Sancho
post Feb 5 2006, 02:13 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,137
Phone: MPx200
Carrier: T-Mobile

I am now doing as follows:

I let the phone charge for just a few minutes. Then I just made sure my SIM and SD were inserted properly and powered up my MPx200. I then plugged in the power while sitting on the tree picture, to see if it may be able to stay alive long enough to boot completely. I am now waiting. too see what happens. I will be refreshing this post while I wait. So, any suggestions may be helpful, or at least take my mind off how much this bites. (I will be MUCH happier when this is all over and I can start getting ALL out of my phone.

Thank you,
Sancho

This post has been edited by Sancho: Feb 5 2006, 02:15 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sancho
post Feb 5 2006, 09:21 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 11,137
Carrier: T-Mobile

OK!!! This is bullS**t. Sorry people... I'm pissed off now
HOURS LATER!!!! This crap still isn't working. Can somebody remind me why I am so interested in doing this anyway? What is the big deal with the piece of crap software anyway. WM5 = (W)ithout (M)obile for (5) hours or more. I have been workin on this damn thing ALL DAY. I am SOOOOO Frustrated.

I followed the directions AGAIN. And still stuck at white freakin screen after last reset for over 1.5 hours now. This is ridiculas. AND this time I chose NOT to format storage. So, I know that's not what is takin so long. All I chose on the final master reset was to clean reg... What happens after the white screen?? Anything??....

I just removed and replaced battery and now I am stuck at the damn tree screen again for over 45 minutes. (I have had this reply box open forever, just adding things in as I go. This is so stupid) Now I 'm sure somebody is going ot tell me I got a bad image. Well I downloaded the same one everybody else has from Kingswood... and EVERYBODY else who has seems to have NO problems. WHY ME??? Do I have to do anything else to the phone or battery or SD card or SIM card before starting this to prepair for this upgrade??? If so, please let me know. Thanks in advance for help you may offer. Later!

Going back to 2003 for now! At least IT worked!

Sancho

+Quote Post
ardec1
post Feb 6 2006, 03:09 AM
Post #23

Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 11,102
Phone: SX66/PDA2k
Carrier: Alltel
PocketPC: HTC
PMC: Other

Motorola MPx200 upgrade to WM2005

This is an update to my original post on how to upgrade to WM2005

I have finished testing several ways to upgrade and also a 1GB. Sandisk SD card.

Now before everybody start going “that didn’t work for me/that worked fine for me”, please understand that I am only trying to share information with those of you who are interested in doing the upgrade to WM2005 or WM 5.0 as it is now called and I am not interested in getting in to a pissing match with somebody because he/she did, or tried to do something different.

As stated in the earlier post, I am only using unlocked phones and only brand new Sandisk SD cards. Don’t care what card you want to use, I have not tried any other brand so I don’t know anything about them.

Tried an upgrade on a locked unit with WM 2002 on it, it didn’t go, it croaked after flashing the first image.

Unlocked the phone and upgraded to WM 2003, installed Rescoe Explorer and formatted the 256MB. SD card.

Removed the SD card and flashed again with the first image file. This time everything went as expected, it behaved just as I described in my earlier post.

Inserted the SD card and flashed the other two image files (after clicking on “Finish” after the second image file has been flashed, I leave the phone connected and restart the Motorola Upgrade Wizard again. It will find the phone without you doing anything other than clicking through the same process as before)

I disconnected the phone and again it behaved just like it was expected to do as described in my earlier post.

I unlocked the register and changed the values as described under “Memory optimizing” in another post (Thank you to the person who posted that information).

The above described process was done with a brand new Sandisk 256MB. SD card and I have found that card to work the best. I did try a Sandisk 1GB. SD card and I learned something unexpected. With a 1GB. card some of the programs that I normmaly install do not install correctly and either don’t function at all or function with unexpected results (one of those programs is OmegaOne Battery Pack Pro for SmartPhone).
It turns out that the way programs are loaded on a 1GB. card is quite different from how they are loaded on a 256MB. card (go figure).

All of the phones I have tried the WM2005 on have booted up a little slower on the first boot but they run quite a bit faster than they did under WM2003 and so far every one of them has been rock solid.

This is only based on my experience with WM2005 on the Motorola MPx200 phones and I am only trying to share it as reference material.

I have also attached this same information as a MS Word document. Hope that is allowed.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Motorola_MPx200_upgrade_to_WM2005.doc ( 21.5K ) Number of downloads: 1035

+Quote Post
Hypertek
post Feb 8 2006, 09:08 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 9,987
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: Other

worked great for me.. however, it doesnt show my sim contacts, but once it syncs, it shows the standard contacts, just not the ones from the sim card.. Any idea?

+Quote Post
ardec1
post Feb 8 2006, 09:33 PM
Post #25

Gadget Junkie

QUOTE (Hypertek @ Feb 8 2006, 02:08 PM) *
worked great for me.. however, it doesnt show my sim contacts, but once it syncs, it shows the standard contacts, just not the ones from the sim card.. Any idea?

When you chose "Contacts" on the main screen and "Menu" you can chose to add a new SIM contact or a regular contact.

SIM contacts are shown on the screen with a SIM card icon.

+Quote Post
vonkugel
post Feb 8 2006, 10:06 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 11,219
Carrier: o2

QUOTE (ardec1 @ Feb 8 2006, 10:33 PM) *
When you chose "Contacts" on the main screen and "Menu" you can chose to add a new SIM contact or a regular contact.

SIM contacts are shown on the screen with a SIM card icon.

like that you can make a new contact on your SIM card, it doesnt answer the question why you cant see the contacts that were on your SIM already.

+Quote Post
dtzxdtzx
post Feb 9 2006, 02:28 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 11,170
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

QUOTE (ardec1 @ Feb 6 2006, 03:09 AM) *
Motorola MPx200 upgrade to WM2005

This is an update to my original post on how to upgrade to WM2005

I have finished testing several ways to upgrade and also a 1GB. Sandisk SD card.

Now before everybody start going “that didn’t work for me/that worked fine for me”, please understand that I am only trying to share information with those of you who are interested in doing the upgrade to WM2005 or WM 5.0 as it is now called and I am not interested in getting in to a pissing match with somebody because he/she did, or tried to do something different.

As stated in the earlier post, I am only using unlocked phones and only brand new Sandisk SD cards. Don’t care what card you want to use, I have not tried any other brand so I don’t know anything about them.

Tried an upgrade on a locked unit with WM 2002 on it, it didn’t go, it croaked after flashing the first image.

Unlocked the phone and upgraded to WM 2003, installed Rescoe Explorer and formatted the 256MB. SD card.

Removed the SD card and flashed again with the first image file. This time everything went as expected, it behaved just as I described in my earlier post.

Inserted the SD card and flashed the other two image files (after clicking on “Finish” after the second image file has been flashed, I leave the phone connected and restart the Motorola Upgrade Wizard again. It will find the phone without you doing anything other than clicking through the same process as before)

I disconnected the phone and again it behaved just like it was expected to do as described in my earlier post.

I unlocked the register and changed the values as described under “Memory optimizing” in another post (Thank you to the person who posted that information).

The above described process was done with a brand new Sandisk 256MB. SD card and I have found that card to work the best. I did try a Sandisk 1GB. SD card and I learned something unexpected. With a 1GB. card some of the programs that I normmaly install do not install correctly and either don’t function at all or function with unexpected results (one of those programs is OmegaOne Battery Pack Pro for SmartPhone).
It turns out that the way programs are loaded on a 1GB. card is quite different from how they are loaded on a 256MB. card (go figure).

All of the phones I have tried the WM2005 on have booted up a little slower on the first boot but they run quite a bit faster than they did under WM2003 and so far every one of them has been rock solid.

This is only based on my experience with WM2005 on the Motorola MPx200 phones and I am only trying to share it as reference material.

I have also attached this same information as a MS Word document. Hope that is allowed.

Hi, Ardec,

Could you please provide the link on Memory optimizing? Also could you please tell us what is the advantage on having WM5 on mpx200? I did flash my phone on the weekend and found that the response on wm5 is sluggish. It is not as fast as wm2003. Then I flashed back to wm2003.

Thanks

+Quote Post
ardec1
post Feb 9 2006, 02:56 AM
Post #28

Gadget Junkie

QUOTE (dtzxdtzx @ Feb 8 2006, 06:28 PM) *
Hi, Ardec,

Could you please provide the link on Memory optimizing? Also could you please tell us what is the advantage on having WM5 on mpx200? I did flash my phone on the weekend and found that the response on wm5 is sluggish. It is not as fast as wm2003. Then I flashed back to wm2003.

Thanks

I can't remember where it is at but it is on this site under Registry editing and I believe that it was posted by AndrewSH.

The key you want to modify is the following:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shell\LowMem\ProgramMem
Change it to 256 instead of 80
ResetDivision change from 0 to 1

(Thank you AndrewSH).

I have found that the speed at which the phone responds is also dependent upon the SD card.
Other people may not agree with me on this but the regular Sandisk 256MB SD card is the one I have found to work the best.

+Quote Post
ericchua
post Feb 16 2006, 09:31 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 11,174
Carrier: Other

laugh.gif
WoW...

WM5 on MPx200 is worst than Windows XP on Pii PCs. It is very.............. Slow....
I switch back to WM2003 with GSM Fix. Works Fine.

But for the MPx200 owner out there it is worth a try for trying the WM5 on your MPx200. It does have very good Iconed desktop like the PC have but it is simply not for the MPx200. I am using a Kingston 256MB Normal speed Card.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

QUOTE (Sancho @ Feb 5 2006, 10:07 AM) *
Ok... I finally found 2 different WM5 images and I found one I heard had been tested. I FOLLOWED ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THIS GUIDE TO THE LETTER. I just wanted everybody to know that for sure so as to not waste time goin over things that had already been done.

1st image went well. 2nd and 3rd images went well. However, after I complete the 3rd image, and replace the battery I am having a problem with that master reset. I select for it to do the "Clean Reg Hive" and to "Format Storage" then hit done. The screen goes white and stayed there. The screen stayed white for well OVER 3 hours. I did not want to mess with it as I was instructed to not do so.

You said;
"The screen will go white and stay that way for a while (how long depends on the size of you SD card). Wait until it is done and then have fun with WM 2005 on your MPx200."

So I let it sit there and nothing. I walked away and came back to it once after this long wait and there was no display. It was like the battery had gone dead. And after being in constant use for over 3 hours I kind of figured that was what happened.

I thought that it was just taking a long time because I have a 1gig SanDisk SD card. Nobody has posted how long it has taken with a card that size. So, now I put the SIM back in and try to boot up and all I get is the Tree picture then the phone dies.

So, what do i do now??? this sucks!

I try it on a 256MB card and it took me at least 30 to 45 min for the phone to restart. but for a start the phone stay with the tree image for a long while. for your case the 1Gig might takes up to 4 hours if base on my 256mb for 45 mins. But the thing works. I have posted in this topic and picture after the upgrade. but mind you the respond is very very slow when using WM5 on the MPx200. the only plus is that you can have MP3 as your ring tone now with WM5. But the ringtone only come up after a few seconds because it reads from the card.
cool.gif

This post has been edited by ericchua: Feb 16 2006, 09:39 AM

+Quote Post
Scox
post Feb 25 2006, 06:56 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 11,355
Carrier: Vodafone

Thanks for the nice guide, it works flawlessely on my MPx200.

Although I've encountered some strange things :

The signal strenght indicator on the front-display doesn't work anymore, it indicates that there's no service... however the signal strenght indicator on the upper right of the homescreen does work. wink.gif

EDIT: Sorry I was using an non activated SIM, with an fully working SIM the front display indicator works.. /EDIT

Can't edit the registry with Mobile Registry Editor 1.1 (access denied when changing a value), but with Rosco (locally on the phone) I can. I've tried some tools to unlock stuff (basically the entire FAQ of MRE on breaksoft.com.) but it still doen't work. mad.gif

I can't find the settings to change the appearance of the clock on the front display. (Does anyone know the registry settings for it? There used to be three modes. (The clock itself does work dough..)

Does anyone here got the same issue's or maybe knows a solution?

Thanx!

This post has been edited by Scox: Feb 25 2006, 07:02 PM

+Quote Post
ardec1
post Feb 25 2006, 07:31 PM
Post #31

Gadget Junkie

http://www.mobilegadgetnews.com/index.php?...pic=10494&st=20

Read post #36 by AndrewSh

+Quote Post
Scox
post Feb 26 2006, 08:21 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 11,355
Carrier: Vodafone

Thanks, all give it a go later, (I sort of misplaced my cardreader...)

Anyway I've found the way to change te appearance of the front LCD:

HKCU\ControlPanel\ExternalLCD\Style DWORD 1, 2 OR 3

1 = Analogue style clock
2 = Default Digital Clock 00:00 with date 00-00-0000
3 = Provider name e.g. Vodafone and Digital Clock 00:00
All other values are invalid (Display will only show SIM LOCKED, doesn't get updated anymore)

HKCU\ControlPanel\ExternalLCD\FlipLogo DWORD 0, 1
0 = Off, LCD will always show info
1 = On, LCD will only show info when the phone is closed.

Don't know if somebody else already posted this, but maybe this helps somebody.

+Quote Post
muchomorek
post Feb 26 2006, 09:04 AM
Post #33

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 2,186
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HP iPAQ

QUOTE (Scox @ Feb 26 2006, 03:21 AM) *
Thanks, all give it a go later, (I sort of misplaced my cardreader...)

Anyway I've found the way to change te appearance of the front LCD:

HKCU\ControlPanel\ExternalLCD\Style DWORD 1, 2 OR 3

1 = Analogue style clock
2 = Default Digital Clock 00:00 with date 00-00-0000
3 = Provider name e.g. Vodafone and Digital Clock 00:00
All other values are invalid (Display will only show SIM LOCKED, doesn't get updated anymore)

HKCU\ControlPanel\ExternalLCD\FlipLogo DWORD 0, 1
0 = Off, LCD will always show info
1 = On, LCD will only show info when the phone is closed.

Don't know if somebody else already posted this, but maybe this helps somebody.

Thats a nice tweak Scox smile.gif

--------------------
iPhone 3GS
SP5
Holux GR-236 Bluetooth GPS
MPx200

+Quote Post
smickerss
post Mar 8 2006, 06:05 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 11,437

I found a 23mb wb2005.img file, its just the one file, and when i try to flash, it hangs at 61%, using upgrade wizard. anybody got any suggestions?

I cant locate the 3 part rom, as the only other rom ive found is a 17.11mb rared file, which when extracted gives me part 2 and 3!!!

+Quote Post
DWS
post May 10 2006, 05:03 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 12,058

Like many others on here, I was having problems upgrading from 2003 to WM5 using a 1GB SD (Kingston). But when I put in a 16MB card I had sitting around, it flew through the entire process without any problem.

My question - is there a way to make an image of this SD card and clone it only the 1GB card? Just copying didn't seem to work, so I thought it might be some hidden files that are being dropped. The 1GB card works fine in 2003 and on my computer, in my camera, etc. SO I don't think it's a card issue (except the size which perhaps if I waited longer than the 5 hours I waited it might have worked)

Any ideas would be helpful.
David

+Quote Post
PaulK
post May 10 2006, 03:58 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 4,646

speed can be helped by overclocking.. search for OmapClock v2 150Mhz does wonders wink.gif

+Quote Post
PaulK
post May 10 2006, 11:29 PM
Post #37

well I spoke a little soon.. just upgraded to WM5 and now when I run omapclock I get the error "Can't map I/O". This is the same error I get on one of my MPx220's. What is causing this? If you put the unit in silent mode it really helps the speed out tremendously..

+Quote Post
PaulK
post May 11 2006, 12:20 AM
Post #38

little bit of research does wonders.. wink.gif found the problem.. disregard the last post

+Quote Post
satya1981
post Jun 4 2006, 09:23 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 12,373

Worked like a charm. I upgraded my Mpx200 with wm5. I used a kingston 512 mb card that i was previously using in my canon sd200 digicam. I formatted the card in the camera itself and just plugged it in to the phone. Working good for me :-). The whole procss took like 45 mins.

+Quote Post
thebrainp0lice
post Jul 21 2006, 05:36 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 12,942

Okay, I have a question and a problem. When using Mobile Ugrade Wizard, I try to flash the first image file but I get an error message saying "Bad News: Software cannot be updated." Does this mean the files I'm using are bad?

Also if I were to go with WM2003, would it be the same process as listed here or could I just use Mobile Upgrade Wizard and flash one image file after the other without doing anything else?

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:32 PM