IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> GPS on Mpx200 .... we can make it work!
PaulK
post Sep 24 2004, 04:20 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,646

did a little digging today through the registry on my phone and found the drivers section... two things caught my eye. First thing was that BT drivers are already installed on our phones.. we need to find which chipset they are for and could possibly find the right SD BT card for it. Second, IrCOMM serial drivers are also installed for COM4. I would be willing to bet all that was needed is a serial to Ir adapter that uses and external power source and a null modem cable to your GPSs serial cable and Smartphone GPS software supporting GPS via serial. Lets do a little testing and finally make this work.. one more idea... has anyone run across a BT to IrDA bridge??
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tedya
post Sep 24 2004, 07:26 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,027

OK, why would you want GPS on this phone? It would suck up the already poor battery life. As an avid GPS user, this is the last device I would want GPS on. The screen is so small and the battery life insufficient. I already have to reset this phone at least once a week. I can't imagine what doing all this would cause this phone to do. Anyway, just my thoughts. If you want GPS, buy a Garmin. You can get a WAYYYY better GPS unit for a lot less money. Those BT GPS things are like $400 or so. You can buy a top of the line Garmin for around that, a little less even.

did a little digging today through the registry on my phone and found the drivers section... two things caught my eye. First thing was that BT drivers are already installed on our phones.. we need to find which chipset they are for and could possibly find the right SD BT card for it. Second, IrCOMM serial drivers are also installed for COM4. I would be willing to bet all that was needed is a serial to Ir adapter that uses and external power source and a null modem cable to your GPSs serial cable and Smartphone GPS software supporting GPS via serial. Lets do a little testing and finally make this work.. one more idea... has anyone run across a BT to IrDA bridge??

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Sep 24 2004, 09:47 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

If for no other reason, to say you did it. Function isn't the point, it is fun. I think it would be really cool and fun to get GPS working on the MPx200.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
tedya
post Sep 25 2004, 11:56 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 4,027

True, but with the right tools you could make it do practically anything.

+Quote Post
awarner
post Sep 26 2004, 09:51 AM
Post #5

MS-MVP / MoDaCo.com

Group: MGN Ultimate
Member No.: 1,721
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: T-Mobile
PocketPC: HTC

The screen is so small and the battery life insufficient.  I already have to reset this phone at least once a week

Battery is not bad but BT is another matter.
Regarding size of the screen I use TomTom Mobile on the E200
and the size is perfect.

--------------------
awarner Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices & Staff Team Leader modaco.com
SPV, E100, E200, C500, C550, C600 (MoDaCo Edition), MPX200, MPX220, Voq Pro, Mio 8380, JasJar, Vario

+Quote Post
micsey
post Oct 5 2004, 10:52 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 5,172

It'd be cool if you could get GPS and WiFi to work. This would make one heck of a little war-driving tool...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:13 AM