IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> MPx220 "earpiece volume" too low?, Check your "call volume" level.
runningtiger
post Apr 25 2006, 07:40 PM
Post #1

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: Alltel

I've posted a few times about low "earpiece volume" and I've found out the problem - at least my problem. I'm a dummy. rolleyes.gif It's simple, but I've missed it all this time. Before making a call, I'd make certain to press the volume key "up" several times to make sure the "earpiece volume" was maxed out and when the volume was still too low I'd switch it over to speakerphone so I could hear the person on the other end of my call. In which case I'd usually then have to lower the volume 'cuz the speakerphone is VERY loud. I usually use a headset of one type (wired-stereo) or another (Bluetooth) and the volume just isn't an issue at all this way. It is so loud through a headset that I usually have the volume almost set to it's lowest. Turns out that was part of my "problem".

Last night, I went to make a call and didn't have any headset so I did my regular routine of upping the volume to max BUT the call was already in progress (ringing on the other end). I happened to take the phone away from the side of my face while I did this and saw the screen say "call volume". It was on like 2 and I upped it all the way to 5. There are no numbers, I'm just referring to button pushes. (If the phone is on it's lowest volume, it takes 5 pushes of the volume up button to reach it's highest volume.) Voila! With "call volume" all the way up it's actually like a lower speakerphone setting. Meaning speakerphone won't let you turn the volume down to nothing. So, even at it's lowest, it's kind of loud - as a speakerphone should be. With the "call volume" all the way up, the phone can sit on my desktop a couple feet away from my ear and I can still hear the voice on the other end - in a quiet room it is loud enough to function as a speakerphone. It's quite loud when actually held up to my ear.

Once again, I'm feeling like a half-wit. I realize now what I was doing. I thought I'd turned the volume all the way up before making the call. So, when it wasn't loud enough I switched to the speakerphone which was then too loud and I'd turn the volume down to 1 or 2 - which was actually lowering the "call volume" level. So, my "call volume" level was really always on about 1 or 2 - which is why I couldn't hear well in noisy situations. Duh. Where's the smiley for embarrassed? Also, with a wired headset the volume only needs to be at 1 or 2, so inadvertently I always had my "call volume" set to it's lowest or next to lowest setting. With my Bluetooth headset, the volume button on the phone has no effect. It can be on it's highest or lowest and the volume through the BT is the same. It only changes using the volume switch on the headset itself.

Anyway, just thought I'd post about this in case anyone else out there is making the same mistake I've been making - thinking all along that if you've upped the "earpiece volume" to max that the "call volume" is maxed out when in reality it's two different settings.

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PopTart629
post Jan 6 2007, 01:19 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,684
Phone: MPx200
Carrier: T-Mobile
PocketPC: HP iPAQ
MP3 Player: Other

Hi I was just reading thru the posts and came across this one.

I recently bought a MPX220 from ebay. bought it for parts mostly, but the auction was marked "Earpiece not working." When I inquired further it was explained to me that incomming nor outgoing calls could be heard thru the earpiece. Do you think the problem you've posted about could apply here?

Thanks,

PopTart629

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jan 6 2007, 02:05 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

There's certainly a chance the volume could just be turned all the way down, but I really doubt it. In this case is probably a loose wire, blown speaker, or some other similar problem.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
PopTart629
post Jan 6 2007, 08:12 AM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,684
Phone: MPx200
Carrier: T-Mobile
PocketPC: HP iPAQ
MP3 Player: Other

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Jan 6 2007, 02:05 AM) *
There's certainly a chance the volume could just be turned all the way down, but I really doubt it. In this case is probably a loose wire, blown speaker, or some other similar problem.

I'm grateful for the response.....

I was thinking about those things as well then another occured to me. what if the headphone jack is broken in such a way that the phone still thinks theres an earbud in place. I work on PCs & laptops for a living and have seen a similar thing where people have had headphones pluged in to their laptops, remove them and then have no external sound. Could this be the case here?

Also, if the speaker was blown wouldnt make some kind of crackeling sound? If the speaker does need replaced, does anyone know where I can get one. Ive done a lil searching on the net but havent had much luck

and this might be a lil off topic, but does anyone know where t get an exploded parts view so I cansee inside and how see how it goes together

Again thanks for all the help. this site is a great resource for people looking to get help with their phones.

Michael

This post has been edited by PopTart629: Jan 6 2007, 08:18 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:46 PM