Xeno
post Oct 20 2006, 11:07 PM
Post #1

Gadget Junkie

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,190
Phone: Cingular 8525
Carrier: Alltel

According to this thread - http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=992554 - and this Ms web - http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN...=9&p1=12087 - Microsoft will release a commercial 1.6 version of its Voice Command by 12/15/06. One of the "insiders" said it would really be out in a month.

I wonder how realistic this projection is from Microsoft? I would certainly be in line to purchase this software and the sooner the better.

--------------------
Cingular 3125, MPX 220 1.43
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
omega2008
post Oct 22 2006, 01:12 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 7,026
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular

I heard from other people that this should be out soon. Somewhere around the projected release date.

--------------------
Support the Windows Mobile Community! Become a Subscriber

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Oct 22 2006, 04:11 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

My main complaint with VC, which isn't address by this update as far as I know, is the lack of BT dialing. Obviously there are devices you can hack up to get VC working over BT, but devices with it built-in, like my Treo 700wx, can't do BT voice dialing. It's very annoying, and almost defeats the purpose for my usage, when I'm driving in my car. I like to push the button on my headset once and dial a name. VC is still safer and easier than looking up a name, but I do have to take the phone out of the holster, turn it on, and press the VC button on my phone.

I guess I can understand the reasoning MS had in initially designing the software without support for BT. When they released it the phone portion of WM was really in it's infancy. But now that more WM devices are selling with phones than without (my guesswork, I don't have any stats t back that claim up), it seems like it's time to update the software with support for BT dialing.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
Xeno
post Oct 22 2006, 03:40 PM
Post #4

Gadget Junkie

I don't know anything about BT headsets, but according to a post in this thread - http://forums.cingular.com/cng/board/messa...essage.id=20089 - one person is doing well with th3 1.5 beta combined with jetware bluetooth enhancement.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fowen
post Nov 2 2006, 02:35 PM
Post #5

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 591
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: None

I am also doing bluetooth dialing on my 3125 and Jetware installed. I do believe the basic MSVC functions work in the "free" version after the 30 day trial, but I will find out on the 3rd!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Xeno
post Nov 19 2006, 12:14 AM
Post #6

Gadget Junkie

http://microsoft.handango.com/PlatformProd...roductId=199594

Is this the VC 1.6 for smartphone I have been looking for? Why mention 8125 but not 3125?

I read a thread about this in the Cingular forum and one poster have a hack to get the voice tag button to activate VC 1.6. However, in 1.5 setup, under "voice button" all you had to do was select the "record" button which is the voice tag button and it worked fine. Is this missing now? The thread I mentioned is at http://forums.cingular.com/cng/board/messa...essage.id=22088

I also found this thread http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1045238 but have not yet read all of the threads to which it links that was started weeks ago.

Edited to say I started with the wrong link. That is for the pocket pc. The smartphone link - including the 3125 - is at http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDet...oductId=199595#

And after reading the Howard thread another question. One post claims that part of his problem at first was having his applicaitons unlocked. That to get VC to do all he wanted it to do that the applicaitons needed to be locked. Of course to use 1.5 on a 3125, the apps had to be unlocked. Does a hard reset lock the apps or is there a specific way to at least temporarily go back to locked apps?

This post has been edited by Xeno: Nov 19 2006, 12:47 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Nov 19 2006, 03:59 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

What method did you use to app unlock the phone? It should be a relatively easy registry edit to relock the phone again. I like that they finally added support for bluetooth, but it still doesn't work on the Treo through bluetooth. I can't believe that Palm puts such emphasis on one-handed use, then leaves out such a vital function.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Xeno
post Nov 19 2006, 11:48 AM
Post #8

Gadget Junkie

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Nov 18 2006, 10:59 PM) *
What method did you use to app unlock the phone? It should be a relatively easy registry edit to relock the phone again. I like that they finally added support for bluetooth, but it still doesn't work on the Treo through bluetooth. I can't believe that Palm puts such emphasis on one-handed use, then leaves out such a vital function.

I'm in the middle of a trip and don't have all my notes, but I thought it involved a registry change plus activating a file that insurances the applications are unlocked. I know a hard reset will fix the registry, but I didn't know what the other file had done. The file came in a zip file named SDA_ApplicationUnlock.

Since my original post, I've now seen a message from a 1.6 w 3125 user that says he keep his apps unlocked. And read somewhere else that some uninstalled 1.5 and others didn't even bother to uninstall 1.5. But I think the last group ran into some complications.

I think these were the registry changes:
Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies:
Change the DWORD named "1001" to 1
Change the DWORD named "1005" to 40

This post has been edited by Xeno: Nov 19 2006, 01:01 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Nov 19 2006, 01:52 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

I don't think the application lock status would affect the installation of Voice Command. There are some files and programs you'd have trouble installing if it were locked, but being unlocked shouldn't cause a program to have trouble installing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Xeno
post Nov 21 2006, 11:14 PM
Post #10

Gadget Junkie

Now that I am home, can report that the installation of 1.6.1 went smoothly. No problems. Everything I have tried works okay, but I don't use BT headsets and the Howard thread mentioned earlier has a discussion about how to make sure they work.

Edited to ask about the video that Ms provides on the Handango web: namely, http://www.handango.com/Enterprise/microso...ommand_high.exe

I can easily watch this on my pc, but wanted it on the phone itself until I learn the basic phrases. I thought listening to it while driving or on the plane would be easier than search the text help file that is provided.

However, when I try to activate the VoiceCommand_high.exe file on the phone I get a warning that this is from an unknown publisher and might hurt my device? Hugh? Is it not from Microsoft? Even so, will it in any way damage a 3125? I only have media player so it might not play anyway.

This post has been edited by Xeno: Nov 22 2006, 01:14 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
KTM Tony
post Dec 22 2006, 03:18 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 14,040
Phone: MPx220
PocketPC: None

I just picked up my 3125 today and the BT voice dailing works on it. Headset HS820.
I'm undecided if I like the phone or not. The Navagation pad is to small and hard to use.
Nothing like on my MPX220. But, I'm still playing with it. smile.gif

Tony

--------------------
Tony

Mpx220 1gig minSD, 3125 2gig microSD, LG cu500 2 gig microSD

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 08:48 PM