post Feb 13 2006, 04:55 PM
Post #1

Mobile Gadget Master
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 8,857
Phone: SMT5600
Carrier: Alltel

We can expect to be a fairly long list of reviews for the Cingular 8125 (the Cingular version of the HTC Wizard).

Here's the first Cingular 8125 review, from Mobility.

Conclusion
I really like this device. Other than GPS, which I only use on occasion, this thing is the complete package. It has good data speeds, a great sounding phone, and a built in Pocket PC that ain't too shabby. The slide out keyboard makes web browsing (lots of forum posting) a snap. The camera is useless, but who uses a camera on a phone anyway? The Cingular 8125 has a great form factor that is a tad thick, but very pocketable. With the mini SD card, I can load this device up with all the mindless games I like to play. If I had to pick one device I have tested to carry for an extended period of time, it would be a toss up between this and the iPAQ 6515, with the 8125 winning out due to its superb battery life.

PROS
WM5
EDGE Support
Quad Band 850/900/1800/1900mhz GSM
Small Size
Vibrant Screen
Superb Battery Life
Great Keyboard

CONS
Slower Processor
Camera
No Cradle

Read the full Mobility review of the Cingular 8125, here.

--------------------
Hey! Want to Post? Have a Question?
Click here to Register and Join Mobile Gadget News
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
omega2008
post Feb 15 2006, 02:36 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 7,026
Phone: Cingular 8525
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular

After 2 weeks of use I will be posting a extensive review in the review section on MGN. Not only that but I will be posting tips and registry hacks for this device, some that others have found, some that I came across myself. You will find the tips and tricks in the FAQ forum, this is where I will be putting all my tutorials for all devices for now on.

--------------------
Support the Windows Mobile Community! Become a Subscriber

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Feb 15 2006, 03:23 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

I look forward to reading your thoughts and tips Omega, you lucky dog. You have been waiting for this thing for ages now, you've got to be excited.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
omega2008
post Feb 15 2006, 04:44 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 7,026
Phone: Cingular 8525

Your dang skippy I am excited! I have been waiting a long time for this device lol. So far I am loving it, email and the web on this thing is amazing! I am still getting used to the PPC OS. I think in my review I will also focus on the differences and similarities between the smartphone and the PPC, and give a users perspective of the usefulness of the two with given scenarios.

--------------------
Support the Windows Mobile Community! Become a Subscriber

+Quote Post
The Undude
post Feb 22 2006, 02:06 AM
Post #5

Mobile Gadget Master
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,857
Phone: SMT5600
Carrier: Alltel

Attached Image

Engadget review of Cingular 8125

Engadget's Matthew Maier has a very positive review of the Cingular 8125.

To say that today's smartphones are as powerful as personal computers were a decade ago is quickly becoming cliché, but that doesn't make it any less true. Witness the Cingular 8125: despite being small enough to fit in the palm of your hand, this powerful quad-band phone packs a 200 MHz processor, 64MB of RAM, enough on-board memory to store scores of MP3s, pictures or videos, and a MiniSD slot to add gigabytes of additional storage, as needed. In other words, the 8125 is a perfectly respectable personal computer that just happens to fit in your pant pocket. And did we mention that this little PC-turned-phone should work on pretty much any GSM network in the free world (providing it's unlocked)?

Attached Image

It's a powerful combination. After testing the 8125 for the last few days, it's clear that Cingular's latest Windows-powered smartphone may be its best yet (it is an HTC, after all). First, the phone itself is solid. Despite a rather measly 5 hours of talk time, the 8125 maintained a clear signal most of the time, and the Microsoft and HTC-designed software made it easy to dial phone numbers, despite the lack of a number pad. Thanks to advances to Microsoft's latest mobile operating system, Windows Mobile 5.0, the phone will automatically pull up contacts from your SIM card or on-board memory once you start dialing, so you never have to go digging for a phone number. (One gripe: you still can't scroll through numbers on the virtual number pad using the directional keys, so that means you'll have to use the stylus, or your finger.)

Attached Image
Attached Image

But if you're seriously considering dropping $350 for this, its ability to make calls is just one necessary function, and possibly not the most important one. And it's the non-phone features that set the 8125 apart. Like many of the latest smartphones, this device offers built-in WiFi, Bluetooth, and a high-speed EDGE radio, making it a cinch to get online. Unlike many of the other phones out there, the 8125's QWERTY keyboard is a dream. While the Treo's keyboard is still considered by many to be the standard-bearer, this phones keyboard is actually roomier and easier to use. Backlit and with slightly raised keys, the 8125 makes it easy to bang out emails, text messages, and do quick web searches.

More importantly, the 8125 offers full native support for all Microsoft Office documents, which means you can seriously consider leaving your laptop at home next time you head off on a quick business trip. You can create, save, and edit Word and Excel documents on the 8125 and send them to your PC without worrying about any annoying formatting problems that used to occur on early revisions. (And vice versa: Documents created in your desktop translate perfectly onto the mobile version of Microsoft's office products.) The 320 x 240 QVGA screen is bright enough -- and big enough -- to make manipulating documents easy enough that you can temporarily forget you're working on a handheld device.

Attached Image
Attached Image

There's more, of course: basic support for all Office documents, a decent 1.3 megapixel camera, and, of course, the ability to sync up the 8125 with your Outlook email, contacts and appointments. Ambitious users can also download and watch Windows Media content on the 8125, including transferring recorded Tivo programs to the phone via USB or transferring songs from music PlaysForSure services such as Yahoo Music Unlimited or Napster To Go. And maybe that's where the similarities between the 8125 and your PC of yesteryear end: your old PC would have a hard time keeping up. It's definitely better suited for the power user, but the 8125 may be one of the best mobile PC replacements we've seen yet see on the US market.

Source: Engadget
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Hey! Want to Post? Have a Question?
Click here to Register and Join Mobile Gadget News

+Quote Post
Sean
post Feb 25 2006, 05:58 PM
Post #6

Site Founder
Group Icon

Group: Senior Admin
Member No.: 1
Phone: Cingular Blackjack
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: iPod Nano
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: murphy dot sean at g mail dot com

Cingular 8125 on Mobile Tech Review

We've come a long way in a year: not only do we have healthy a selection of juicy PPC phones on sale by all US carriers, but Cingular now offers a phone that's leaps and bounds better than the Siemens SX66. The Cingular 8125 is compact, stable and runs the latest Windows Mobile OS. This phone is attractive, well-made and somehow manages to shoehorn every imaginable feature into a small package. We love the bright, colorful display, roomy keyboard and good voice quality. EDGE, WiFi and Bluetooth will keep you connected to most anything, anywhere and Cingular's EDGE speeds on their MEdia Net plan are impressive. Though not the fastest kid on the block, the 8125 does have very good battery life by PPC standards and runs most apps quickly enough, even games. The 8125 loses a half star to the PPC-6700 and XV6700 only because it lacks 3G, which is an important feature for a data-centric device. Though we don't give 1/4 stars, we wish we could add one to move this device just above the 4 star K-JAM since the 8125 has a better keyboard and more attractive and ergonomic casing. If you're also considering the HP iPAQ hw6515, we say the Cingular 8125 beats it (unless you need the iPAQ's integrated GPS) because the iPAQ has a lower resolution 240 x 240 display and runs the old 2003SE OS.

Pro: Compact, attractive and well built. Great display and decent camera. EDGE, WiFi and Bluetooth will keep you connected. Very good voice quality and the phone supports voice dialing over Bluetooth using the included software. Good reception and battery life. Stable and responsive by Windows Mobile 5 standards. Very attractive pricing for a Pocket PC phone.

Con: Cingular's MEdia Net connection settings (proxy) can cause problems using Internet Explorer over WiFi which means you have to twiddle with connection settings. Not the right device for speed demons and those who want to play videos encoded at high bitrates (or larger than QVGA resolution) or run game emulators. Make sure you don't have more than 5 running programs or the phone will slow down (get a task manager to make exiting apps easier).

Read More...

--------------------
Sean Murphy
Editor
Mobile Gadget News

Main Devices - Cingular 8125, Sony/Ericsson GC83 Edge Card, PSP, Creative ZEN PMC, iPod Nano, Mobile Crossing BT GPS

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:37 PM