Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Seeking screen/button-lock solution for iPAQ 6315
6315_user
post Oct 3 2005, 02:46 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,365

I’ve been using my iPAQ regularly for about a year now. I use a Motorola HS810 Bluetooth hands-free(I know, it’s an older model, purchased in Sep. 2004 with my iPAQ) with it for convenient hands-free calls and audio monitoring. However, I’ve realized that there is a significant inconvenience in the fact that I cannot put my iPAQ back in the belt-carry case (pants-pocket, etc.) while I am using it for a phone call or listening to audio. Why? - because of the high likelihood that the screen or a button may be pressed (activated, etc.), which could have consequences ranging from hanging up my call, making an unintended call, or unintentionally causing another function to start or stop (you know). So, I am typically limited to having to either hold the iPAQ in my hand or place in it in my shirt pocket while in use to avoid this problem (which is of course inconvenient, uncomfortable, and poses a high-risk for dropping). Therefore, I am seeking a solution (most likely software) that allows me to lock the screen and key operation of my iPAQ while it is in operation (e.g., during a call, running program, etc.) and requires some screen-key or button sequence to unlock the unit (i.e., a sequence that is unlikely to occur accidentally while the unit is in the carry case, pants-pocket, etc.).

I did a search on the Handago and Pocketgear websites and thought that ScreenLock for Pocket PC (see http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=14621) looked like a close fit to the solution I was seeking, but as discussed in my next post, I have not been able to evaluate the software because I haven’t figured out how to load it (see post entitled “How do you load a .cab file to iPAQ h6315?” for more details) - also, it is not clear from the product details whether it is compatible with a 6315.

So, I welcome any suggestions/recommendations for a screen/button-lock solution with some or all of the features discussed above.

Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
armwood
post Jan 1 2006, 12:28 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,569
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: T-Mobile
PocketPC: HTC
PMC: Creative Zen

I use MortSaver 2.0 on my iPaq 6315. I have used it for about a year and it works very well. The program is freeware. You may download it from Pocketgear.com at:

http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=14321

Copy the cab file to your iPaq using activie sync. Just click on the explorer button in active sync. Click on the PPC icon and place the file in any directory you choose. Then go to your Pocket PC (PPC) and open your file explorer. Navigate to the directory where you placed the cab file and tap on it with your stylus. It will automatically install. Then go to the program menu on your PPC and launch Mort Saver.

Application Description
Note: The download contains two files. MortSaverPE-2.0.exe is for Phone Edition devices, MortSaver-2.0.exe for all other devices. Both are setups for your desktop PC.

MortSaver is a combination of screensaver, keylock, and a "stay off!" function.
Screensaver
: The display's turned off, but the PPC keeps running (e.g. for audio players). In spite to other tools, MortSaver turns off the dispay again if it's been switched on by e.g. an alert or the on/off button.
Keylock: All buttons (except the one necessary for deactivation, of course) are locked, as far as it's possible to me. A few programs sadly use some undocumented tricks, which allows them to get the button presses even if they're assigned to MortSaver in the system, or set themselfes as topmost window, by which the direction pad keys will be sent to this window. Disabling MortSaver can be done either with one button or a sequence of two buttons.
"Stay off!": PocketPCs are often switched on by themselves or accidentally - by alerts (appointments, SMS, ...) or accidental button presses in your pocket. In those cases, MortSaver can turn off the device again after a selectable timespan (so you recognize MortSaver's active and the device alive).

After power on or system-caused disabling of the screensaver, MortSaver shows a countdown until the screen or device (depending on settings, also see instructions), the button(s) to deactivate it, the time, battery level, a user definable text (e.g. owner infos), and on Phone Edition devices also signal strength and hints about missed calls and SMS.

MortSaver is Freeware, i.e., you can use it without paying.
Modifications are not allowed.
If you think it's useful, a small (or big ) donation would be gracefully accepted, of course...

This post has been edited by armwood: Jan 1 2006, 12:40 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:34 AM