Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Exchange 2003 and VoqMail Pro question
gregger
post Oct 28 2004, 11:19 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 863

Hi there,
So I've almost decided to go the Voq route from my MPx200. I can't wait for the MPx300 (if it ever shows up), and the 220 doesn't really appeal to me.

On my MPx200, I have been really enjoying ActiveSync via GPRS, but lamenting its battery usage. We use Exchange 2003 and have both the https:// access and Mobile Information Server working.

VoqMail sounds interesting, but what I couldn't tell was:
* Does it correctly sync my calendar appointments (i.e., I accept an invite from my Inbox, does it appear on my calendar in both places)?

* If I delete or read an email on my Voq, will Voq mail delete or "mark as read" the mail in my server inbox?

Of course ActiveSync does this for me, but costs more and is slower.

I ask this because I look at the Blackberry users we have and lust after their inbound email, but laugh when they have to re-read all their inbox messages or re-delete everything they have read on the Blackberry or have to log into that stupid Web mail site to clear out their inbox in order to receive more messages (we don't have the Enterprise Server for Blackberry).

Also, our IT staff won't install extra crap to support the Voq, so ActiveSync may be my only route.

Thanks,
TTFN
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gregger
post Nov 8 2004, 04:41 PM
Post #2

So nobody is using the Voq Mail with Exchange 2003?

+Quote Post
abatis
post Nov 8 2004, 05:42 PM
Post #3

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 626
Phone: Samsung i760
Carrier: Verizon
Secondary Carrier: Sprint
PocketPC: Other

I would contact Voq tech support directly - they are very good. I am not using the exchange server as we do not have the 2003 version.

Also:

http://mycusthelp.com/Voq/supportfaq.asp?sSessionID=

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN
MGN Making Your Windows Mobile Life Simpler

Main : Samsung i760 - Verizon

+Quote Post
KingDaddy
post Nov 8 2004, 06:07 PM
Post #4

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 188
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

Send me a Voq and I'll look into it. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lambrettas: 1974 Jet 200

Vespas: 1987 PK50XLS Plurimatic, 2001 ET4 150

Clearance: Interim Top Secret

+Quote Post
gregger
post Nov 9 2004, 01:53 AM
Post #5

No way... I fell for that last time! :shock:

+Quote Post
SatanX
post Nov 9 2004, 09:03 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 5,106

VoqMail sounds interesting, but what I couldn't tell was:
* Does it correctly sync my calendar appointments (i.e., I accept an invite from my Inbox, does it appear on my calendar in both places)?
Can't say with 100% certianty, but I believe so.

* If I delete or read an email on my Voq, will Voq mail delete or "mark as read" the mail in my server inbox?

Yes it will. I know for a fact.

+Quote Post
gregger
post Nov 10 2004, 03:19 AM
Post #7

That would be great news. I want the Blackberry-like email sync, but all the features I expect from a full ActiveSync (well, maybe not Notes, but at least Calendar and Email).

And there's no server component?

I have an email into Voq and will try to follow up with a call to them.
Thanks,
TTFN

+Quote Post
richinlaf
post Nov 10 2004, 08:56 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 3,858

OK,

Here goes:

Yes, it does mark mail as read, or deleted on the Exchange server as well.
This is definitely an improvement on the blackberry mail system..

Appointments:

You can click on 'accept' on the phone, and it will add it to the calendar on your phone. However, the person that sent the request will not get an answer from you and it will not go on your calendar in Exchange UNTIL you log in to exchange (via outlook, webmail, etc..) and go to the VoqMail Sync folder that is created and accept the appointments again. I wish this was done automatically. (If you can't see the folder, you have to click on folder view.. It appears between Tasks and Search Folders at the bottom of the folder list.)

Also, VoqMail ONLY recieves your INBOX. I had to turn off all of my InterOffice Rules to allow that mail to stay in my inbox so that I could recieve it on the phone. I was using ActiveSync, which let me have all of my folders, BUT the battery was killed DAILY with this method. Today is my first day trying VoqMail, and so far, I like it.

+Quote Post
gregger
post Nov 10 2004, 09:23 PM
Post #9

OK, that's very interesting news. Is battery life OK apart from ActiveSync? My MPx200 dies a pretty quick death from ActiveSync'ing as well. But I think the battery has also seen better days (about 1 year old now with heavy GPRS usage).

The appointment issue is interesting. I could get used to that workflow. Can an automated server rule be set on Exchange that would allow you to accept all invitations that appear in that folder? I guess if you cancel a meeting instead of accept one Exchange wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Also: what kind of access is VoqMail using to get you your mail? POP3? IMAP? VPN? Something else?

######## Edit ###########
I just talked to support for a few minutes. They're very nice. They are sending me a manual to look at about VoqMail Pro.

VoqMail talks over IMAP. Our IT department doesn't like that.
VoqMail Pro can talk over a VPN. We have a Cisco VPN. VoqMail Pro can communicate over two kinds of Cisco VPN's, a 3500 series and a "Unified" VPN. IT would need to set up an access policy for the phone to work.

I'm supposed to get a bit more information. After it gets through the VPN, I'm not sure if VoqMail Pro still uses IMAP or not. It's odd that IMAP only sync's the root folder. I thought that the advantage of IMAP over POP3 was that IMAP could sync subfolders.

They said that the only way to sync contacts and existing calendar appointments is via ActiveSync. However, they are going to test accepting a meeting from Exchange 2003 over VoqMail Pro to see what happens.

They thought that the reply did end up in an Exchange folder, not put on the central calendar or sent back to the meeting organizer, but they wanted to verify it for sure. This sort of makes sense because the meeting notice isn't like a regular email and it performs additional actions besides just delivering a confirmation to the meeting organizer.

##################

Thanks so much! I will still follow up with their support, but this information is great!
TTFN

+Quote Post
richinlaf
post Nov 10 2004, 10:13 PM
Post #10

VoqMail is using IMAP, but there is nowhere to select any other folders besides the Inbox.

I will have to let you know tomorrow about battery life, as I just started using VoqMail this afternoon after getting frustrated with the battery life using ActiveSync. The battery was barely lasting all day using ActiveSync..

+Quote Post
richinlaf
post Nov 10 2004, 10:16 PM
Post #11

Let me look at how the appointments work a little further. If it only puts it in the VoqMail Sync folder AFTER I accept, I could probably get a rule to automatically accept it, and let people know that if they get no response, it means I declined... lol

+Quote Post
richinlaf
post Nov 11 2004, 09:02 PM
Post #12

OK, I think I can do an assesment on battery life..

I have VoqMailPro set to check my mail every 5 minutes. I have used the phone for approximately 1 and 1/2 hours for voice today, and have used internet explorer for IAdminMobile for about 30 minutes.

I unplugged from the charger 7 and 1/2 hours ago and currently have 54% of the battery left. On a similar day, with ActiveSync set to check my mail every 30 minutes, I would have had approximately 20% of the battery left.

I am in deperate need of a cradle and car charger. I use my phone a LOT and setting it to check mail at a larger interval may help, but there may be times when I won't have a charger availably for over a day at a time.

The battery life is acceptable, but could be better. I also wonder what it would be like if it was actually charged all the way to 100%. It only gets to 98% or 99% most of the time before it stops charging,

I should also have a brand new phone in my hands shortly. I got an RMA on this one due to random lockups where none of the buttons (power included) would do anything. The screen would stay dim, and I couldn't make calls, check mail, etc... They guy I spoke to informed me that this was a known issue. He said he would go ahead and send a new phone since they aren't all doing that, but that it would probably be fixed by a software download before the end of the year.

+Quote Post
abatis
post Nov 11 2004, 11:03 PM
Post #13

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 626
Phone: Samsung i760
Carrier: Verizon
Secondary Carrier: Sprint
PocketPC: Other

I use the cradle and keep it charged running ActiveSync in the office. It is really a nice setup. I don't know if you saw our review of the accessories kit.

http://www.mobilegadgetnews.org/modules.ph...owcontent&id=72

It is a good investment if you want to stay charged. I think they could have done USB charging like a Moto if they wanted to. The cradle charges right through the bottom port on the phone - thus USB charging and does not use the round charger port. I wish I had the wiring diagram for the bottom port.

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN
MGN Making Your Windows Mobile Life Simpler

Main : Samsung i760 - Verizon

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:51 PM