectly. That makes me hopeful it'd work on the Dash too as these are both new phones.

The Dash interests me as well. So, if you try it and it works (or, doesn't) come back here and let us know your results.

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Dec 26 2006, 06:16 AM
Post #28

Site Administrator
Group Icon

You shouldn't need to run the .cab files on the Dash as it is already set up for T-Mobile and has everything designed into the ROM around using it on the T-Mobile network.

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post
teds
post Dec 29 2006, 03:55 PM
Post #29

GrYphon - you are absolutely correct. I bought the Dsh yesterday and put in the SIM card from the SDA. Both email and full internet worked well. But isn't this odd? Why would anyone subscribe to the full Internet package when getting the T-M web package gives you the same service at a much lower price?

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Dec 29 2006, 07:50 PM
Post #30

Site Administrator
Group Icon

It all depends on what you use it for. If you intend on accessing anything secure over the internet you typically need the $19.99 unlimited plan. Good to see that the cheaper plans are still working for the basics. I remember years ago you could use WM devices on T-Mobile with free unlimited data until they started plugging the holes in their system that we all took advantage, then it went to the $5.99 plan, then more holes got plugged, then onto the $19.99 plan for unlimited and unrestricted internet use. At least T-Mobile will let you use your device as a modem at no extra cost on the $19.99 plan where as Cingular will not.

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant

+Quote Post
teds
post Dec 30 2006, 04:00 PM
Post #31

I am able to use both the Dash and the SDA as a modem with the T-M Web package. They do work somewhat differently as the SDA requires the *99# to be input and the Dash does it automatically.

When I called T-Mobile to ask if the Dash had similar email capabilities as SDA, they told me that the Dash email would only work if one subscribed to the Total Internet package. They also said that the SDA email was working with the Web package only because of a problem in their system that would eventually be corrected. Yet in their promotional brochure, it says unlimited email access under the Web package description.

The email system on the Dash does work the same as on the SDA except it can be pushed. Since there is no text message involved, there is no charge.

All in all, I am very happy with the Dash. It does everything th SDA does but has a usable keyboard, a bigger screen, a better navigation button system, and some additional functions. But I hope the Internet access and email functionality do not get taken away from the less expensive web package.

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Dec 31 2006, 12:35 AM
Post #32

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Being able to tether my phone to get a on the internet with my laptop is the biggest thing that I miss about T-Mobile now. There have been several times I would have liked to take advantage of that, but wouldn't dare as I don't want to pay the additional charges if I get caught.

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant

+Quote Post
fersure
post Feb 10 2007, 02:29 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 14,986
Phone: Dopod s300
MP3 Player: iPod

After unzipping the Tzones.zip file to the 2 CAB files (tmotzones.CAB & tmotzones2.CAB) and AutoSyncing them to the phone Temp folder, do you clk (run) both of them before doing a power off.on sequence?

Is this process (installation) necessary to get the full features of the $5.95 TMobileWeb package on the Dash phone?

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Feb 10 2007, 03:13 AM
Post #34

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

I can't answer the $5.95 question but yes, after you move the 2 cab files to your phone you must click on them (using your phone to do so) and when they're done installing soft boot (power off/on).

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
teds
post Feb 27 2007, 06:31 PM
Post #35

Has something changed? Today I was not able to access either my email or internet on Dash. I called and T-M said that because I only subscribed to T-Zone package, I should not be getting email or internet. When I explained that I was ever since I bought the phone, they said that their system occasionally scan customer accounts and makes corrections. I tired to install the cab files which is what I had to do to get this to work on SDA but even that did not bring back my email or internet access. Am I doomed to having to pay $25 more for total internet package?

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Feb 27 2007, 07:06 PM
Post #36

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

I've read many similar reports over the past day. It seems T-Mobile changed something yesterday that has been causing T-Zones to not work anymore. I'm not sure if you can get it working by just changing the settings around, or if you have to upgrade your plan.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Feb 27 2007, 09:12 PM
Post #37

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

I've read the same thing over the past couple of days. I recall one person said he had success changing the pIE connection to internet instead of wap...or, something like that. I don't have this issue since our T-Mo phone is unlimited everything so I haven't tested it myself. But when I read it, I thought he was referring to opening pIE then going to the menu/options/connections/select network AND switching between internet and WAP there. I don't recall which did what...but, if you try it and it changes anything YOU can let us know. It could just be he wasn't scooped up yet in T-Mo's net. Who knows?

Good luck!

--------------------

+Quote Post
teds
post Feb 27 2007, 10:11 PM
Post #38

Do you have any links to what you have read that I can check out?

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Feb 28 2007, 03:16 AM
Post #39

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

here and here

Good luck!

--------------------

+Quote Post
teds
post Feb 28 2007, 01:58 PM
Post #40

Now this is really weird. This morning I turned on the phone and all is working as it was 2 days ago. Email and Internet work fine.

When I first signed up for T-M service with SDA, I was told by T-M that the T-web package would get me full email capabiltites. Their description on web said the same. When I switched to Dash (and signed new 2 year contract) I continued to have full email capabilities but also had full Inet access instead of just T-web. Now T-M customer service says t-web is not intended for smart phones like SDA and Dash and I am supposed to get full Inet package. It seems to me this is a breach of contract on their part. If they want to provide me with more service than I signed up for that is their business but if they want to provide me with less service than I signed up for than I have issues.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:48 PM