post Nov 14 2006, 01:35 AM
Post #1

Site Administrator

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,609
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: T-Mobile
PocketPC: HTC

There are a lot of GPS solutions out there. Software, hardware and accessories can be mixed and matched to meet just about every need to getting some direction in your life. But what products work well together? That can be a tough question when you are looking at images on a website from a vendor. So this is a list of the products I use and why, and some information on how well they work for me. Is this the ultimage GPS solution? Probably not for everyone, but it should give you enough information to put one together yourself centered on your Windows Mobile device.

When we talk about GPS solutions the first thing you have to have is a GPS antenna. There are many products to choose from including Holux, Garmin, Socket and Proporta just to name a few. They range in size from a pack of cigarettes to a matchbox, with power configurations including rechargeable batteries, user replaceable batteries and even solar recharged. What you get depends on what you need. I have tried several different GPS antennas and my person preference is the Holux GPSlim 236.

I like this GPS primarily for two things: its size and the inclusion of the SiRF III chipset which gives it super fast and accurate positioning. It is a rechargeable unit powered by a standard USB connector making it easy to find chargers for. You can find out more about the Holux GPSlim 263 by reading my review.

Next, you need a mobile device. As most of you know my current device is the powerhouse known as the HTC Wizard. My specific model is the T-Mobile MDA. This device includes bluetooth which is necessary to talk to the GPS antenna. There are a lot of devices that include bluetooth, so why this particular device? Good question. First, it is already my cellular phone and mobile email platform so I have it all the time. Second, look at the size of that screen!

Finally you need software. The software you choose will depend on a lot of things. Needs, wants, cost, platform version and other issues will direct you in one direction or another. There are several companies with products including Mapopolis, iNav, CoPilot Live and TomTom. Some companies even offer topographical solutions for those of you who choose to get lost in the woods. But for me the need is turn by turn navigation. Having read the reviews of current offerings and trying them out for myself I have settled on iGuidance 3.0 from iNav. If you want to know the specifics you can read my full review here.

So there you have it. That's the end, right? WRONG! You have to accessorize! There are a myriad of things you can add to the mix to improve the usability of your GPS solution. With mobile devices there is one thing that is always a concern: power. How do you power and possibly charge all your GPG goodness while on the road? you can carry 47 different chargers but that isn't really a mobile solution is it? You simply can not consider a power solution without looking at the Boxwave VersaCharger. This little device will get power from your car or any wall outlet in the world, all using your existing USB cable!

There are other portable power solutions but the Boxwave simply gives you the most in the least amount of space. If you don't have a place to plug in there are also portable recharger solutions like the Proporta USB Mobile Device Charger which is a rechargable battery, or the Boxwave Battery Extender which uses standard AA batteries to recharge your device.

How about a way to keep your device in front of you while you drive? Great idea! There are several companies that make devices to do just that including boxwave, Arkon and Proporta. I have settled on the Proporta Magnetic Vehicle Dock and the Proporta Aliminum Case. The unique setup allows the PDA to be affixed to the windshield, but easily removed to check an email, answer a call, or change navigational goals. The arm comes with a super strong magnet which goes inside the aluminum case to hold your device tightly, but allows for easy removal.

The suction on the Proporta Magnetic Vehicle Dock is incredibly secure. It is tightened by a lever which forces the suction cup to drap away from the glass giving a strong seal, but also allowing for easy removal when no longer needed. The aluminum case provides protection for the unit should you drop it while setting up or tearing down your GPS setup, but you have little to fear about the strength of the magnetic grip of the Dock arm.

There are thousands of combinations for a portable Windows Mobile GPS solution. Each one as different as the person who uses it. Hopefully this has shed some light on the possibilities for you and your device and will help you arrive at a GPS solution.

--------------------
Jim Cleek (Slacker)
Editor / Administrator
Mobile Gadget News

My Gadgets
iPhone 3GS
HTC TyTN II
HTC Wizard
HTC Touch Dual
Motorola MPX220
Motorola MPX200
HP Ipaq 5550
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 05:14 AM