> Locking the quick-launch shortcuts
swan
post Aug 14 2006, 12:48 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,914
Phone: MPx220
Carrier: T-Mobile

Hello fellow-MPx220ers! Question for you guys, I was wondering if it is possible to chose, and lock, the quick launch shortcuts that are on the homepage. Sorry if I'm nto wording this correctly, or even calling it by the right name, but you know the little list of icons that scroll through any recently opened documents/programs/etc that exists on the homepage? For whatever reason, I'll open up say WMP and it'll show up there for a bit, but I'll be damned if it doesn't simply disappear after opening up some other programs. Now I'd understand why as the list is populated by anything recently opened, but for whatever reason some other programs that I had opened before WMP would still be on the list but not the WMP itself. Seems like it happens for other examples as well, such as the task manager or file manager, any ideas?

But the short of it is that it'd be great if I could 'lock' that list so that it only includes what I would like, is this possible?

Again, thanks for the great resources on this website!

-swan
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Aug 15 2006, 09:13 AM
Post #2

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: Alltel

yes...do a Google search for RJShortcut and look at my post (#2) here: http://www.mobilegadgetnews.com/index.php?...amp;#entry53899

I posted what the xml code for mine looks like. It should give you a good place to start from.

Good luck!

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
swan
post Aug 15 2006, 02:19 PM
Post #3

Tiger, I <3 you and all the information you post on here. You're my MPx220 hero!

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Aug 15 2006, 06:16 PM
Post #4

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Not sure what "<3" means...but it must be good! laugh.gif Right? I'm glad you found the information useful.

I haven't quite figured out how to make the same thing work on my new device (i-mate SP5m) running wm5. I've got the static 5 icons I want by using RJShortcut like above. But, some of the icons are large and some are medium sized. I think it has to do with the QVGA screen resolution.

When I use a default homescreen built into the ROM it forces the medium sized icons to full size. But, when I use a homescreen I've made I can't force the size increase. RJShortcut will let you call out the icon size as "small" or "large". I've used the "large" setting, but am not getting it all the way across all the icons.

Anybody else experience this and know a fix?

Attached Image

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
swan
post Aug 18 2006, 06:51 PM
Post #5

Tilt your head to the right and look at it. "<3" cool.gif

So, I downloaded RJshortcut and installed it on my phone, but can't figure out how to use the stupid hting to save my life. Do I need to find another program to edit the actual .XML files, or for that reson, where is the actual file I want to manipulate? Gah, this is such a head ache.

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Aug 18 2006, 08:52 PM
Post #6

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

QUOTE (swan @ Aug 18 2006, 11:51 AM) *
Tilt your head to the right and look at it. "<3" cool.gif
O, I c. Got it! Thanks!

I edit XML files on my computer using notepad. When you're done editing, just be sure to save it with the .xml tag. It will do this by default, unless you are NOT careful when you give your new file a new name. So, be sure not to lose the .xml extension.

The original (rjshort.home.xml) is on your phone in the "home" folder. Copy that one to your computer for editing purposes. I found that homescreen not to be anything like what I wanted mine to look like. So, it was easier for me to edit an .xml file of a home screen I liked and just sub the RJShortcut for the MRU plugin. Check the link in my earlier post to see how you insert just the RJShortcut for the MRU part.

Bottom line...it's easier to start with a homescreen that you like but just want the static icons instead of the MRU. Open that file on your computer, sub out the MRU plugin for the RJShortcut (that points to the icons you want to see), save the new file, then transfer it back to your phone.

If you still are having problems, let me know what homescreen you're trying to modify and what static icons you want to see. I'd need to know where the programs are located on your phone. For instance, is it in your accessories folder? With that info, I think I could get you headed in the right direction.

Take two aspirin for the headache. You'll get this figured out soon. Once you see it, you'll need two more aspirin for when you smack yourself on the forehead wondering how come you didn't get it earlier! laugh.gif Or, was that just me? rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MOOKI
post Oct 29 2008, 04:04 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 16,462

QUOTE (runningtiger @ Aug 15 2006, 10:13 AM) *
yes...do a Google search for RJShortcut and look at my post (#2) here: http://www.mobilegadgetnews.com/index.php?...amp;#entry53899

I posted what the xml code for mine looks like. It should give you a good place to start from.

Good luck!

Hi ,I had a similar question , and your code was very helpful smile.gif it actually works, thanks for sharing!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:04 PM