post Jun 4 2006, 07:07 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,206
Phone: Palm Treo
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC

phone sounds great....but u guys dont care about WiFi? I cant live without it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jun 4 2006, 01:41 PM
Post #22

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

Before I got a phone with EVDO, I would have thought wifi was extremely important. After getting a Samsung i730 with both wifi and EVDO, I realized I rarely ever use wifi if EVDO is an option. I used it on my Samsung probably once a month. Even when I was at home with wifi available, I'd use EVDO instead. It's much easier because it's part of the phone instead of connecting to an AP, it's almost as fast, and it uses less battery life. And if it is a must, the miniSD slot is external and SDIO, so a miniSD wifi card is supposed to work in it, pending functional drivers.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
abatis
post Jun 4 2006, 02:02 PM
Post #23

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 626
Phone: Samsung i760
Carrier: Verizon
Secondary Carrier: Sprint
PocketPC: Other

People may not realize it yet, but WiFi is on its way out in the convergent phone market. See the MGN Story for an example. WiFi consumes allot of power and the newer technologies are more efficient. Lack of WiFi is not a deal breaker on a phone for me anymore. As Smeg points out EVDO is plenty fast and I just never turn my phones WiFi on anymore. Have you noticed that the latest versions of ActiveSync don't support WiFi syncing?

When I am traveling through an airport now and it doesn't have free WiFi for my laptop I just tether with EVDO.WiFi still has a place in home and office networking. The point is that Motorola was not really giving up much for the EVDO network consumer when they left WiFi out of the Q. On the coming GSM version with slower carrier networks it may be an issue.

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN
MGN Making Your Windows Mobile Life Simpler

Main : Samsung i760 - Verizon

+Quote Post
billz89
post Jun 4 2006, 05:48 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 3,626

QUOTE (smeg36 @ May 31 2006, 05:47 PM) *
... I got all the initial setup, like sycning with the Exchange server and BT Activesync.

Okay, so how did you get the certificate installed on your phone? I've tried installing mine (self-signed) and I either get 1. Alert: Security permission was insufficient to update your device or 2. if I run VZW_SpAddCert.exe it says Alert: Unable to locate any certificate files. Please verify that they exist and try again.

I have my cer file in \storage. I'm getting a miniSD card today and putting the cer file on it to see if that squares things away.

Until this phone synch's with my Exchange server it is a very sleek dud.

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jun 4 2006, 08:13 PM
Post #25

Group Icon

I didn't have to install any certificates to sync with the Exchange server I use.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AlexY
post Jun 5 2006, 12:43 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 12,348

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Jun 2 2006, 09:41 PM) *
The OS is 5.1.70. The build is 14523.1.3.0.

So it's true - it's AKU 1.3 and it doesn't include direct push. What a shame sad.gif

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jun 5 2006, 01:15 AM
Post #27

Group Icon

That's my main complaint with the Q. AUTD works, but I definitely prefer AKU2 direct push. The update should be coming relatively soon though. Which makes me wonder why it wasn't included in the first place. I guess I'd rather have it now while they perfect the AKU2 update than wait another couple months while they do.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AlexY
post Jun 5 2006, 02:54 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 12,348

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Jun 5 2006, 01:15 AM) *
That's my main complaint with the Q. AUTD works, but I definitely prefer AKU2 direct push. The update should be coming relatively soon though. Which makes me wonder why it wasn't included in the first place. I guess I'd rather have it now while they perfect the AKU2 update than wait another couple months while they do.

Hmm... if AKU2 is not there, how the AUTD work?

-Alex

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jun 5 2006, 03:11 PM
Post #29

Group Icon

From earlier in the thread:

With AUTD, a SMS is sent to the device from the server when a new message arrives telling the device to go check the server for new messages. When it does, it downloads the new messages.

So your email still gets to the device within a few seconds of arriving on the server, but you have to have a SMS plan (with VZW I get 2000 free SMS a month for Exchange syncing).

--------------------

+Quote Post
cortez
post Jun 5 2006, 10:36 PM
Post #30

Mobile Gadget Idol

Member No.: 11
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC
PMC: Other

smeg - have you eperienced decent battery life? it seems as if the Q suffers the same "low-signal-drain-your-battery" problem similar to GSM phones... i started with a full battery at 8 am and by 3 pm, i was down to 25%. i was in an all day meeting where signal strength (as indicated on the phone) was 1 bar or no bar. other activity included 15 minutes of calls and about 75 emails. also, have you noticed that the phone appears to operate at a warmer temp with the extended battery.

EDIT: (6/5, 7:38 PM) right after i posted this message, i turned my phone off and left it off for 1 hour. i turned it back on and the power meter read 50%, so now i'm not sure what's going on! the phone's been on (not charging) for 2 hours and it's still at 50%.

--------------------
cortez

"...yes, i am a gadget freak!.."
HTC Trinity & Kaiser / AT&T
Black Q / Verizon

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jun 6 2006, 02:14 AM
Post #31

Group Icon

I've noticed very sporadic power meter info. It'll jump from 50% to completely full when I'm charging it. And it'll jump from almost full to 75% frequently as well when in use. Hopefully that's something that's fixed when they add AKU2. Other than the wacky meter, my battery life is surprisingly good. I used it today with the BT PC Remote app for 3 hours, about 15 minutes of phone calls, and about 5 minutes online, all the while it was automatically downloading my emails. By the end of the school day, 7 hours after being fully charged, with about 2 bars the majority of the time, I had 75% battery life left.

--------------------

+Quote Post
abatis
post Jun 6 2006, 03:26 AM
Post #32

Site Administrator
Group Icon

My Q arrived today. I will give it a full charge and a test. My initial impression is that is not the same build quality as the Samsung i730. To be honest, the phone feels pretty plastic (cheap). Setting it to to the Windows Default home screen resulted in a limited display even though I had nothing extra on it. Not all the info was displayed.

The only redeeming features I see so far is the thumb dial and size. Sorry, but I think this phone (the Q) is going back to Verizon. However, I will load some programs and test. Right now I am thinking my Voq is a better Smartphone due to the superior keypad.

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jun 6 2006, 03:33 AM
Post #33

Group Icon

That surprises me. Mine feels very solidly built. I have my own modified version of the VZW home screen that fits everything I want on the screen without having to do any scrolling. I'm still loving my Q as much as the day I got it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
manchee
post Jun 6 2006, 01:18 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 669
Phone: Motorola Q

The phone feels pretty solid to me. The scroll wheel is almost too stiff;)

The keys are nicely spaced apart and other than getting used to the navigation, it seems pretty sturdy.

Battery life has been less than spectacular. By the end of the day I am one bar and getting alerts.

Wireless Sync is working pretty good and I have no real complaints with it yet.

-Ryan

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jun 6 2006, 02:28 PM
Post #35

Group Icon

QUOTE (manchee @ Jun 6 2006, 09:18 AM) *
Battery life has been less than spectacular. By the end of the day I am one bar and getting alerts.

Wireless Sync is working pretty good and I have no real complaints with it yet.

Wireless Sync could be the cause of your poor battery life. Depending on what mode you use, it's been the culprit of poor battery life in past devices. I've never used Wireless Sync for more than a day, I use an Exchange server instead and my battery life is great. Much better than the Treo 700w even. I'm not sure if Wireless Sync causes the same battery drain on the Q as it has on past devices, but it's possible.

--------------------

+Quote Post
abatis
post Jun 7 2006, 12:38 AM
Post #36

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Regretfully I packaged up my Motorola Q tonight for shipment back to Verizon. Honestly, I was not ready to go back to a SmartPhone. It is just a personal preference for a PPC and the multiple input options plus Word and Excel. I hear Microsoft Office is coming for Smartphones so soon this will be a non-issue. I thought a few pieces like the battery cover where thin, but after using the phone this probably has no long term impact on durability.

However, after several days of testing I can say the Motorola Q is a very good Windows Mobile Smartphone. The best aspects in my opinion:
  1. A brilliant screen. The Q has the best screen of any device I have used.
  2. The thumb dial is an excellent feature. Travel around the screen is fast and easy with one hand.
  3. The phone is light and slim.
  4. Overall it has an ergonomic design.
If you are looking for a Smartphone with the great speed of Verizon EVDO - buy the Q.

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jun 7 2006, 01:38 AM
Post #37

Group Icon

Before I got the Q one of my biggest worries was that I couldn't make the move from PPC to Smartphone. I rarely ever used the Office apps other than Messaging, so I wasn't too worried about that part. What had deterred me from going with only a Smartphone up to this point was the lack of thumb board and EVDO. I originally started with PPCs, then got a Smartphone in addition to the PPC. Well, I found out with the Q that I really prefer the Smartphone OS. It's a little more limited in some regards, but for what I use it for (phone calls, Messaging, PIE, a few other random things) it seems to work so much better. I really like the true one-handed function of the Smartphone.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Undude
post Jun 7 2006, 04:01 AM
Post #38

Mobile Gadget Master
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,857
Phone: SMT5600
Carrier: Alltel

QUOTE (abatis @ Jun 4 2006, 10:02 AM) *
People may not realize it yet, but WiFi is on its way out in the convergent phone market. See the MGN Story for an example. WiFi consumes allot of power and the newer technologies are more efficient. Lack of WiFi is not a deal breaker on a phone for me anymore. As Smeg points out EVDO is plenty fast and I just never turn my phones WiFi on anymore. Have you noticed that the latest versions of ActiveSync don't support WiFi syncing?

When I am traveling through an airport now and it doesn't have free WiFi for my laptop I just tether with EVDO.WiFi still has a place in home and office networking. The point is that Motorola was not really giving up much for the EVDO network consumer when they left WiFi out of the Q. On the coming GSM version with slower carrier networks it may be an issue.

Just to comment on the "Wi-Fi is on the way out" thought: I'm not sure I would agree with that. Wi-Fi is free in many places, and EDVO is not - and that's important to remember. Also, I believe Wi-Fi chips are continuing to gain better efficiency characteristics and thus will require less and less power. Moores Law we all know; but Metcalfe's Law posits that the value of a network grows as the square of the number of users. Perhaps that ratio is a bit to generaous, but I think (despite all its issues) Wi-Fi is becoming a standard -- and free telephony is too appealing to be passed up.

--------------------
Hey! Want to Post? Have a Question?
Click here to Register and Join Mobile Gadget News

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Jun 7 2006, 06:05 AM
Post #39

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: Alltel

As I've mentioned before, I hardly use my phone as a phone so I have a "pay as you go" plan from Cingular. I have access to everything and only pay for what I use (granted it cost more per minute or kb, but costs waaaaaay less in the long run since I don't use it that much - though I've started using it more now that I have a SmartPhone!). Anyway, I'd love to be able to hop on to the wifi networks that I have access to at home, at work, on campus, etc. The prices Verizon and T-Mobile charge for their data plans are such a deterent for me to even begin to think about subscibing to them. Most of the time I don't even know what you all are talking about with all the abreviations (latest being EVDO?) I just know I'm not gonna spend $60-$80 for the service. I'm clearly not the target user. I could totally see myself using wifi though. I covet the StarTrek (flipper with updated Bluetooth, same screen size as MPx200, and sleek) and am disappointed it doesn't offer wifi. After reading a few things around here I thought wifi was history. Now, I'm back to being bummed it's not on the phone I think I want. sad.gif

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
Nidza
post Jun 7 2006, 08:20 AM
Post #40

Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 8,504
Phone: MPx220

It only lacks WiFi? Come on, how much free time do you have to surf with mobile? Even it has larger screen then smartphone, I don't think that surfing the web is joy as on home (1280x1024 is sometimes not enough).

Anyway, I like Q very much and envy you owners in the States. It seems that European version won't come until end of the year, and I am almost 100 percent sure that I will wait even several months more so the price gets to the reasonable level.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:00 PM