Post #1

Gadget Junkie

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,102
Phone: SX66/PDA2k
Carrier: Alltel
PocketPC: HTC
PMC: Other

This has probably been posted before, but just in case.ohmy.gif)

WM2005 for Motorola MPx200 upgrade guide

1. Make sure your phone is unlocked, if not download the unlock utility and unlock it.

2. Download the Motorola Mobile Upgrade Wizard v. 1.3.0

3. Download the three image files containing the WM 2005 upgrade. Part 1 should be 14,680 KB, part 2 should be 30,099 KB and part 3 should be 41 KB.

4. Install the Mobile Upgrade Wizard and follow the instruction to connect you phone. For now, just make sure the Upgrade Wizard can connect to you phone.

5. Get a 32 MB. SD card if you don’t already have one. Various cards apparently have problems when used with this upgrade, I have found that a standard speed Sandisk card of 256 MB. works the best.

6. Get some kind of a card reader so you can format the SD card, and format it but do not insert it in the phone yet.

7. You are now ready to start the upgrade after you have removed your SIM card if have not already done so.

8. Start the Mobile Upgrade Wizard and connect the phone. Start flashing it with the first image file. When the flashing is completed, disconnect the phone and remove the battery, replace the battery and do a master reset by holding down the big round blue button while pressing the power button. The phone will start up and go to a screen with some garbage about “This is a ROM for use by engineers and other authorized personnel”, after that it will display a screen with “Mobile Operator”, it will stay on that screen for quite a while so don’t get impatient and think that it is not doing anything, finally it will display the device id together with an error message (it is VERY important that you wait for that screen to come up, if you interrupt the process before that screen comes up you may as well start over). Remove the battery, replace the battery and insert you SD card. Start the Mobile Upgrade Wizard and flash part 2 of the image files. When that is done, leave the phone connected and start the Mobile Upgrade Wizard again. Flash the phone with part 3 of the image files and when it has completed, disconnect the phone and remove the battery.

9. Replace the battery and do a master reset. Now the screen will have three options, scroll down to “clean reg hive” and chose Yes by pressing the blue button, scroll down to “format storage” and chose Yes again. Scroll down to “Done” and press the blue button. The screen will go white and stay that way for a while (how long depends on the size of you SD card). Wait until it is done and then have fun with WM 2005 on your MPx200.

I just attached two screen shots of one of our MPx200 phones with WM2005

This has worked fine for me on several upgrades but I do not guarantee in any way shape or form that they will work for you so if you screw up your phone you have nobody to blame but yourself.
Attached ImageAttached Image

This post has been edited by ardec1: Jan 28 2006, 06:21 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jan 26 2006, 06:10 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

Thanks for that guide. That is the exact process I used when upgrading, and it worked great for me.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
ardec1
post Jan 27 2006, 12:41 AM
Post #3

Gadget Junkie

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Jan 26 2006, 11:10 AM)
Thanks for that guide.  That is the exact process I used when upgrading, and it worked great for me.

This may appear to be a really stupid question.

We are all interested in the MPx200 and we are trying to help each other out with that particular model phone.

Why is it that we can't post the files, or links to the files, required to upgrade the phone to WM2005, or at least let the various people request the files by email on this board?

I am totally familiar with the distribution of ROM files and the restrictions regarding those same files, but the files in question are not restricted in any way, shape or form that I can find.

An example would be the files available on x-developers.com where files for the SX56-66 are readily available.

Just curious, no harm meant and not to question the authority of the people who run this board.

+Quote Post
DrBrains
post Jan 27 2006, 08:46 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 9,517
Phone: MPx200
Carrier: Other

I had to do a couple of re-installs because of some bugs in the WM5 roms.

Every once in a while it installs smooth; all the other times it continues to boot instead of turning of after the second reset. It "hangs" on a sim failure. What then?? Turning the phone of using the on/off switch (waiting long enough for the external display to switch off as well before turning the phone back on) doesn't work. The phone will not reboot.

Replacing the battery doesn't work either. I have to repeat the process until the phone turns itself off at the end of the second reset.

Any idea's how to prevent that??

+Quote Post
ardec1
post Jan 27 2006, 08:59 PM
Post #5

Gadget Junkie

QUOTE (DrBrains @ Jan 27 2006, 01:46 PM)
I had to do a couple of re-installs because of some bugs in the WM5 roms.

Every once in a while it installs smooth; all the other times it continues to boot instead of turning of after the second reset. It "hangs" on a sim failure. What then?? Turning the phone of using the on/off switch (waiting long enough for the external display to switch off as well before turning the phone back on) doesn't work. The phone will not reboot.

Replacing the battery doesn't work either. I have to repeat the process until the phone turns itself off at the end of the second reset.

Any idea's how to prevent that??

My first guess would be that there is something wrong with your image files.

I am not sure that I understand what you mean about the SIM failure, you don't put your SIM card back in the phone until after the whole upgrade/flashing process is completed.

You may also want to look at the topic under "Error Messages" in an earlier post where there are some mentionings about the SIM failure error.

+Quote Post
DrBrains
post Jan 27 2006, 09:09 PM
Post #6

If there where something wrong with my image files, then I wouldn't be able to install WM2005 at all. However as I said, the phone continues to boot Wm2005 during the second reset. At that point it doesn't find the sim-card (which isn't inserted). The error is the same as if you turn the phone on without the sim-card, or as in the other thread when the sim doesn't connect properly to the phone.

+Quote Post
ardec1
post Jan 27 2006, 09:24 PM
Post #7

Gadget Junkie

QUOTE (DrBrains @ Jan 27 2006, 02:09 PM)
If there where something wrong with my image files, then I wouldn't be able to install WM2005 at all. However as I said, the phone continues to boot Wm2005 during the second reset. At that point it doesn't find the sim-card (which isn't inserted). The error is the same as if you turn the phone on without the sim-card, or as in the other thread when the sim doesn't connect properly to the phone.

How many resets are you doing during the whole flashing/update process?

+Quote Post
DrBrains
post Jan 27 2006, 09:31 PM
Post #8

I'm doing two resets. As in the instructions, 1 after flashing image 1; the second reset after flashing image 2 plus 3.

Thing is, the second master-reset doesn't always work. If I do the reset directly after disconnecting from my laptop, it's fine all the time, but if I do a battery replacement in between, it will not.

Second thing I found out is, that if the SD card (or MCC for that mather) is not in my phone BEFORE I do the first reset, there is nothing on the SD card after flashing with the second and third image.

I will try changing my flash software back to the version you mentioned. I am using v1.8.5

This post has been edited by DrBrains: Jan 27 2006, 09:33 PM

+Quote Post
ardec1
post Jan 27 2006, 09:45 PM
Post #9

Gadget Junkie

QUOTE (DrBrains @ Jan 27 2006, 02:31 PM)
I'm doing two resets. As in the instructions, 1 after flashing image 1; the second reset after flashing image 2 plus 3.

Thing is, the second master-reset doesn't always work. If I do the reset directly after disconnecting from my laptop, it's fine all the time, but if I do a battery replacement in between, it will not.

Second thing I found out is, that if the SD card (or MCC for that mather) is not in my phone BEFORE I do the first reset, there is nothing on the SD card after flashing with the second and third image.

I will try changing my flash software back to the version you mentioned. I am using v1.8.5

Then there is something wrong with either your image files, your SD card (did you format it first?), or you phone itself.
You do NOT insert the SD card until after the first reset when you have clicked "Yes" on the format option and the phone has completed that operation.

+Quote Post
DrBrains
post Jan 27 2006, 10:00 PM
Post #10

I do let the phone (re)format the card on the second reset.

I still don't think its my image files. Otherwise why did it function a couple of days on my phone?? Just to be sure I tried downloading the image files form several sources. The files all have the same file-lenght, but some have a different creation date. Most come as "RAR" file, and the different sources have the same CRC32 so the images must be the same.

I'm trying flashing with v1.3 now

+Quote Post
ardec1
post Jan 27 2006, 11:14 PM
Post #11

Gadget Junkie

QUOTE (DrBrains @ Jan 27 2006, 03:00 PM)
I do let the phone (re)format the card on the second reset.

I still don't think its my image files. Otherwise why did it function a couple of days on my phone?? Just to be sure I tried downloading the image files form several sources. The files all have the same file-lenght, but some have a different creation date. Most come as "RAR" file, and the different sources have the same CRC32 so the images must be the same.

I'm trying flashing with v1.3 now

I have done several of these phones by now and never yet had a problem. (other than the Cingular connect issue which was my own fault).

Here is how I do it:

I format a regular speed 256 MB. Sandisk SD card in an MPx200 using Rescoe Explorer 2003 under WM2003, remove the card and the SIM and put them away.

I then flash the phone with the first image file using the Motorola Upgrade Wizard version described above. Disconnect the phone, remove the battery, install the battery and do a master reset, check the "Yes" option to format everything. When the master reset has completed (look at the process described above).

I remove the battery, put the battery back in and install the SD card, connect to the Mobile Upgrade Wizard and flash image 2, disconnect the phone and don't do anything when that is complete. Connect the phone to the Mobile Upgrade Wizard again and flash image 3.

When that is complete, disconnect the phone and remove the battery but leave the SD card in. Replace the battery and do a master reset and chose the options described above.

When that is complete, you are done. Put your SIM card back in and turn the phone on.

Some of the issues that I have heard about regarding the SIM card has been on phone that were unlocked by IMEI number instaed of by software, by using the dual SIM adapter or by the tabs broken off like what was posted in an earlier message about SIM errors.

+Quote Post
DrBrains
post Jan 28 2006, 10:05 AM
Post #12

I can try that. Format the SD-card in the phone under MPX200. Is there a difference in the "format" when formating the card using my card-reader in my pc??

But once I have used the card in my phone I should be oke?? I have 4 different cards: a cheap 256 MB SD-card from PEAK, a 256 MB Kingston which shouldn't work but I got it working once. A 256 MB MMC Kingmax and a 1 Gb SanDisk.

I would like to use the SanDisk. Mainly for the size, but also because SanDisk cards should work best.

BTW: version 1.3 doesn't make a difference.

+Quote Post
ardec1
post Jan 28 2006, 05:31 PM
Post #13

Gadget Junkie

QUOTE (DrBrains @ Jan 28 2006, 03:05 AM)
I can try that. Format the SD-card in the phone under MPX200. Is there a difference in the "format" when formating the card using my card-reader in my pc??

But once I have used the card in my phone I should be oke?? I have 4 different cards: a cheap 256 MB SD-card from PEAK, a 256 MB Kingston which shouldn't work but I got it working once. A 256 MB MMC Kingmax and a 1 Gb SanDisk.

I would like to use the SanDisk. Mainly for the size, but also because SanDisk cards should work best.

BTW: version 1.3 doesn't make a difference.

I don't believe it should make a difference where you format the card but being you have already had a lot of problems getting it to work, I would go with the safest way possible if I was you.
As to what card to use, I can only say with 100% certainty that a 256 MB. regular speed Sandisk SD card works.

+Quote Post
dpippel
post Jan 28 2006, 08:54 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 11,084

Ok everyone, I followed the instructions at the begining of this thread implicitly and the process of flashing my phone to WM 5 went precisely as described. HOWEVER, now my MPx200 will not boot up. When I turn the phone on it displays the "tree-lined lane" painting and never gets beyond that point. The backlight eventually times out, the screen goes dark, and the phone is completely unresponsive.

I've tried powering on after removing and replacing the battery, leaving the battery out for 30 minutes and then replacing it, powering on with the SIM card removed - no go. The phone appears to be dead, although it is displaying a very pretty painting that I can't see because the backlight is off. 8)

My SD card is a 256MB SanDisk by the way.

Any suggestions? H-E-L-P!!!

This post has been edited by dpippel: Jan 28 2006, 08:54 PM

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jan 28 2006, 09:18 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

How long are you letting it sit on the tree screen during the boot. I've had to leave it sitting there, even with the backlight turned off, for 10 or more minutes. I recommend just letting it sit on that screen for a while and seeing if it will eventually boot. If it doesn't, try performing the hard reset as directed in the last step of the guide.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
dpippel
post Jan 28 2006, 09:22 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Jan 28 2006, 05:18 PM)
How long are you letting it sit on the tree screen during the boot.  I've had to leave it sitting there, even with the backlight turned off, for 10 or more minutes.  I recommend just letting it sit on that screen for a while and seeing if it will eventually boot.  If it doesn't, try performing the hard reset as directed in the last step of the guide.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a shot.

+Quote Post
dpippel
post Jan 28 2006, 09:41 PM
Post #17

UPDATE: It finally booted up, but it took a full 18 minutes from the time I powered the phone on until I got the WM 5 home page. Is this normal? If so then it's certainly a deal-breaker for me and I'll have to go back to WM 2003. I can't wait 20 minutes for my phone to start up every time I power it on.

+Quote Post
ardec1
post Jan 28 2006, 09:53 PM
Post #18

Gadget Junkie

QUOTE (dpippel @ Jan 28 2006, 02:41 PM)
UPDATE: It finally booted up, but it took a full 18 minutes from the time I powered the phone on until I got the WM 5 home page. Is this normal? If so then it's certainly a deal-breaker for me and I'll have to go back to WM 2003. I can't wait 20 minutes for my phone to start up every time I power it on.

That normally only happens on the first boot.

After you get all of the settings adjusted (like the memeory hack in the registry), it boot about as fast as it did under 2003.

+Quote Post
XiSt3nCe
post Feb 3 2006, 05:14 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 10,873
Carrier: T-Mobile

Great guide, I was going to post one of thse myself. WM5 sure does make the MPx200 a more functional phone.

+Quote Post
Sancho
post Feb 5 2006, 02:07 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 11,137
Carrier: T-Mobile

Ok... I finally found 2 different WM5 images and I found one I heard had been tested. I FOLLOWED ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THIS GUIDE TO THE LETTER. I just wanted everybody to know that for sure so as to not waste time goin over things that had already been done.

1st image went well. 2nd and 3rd images went well. However, after I complete the 3rd image, and replace the battery I am having a problem with that master reset. I select for it to do the "Clean Reg Hive" and to "Format Storage" then hit done. The screen goes white and stayed there. The screen stayed white for well OVER 3 hours. I did not want to mess with it as I was instructed to not do so.

You said;
"The screen will go white and stay that way for a while (how long depends on the size of you SD card). Wait until it is done and then have fun with WM 2005 on your MPx200."

So I let it sit there and nothing. I walked away and came back to it once after this long wait and there was no display. It was like the battery had gone dead. And after being in constant use for over 3 hours I kind of figured that was what happened.

I thought that it was just taking a long time because I have a 1gig SanDisk SD card. Nobody has posted how long it has taken with a card that size. So, now I put the SIM back in and try to boot up and all I get is the Tree picture then the phone dies.

So, what do i do now??? this sucks!

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:38 AM