Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 626
Phone: Samsung i760
Carrier: Verizon
Secondary Carrier: Sprint
PocketPC: Other

I have spent the last two weeks as a new user of the Samsung I730 PPC/Phone on Verizon.

Form Factor: I really like the size, fit and finish of the phone. It fits my hand well (medium sized hands). The slider for the pull out keypad has a nice crisp feel when it pulls out and the keypad is accepteable for phone message use.

Buttons. The button layout is decent with several exceptions. The default voice command button is on the upper left side of the phone, just about the volume controls. I kept activating the Voice Command feature when I pulled the phone off the charging cradle and while trying to adjust the volume. I reset this button to "None" in the system control "Buttons" menu. I use the Voice Command so I moved the button function to the left key on the front key pad.

The front fourway controller (up, down,left, right) works fine but is a little more recessed than I prefer.

Screen: The screen quality is excellent, very bright but not washed out. The screen is smaller than a regular PPC but much better for me than a smartphone sized screen.

Network: The Verizon network has excellent covereage. I was down in New Orleans last week and my phone worked fine in most areas. I had great covereage driving from Houston to New Orleans as well. Some of our people have Cingular phones and their phones are not working as well in the Hurricane area.

I really like the EVDO network. The speeds are great compared to GPRS. Web page load times feel very similar to a dsl connection. A screen shot for a speed test is provided below.

Tethering: PC tethering works fine if you want to use your phone as a data modem and have the $30/month unlimited data package.

Software addons.

Copilot Live 5.0 and my BT GPS system work great.

Intellidialer works fine. This program will select numbers based on keypad input by spelling part of a persons name.

Spb Pocket plus works fine.

I am recommend the screen protector from Pocket PC Tech.

Overall I am very pleased with the phone.

___________Speed Test____________IntelliDialer_______________SpbPocketPlus
Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN
MGN Making Your Windows Mobile Life Simpler

Main : Samsung i760 - Verizon
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Sep 28 2005, 09:49 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

I have had the i730 for six weeks now, and can whole-heartedly say I LOVE it. I have done similar speed test, with one result reaching 968kbps! Take that GPRS, EDGE, and even UMTS. EVDO is just amazing. I have only turned on the wifi a few times since I got it because the EVDO is about as fast as most wifi connections. I absolutely love the keyboard. It slides away when not in use, and is excellent for typing. My WPM, while I haven't actually timed it, is probably in the 20-30 range. In fact, I wrote all this using the i730 on EVDO in Miami Beach..

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
Hulkster
post Sep 29 2005, 01:45 AM
Post #3

Gadget Junkie

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,004

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Sep 28 2005, 04:49 PM)
I have had the i730 for six weeks now, and can whole-heartedly say I LOVE it.  I have done similar speed test, with one result reaching 968kbps!  Take that GPRS, EDGE, and even UMTS.  EVDO is just amazing.  I have only turned on the wifi a few times since I got it because the EVDO is about as fast as most wifi connections.  I absolutely love the keyboard.  It slides away when not in use, and is excellent for typing.  My WPM, while I haven't actually timed it, is probably in the 20-30 range.  In fact, I wrote all this using the i730 on EVDO in Miami Beach..

Hows the speakers on the phone? Are they nice and loud? Any Bass or such?
Are they better then the old mpx200 speaker sound?

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Sep 29 2005, 04:26 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

The speakers are very good. I would go so far as to say the best on any mobile device I have ever used. They are actually stereo with two speakers on the unit, and it uses the SRS WOW technology to enhance the stereo sound. Speaker phone is very loud. So loud that I never use it at full volume because it is to loud even for speaker phone.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
abatis
post Sep 30 2005, 08:02 PM
Post #5

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 626
Phone: Samsung i760
Carrier: Verizon
Secondary Carrier: Sprint
PocketPC: Other

I have had several questions regarding which version of intellidialer I used and to post some additional screenshot of the dialer without the dropdown engaged.

Version: I used SmartDialing_WWE_RC11.CAB. I have posted the some of the program files it added to my Windows folder on the phone. Indialer_sim is just a bmp file.
Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN
MGN Making Your Windows Mobile Life Simpler

Main : Samsung i760 - Verizon

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:28 PM