post Mar 21 2006, 06:33 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,575
Phone: HTC Hurricane
Carrier: T-Mobile
PocketPC: HP iPAQ
MP3 Player: iPod

I just picked up an SDA last night to replace my reliable, but aging Nokia 6600. I had some initial problems, but I think I've resolved most of them. Here's a list, for those who might have some questions:

You can't sync SIM contacts with Outlook, so you're best to either beam them from your old phone or sync your old phone with Outlook, if possible, and transfer them that way. If you do beam, IR is fast and easy, but you'll probably have to do them one at a time. Also, from my Nokia, the associated contact photos did migrate across the ether.

The SDA will probably work with iSync on OSX if you buy $40 in software.

Now how about a few questions:

Is there an easier way to lock the phone besides pressing the power button and selecting option 4?

How do I find the MAC address for my wifi adapter for use on MAC-filtered networks? I've looked pretty much everywhere I can think of, but to no avail.

Do I have to use a miniSD card for MP3 ringtones? Is there a specific folder on the phone they need to be placed in for them to be seen in the menu?

Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kampf
post Mar 21 2006, 06:55 PM
Post #2

Ok, I found out the ringtone answer at the bottom of the .pdf included on the CD. I copied the .mp3 file to Smartphone/Application Data/Sounds and it shows up. I can't delete the .mp3 from My Documents/My Sounds from within the phone, for some odd reason, but I should be able to next time I sync.

Still no luck finding the MAC.

+Quote Post
merde
post Mar 21 2006, 07:01 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,890
PMC: Other

Is there an easier way to lock the phone besides pressing the power button and selecting option 4?
Hold down the hang-up key for two seconds.

How do I find the MAC address for my wifi adapter for use on MAC-filtered networks? I've looked pretty much everywhere I can think of, but to no avail.

Start..Comm Manager..Settings..Wi-Fi Settings..Connection Status

+Quote Post
kampf
post Mar 21 2006, 08:05 PM
Post #4

Thanks. I was unsure whether that MAC was for the device or the network it's connected to.

+Quote Post
Long
post Mar 22 2006, 03:11 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 11,566

dude..i jjust got a SDA myself today too....now i have no idea how to use them....is there any sites that they show how to install software, add games, music....etcc ?????...thanks....

+Quote Post
kampf
post Mar 22 2006, 08:46 PM
Post #6

Software installs are pretty simple as long as you're downloading the proper type. Make sure it's for Windows Smartphone, not Pocket PC or Windows Mobile. Most of the good programs have a normal installer, which then informs you that the next time you sync, it will install onto the phone. Others may require you to put the application in a folder on the phone, via ActiveSync.

Music is simple. Put the files on your miniSD card in the root folder. Go into WMP and make sure that the library is set to your storage card, then select "update library" to have it scan for the files. The mp3s will also be usable for ringtones if placed there. If you don't have a miniSD card, put them in Application Data/Sounds for use as a ringtone, or in My Documents/My Music if you want them in your library. The phone doesn't have much RAM onboard, so I'd highly suggest getting a card, even a small one.

+Quote Post
Someone99
post May 9 2006, 03:52 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 12,045
Phone: Cingular 8125
PocketPC: Other
MP3 Player: Other

This forum is amazing!

Ok I got the T-Mobile SDA last week after being a NOKIA fanatic for a decade, apart from my last phone which was a Blackberry 7100t.

The SDA is amazing and I am still learning it. I love streming radio ove rthe net as I can catch up on sports from Europe anywhere live here in the USA!

Everyone tells me I should have gone for the MDA but I like the SDA size and the fact that I can type with one hand while driving, something I don't think I could do with the MDA.

I have a few quick questions:

1) where is the F(*&ing "enter" key when you are typing an email?
2) I see attachments in emails but cannot open them. I installed the ClearView software that came with CD but still cannot open the attachments
3) It does not like Google, GMail, or real player!!! (However, it works with MSN, Hotmail and Windows media player!! ...... I wonder if this has something to do with Bill Gates? smile.gif)

The tips above with regards to easy keylock and the MAC address are helpful!

Thanks !

+Quote Post
smeg36
post May 9 2006, 04:40 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

Not having a SDA to help you troubleshoot, I can only really answer one of your questions.

1) You mean the key to enter and start a new paragraph? Press in on the joystick.

2) What format is the attachment?

3) Not sure about Google or Gmail; both have worked fine for me with all WM devices I've personally used. Real Player? Why bother? Seriously though, I encode all videos to avi and use TCPMP for all video and audio.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
Someone99
post May 9 2006, 01:13 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 12,045
Phone: Cingular 8125
PocketPC: Other
MP3 Player: Other

Thanks Smeg!

1) pressing on the joystick is what I was looking for. Thanks. I am not much for reading manuals... biggrin.gif

2) Any attachments, Word, Excel, PDF etc

3) Yeah, I don't know why google doesn't work. I need Real player becuase some streaming radio & TV stations on the Net only come in Real player

Anyhow, thnaks for tip.

Anyone else has any idea about attachments, Google and Real Player on the SDA?

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Jul 16 2006, 10:12 AM
Post #10

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: Alltel

QUOTE (Someone99 @ May 8 2006, 08:52 PM) *
...I like the SDA size and the fact that I can type with one hand while driving...
ohmy.gif

Other than that... blink.gif

Are the SDA and imate SP5/Qtek 8310/Vodafone the only SmartPhones with wifi built in? I looked at T-Mo's phone lineup yesterday and thought I might be able to live with the MDA (I liked the large screen very much), but just looked into it further and found out it's a PPC. The keyboard isn't a big deal to me. I'm only interested in a SmartPhone at this time since I've got a lot of Software for the OS that I'd like to continue to use. I haven't looked at PPCs in general, 'cuz I don't really like a phone that looks like a square-ish box. In general, I prefer a flip phone since it protects itself and can't dial by itself etc. etc. Yes, I know you can lock the keypad and use a screen protector. I will go down that road if I have to, but not loving the idea. Let's just put it that way. dry.gif

I listen to lots of music on my phone, so between the two mentioned above (SDA & imate) I'm leaning towards the SDA with it's dedicated media keys. They seem to have the same specs otherwise.

I'm not keen on the candy bar form factor, but am thinking I'd like to try a phone with wifi built in and see if I'll use it enough to give up a flip style phone (which is my MUCH preferred form factor). I like my MPx220 and thought I wanted the Qtek 8500 (Star Trek), but am having second thoughts on that one.

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Jul 17 2006, 06:19 PM
Post #11

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: Alltel

QUOTE (runningtiger @ Jul 16 2006, 03:12 AM) *
Are the SDA and imate SP5/Qtek 8310/Vodafone the only SmartPhones with wifi built in?
I think my question got lost over the weekend. So, I'm bumping hoping to get some input.

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jul 17 2006, 11:12 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

As far as I know, yes that is the only series of Smartphone with wifi built in.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:37 AM