post Aug 15 2006, 11:46 PM
Post #1

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: Alltel

So, I got my new device (i-mate SP5m) about a week ago.

Let me preface this by saying I am on the 'pay-as-you-go" plan with Cingular 'cuz I just don't have a history of making a lot of phone calls. I've been a PAYG customer for years and it's worked well for me. My average monthly cell "bill" was in the neighborhood of $8. Then I got a SmartPhone and started using my phone for lots of other stuff besides making phone calls. But, internet access can get pretty expensive pretty fast. And, now that I had a 'phone' that could do these neat things...I wanted to use it!

I know for PPC users this isn't "new". And for all of you with your unlimited minutes/data plans it's not a big deal either. But, for ME, it's HUGE!!! I don't need a PPC and have been really happy with the SmartPhone platform. Also, I can't justify a huge monthly phone bill just so I can "play". I wanted to see if having wifi built into my phone was everything I thought it would be. I knew I had access to wifi networks at home, at work, at school etc. So, it seemed like a nice thing to be walking around with a device that could access all these networks...at no extra cost. It's not nice...it's FANTASTIC! On top of all the places I knew I'd have access, turns out there is free wifi all over the place.

Here's a website that helps you locate places in your area: http://www.wififreespot.com/

But, in addition to those places listed, I've found bunches of other places. I've found many businesses that I frequent make it available to customers. The gas station I go to is one example as are the sports arena, the Target store, the muffler shop (who knew?), the computer store (okay, that wasn't a TOTAL surprise), the mall. You get the picture. The list goes on and on. I can hop on to wifi just about anytime I want. The speed is great (of course) when compared to GPRS. I don't hesitate to click on a page for fear about how long will it take to download! Like Emiril says...Bam! There it is...on my phone just like that. I did the speed check and it was 1000-something! Used to be 30-35 on my MPx220 sad.gif . The first time I checked the wifi speed I chose a 200k file like I always have done and the site came back and told me to pick a bigger file 'cuz the speed was too fast to measure. laugh.gif

I don't think it is worthwhile to pay T-Mobile or ATT for their "hotspot" service. I guess it would give peace of mind to 'know' you could go to one of their places and be guaranteed a connection. But, around here at least (Southern California), it just is not difficult to find access. It seems to be just about everywhere!

Today, the latest fun thing I did, for the first time, was stream radio and listen to it via my BT headset while I ate lunch at my favorite cafe (a free hotspot). Cool. cool.gif

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
abatis
post Aug 16 2006, 12:10 AM
Post #2

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 626
Phone: Samsung i760
Carrier: Verizon
Secondary Carrier: Sprint
PocketPC: Other

A very nice strategy and congrats on the new device. You need to update your MGN profile. I like the airports like Tampa that offer free WiFi. I see my own city of Golden, CO offers a number of choice WiFi spots from your link. Keep on streaming - for free smile.gif

Wait until you get hooked on WiMAX - its coming.

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN
MGN Making Your Windows Mobile Life Simpler

Main : Samsung i760 - Verizon

+Quote Post
Sonix
post Aug 16 2006, 12:43 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,654

Ever think of trying Skype or any other VoIP(like Yahoo or Google Talk) to make calls and free SMS's(IM's)while in a WiFi area? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Aug 16 2006, 01:30 AM
Post #4

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Thanks Abatis for reminding me to update my profile. I updated my signature, but forgot about the other. BTW...I streamed pretty much the rest of the day back at the office! Using my BT headset...no wires...no problem moving around...no bothering anyone else with my tunes...didn't miss any phone calls...how did I ever survive before all this???? rolleyes.gif

I've read a bit regarding Skype etc...and it is interesting. I've got so much other stuff to try with this phone I haven't done anything more than read the Skype info and make a mental note to return to it some day. If I could just get my homescreen the way I'd like, I could move on to other more fun stuff! laugh.gif unsure.gif

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Aug 16 2006, 01:38 AM
Post #5

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

hmmm....just went to fix my profile and my phone isn't an option in the drop down box so I'm stuck with the plain brown paper wrapped "other". So not right for such a cool phone! It's a Tornado - similar to a Hurricane (which was a choice...but not completely accurate sad.gif ).

--------------------

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Aug 16 2006, 07:22 AM
Post #6

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Well, someone fixed it for me. Or, was I blind and just missed it? Either way...thanks!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:28 AM