post May 1 2006, 03:41 AM
Post #1

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,736
Phone: Cingular 8125
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: Other

so, as per previous posts, I finally got a root certificate installed (thanks bob) and got my phone syncing to Exchange Server with Activesync. It works fine when connected to my PC... works fine over WiFi at home... works okay WHEN i have already established a GPRS connections (such as opening Internet Explorer...

BUT... It won't sync on it's own over GPRS either manually or automatically over GPRS unless I initiate a connection with another program such as IE. It seems that Activesync won't initiate a GPRS connection?? Any ideas? I can't find any settings for this in Activesync. I have set to manual sync now, as I'm on a limited MediaNet plan, but It won't open with connections when I hit sync... just sits there and says looking for changes (but I never get an indication that the GPRS connections is open, and it never syncs).

If I have an active connection with IE or similar then it works quickly and fine. Thanks guys.

FM

--------------------
Franman
Westchester, NY
My Gadgets:
Cingular 8125 PPC, 1G MiniSD, Jabra BT500.
Jabra SP5050 Bt Speaker Phone
Backups:
SMT 5600 (unlocked) 512 MiniSD
MPX-200
Ipaq 3975 with Ivie IE-33 RTA
and Navman SE GPS Sleeve.
iPod Nano 4G
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
omega2008
post May 3 2006, 07:40 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 7,026
Phone: Cingular 8525

This a bug that I encounterd myself, for some reason the GPRS connection would not stay connected all the time, like its supposted to. There is a registry edit (and I don't rember it) but it disables the GPRS auto disconnect feature, that way once a connection is established the connection stays active (that doesn't mean your using data, it means that you stay connected). Once I got that fixed I didn't have that problem.

--------------------
Support the Windows Mobile Community! Become a Subscriber

+Quote Post
jaward
post May 3 2006, 07:52 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,206
Phone: Palm Treo
PocketPC: HTC

i want to do this too. but my work's exchange server is on corporate LAN...so i have to VPN first to get to it.

I can do this via WIFI at home. but i thought i remember someone saying that VPN(PPTP) over GPRS doesn't work for cingular/ATT and that the IPSEC must be used.

any thoughts?

+Quote Post
franman
post May 3 2006, 07:59 PM
Post #4

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

I'm just trying to figure out why Internet Explorer or Agile Messenger WILL initiate a GPRS connection but Activesyn WON'T.... If there's a registry change for this, that would be sweet, although I don't have any means of editing the registry on the phone?? I guess that's another question, eh?

--------------------
Franman
Westchester, NY
My Gadgets:
Backups:
MPX-200
iPod Nano 4G

+Quote Post
brobinson
post May 9 2006, 01:15 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 6,301
Phone: Cingular Blackjack
Carrier: Alltel
PocketPC: Dell

QUOTE (franman @ May 3 2006, 07:59 PM) *
I don't have any means of editing the registry on the phone?? I guess that's another question, eh?

PHM Registry Editor is free and works on the 8125.

+Quote Post
franman
post May 10 2006, 01:48 AM
Post #6

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

Thanks for the tip on PHM..... is there a registry edit to enable this automatic GPRS connection for Activesync?? So that I can sync my email without having to start IW first?? anyone know??

--------------------
Franman
Westchester, NY
My Gadgets:
Backups:
MPX-200
iPod Nano 4G

+Quote Post
smeg36
post May 10 2006, 02:07 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

This must be something either phone specific or carrier related. Every single WM device I've ever used, including those connecting to GPRS, will initiate a data connection to sync with an Exchange server. Omega has an 8125 with Cingular, and is using an Exchange server. I think his is working without issue, but I can't say for sure. Have you tried making a backup and hard resetting to see if it is some software issue with your current configuration?

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
omega2008
post May 13 2006, 01:53 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 7,026
Phone: Cingular 8525

Exchange works great, it pulls from the server without a problem. The data connection is always connected, but not active. It goes on stand by when you make a phone call then its back to being inactive when your done. It wakes up when you use IE or check mail or any other programing requesting a data connection is used.

--------------------
Support the Windows Mobile Community! Become a Subscriber

+Quote Post
franman
post May 13 2006, 04:01 PM
Post #9

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

Yes, I have found that if I send/receive mail from Outlook mail on the 8125, that this works fine. This is how I'm getting around the activesync issue... It's really the mail that I need to sync on the road anyway.

Interesting that with Pocket Weather I have the same issue with GPRS> I have to initiate the connection with Explorer, Messenger or some other application before it will update.. Now, I have it set to "Manual" update to limit the data usage (until I upgrade the plan this week)... but if I manually select update, it won't connect unless I am already connected... just like Activesync... anyway... the email is working fine with send/receive... I might will set that to automatically send/recieve after I upgrade to unlimited medianet this week.. Trying to think of a way to do this cheaper that 39.95 a month for "PDA unlimited" plan... Cingular doesn't know I have an 8125 as I bought it on ebay... I'm gonna talk to them on Monday and see what we can work out for my plan..

Thanks guys..

ps> Smeg, no I haven't tried a hard reset... Really don' t have the time right now to redo everything... and if it is a conflict and backup (which I have) would restore everything to where it is now, right?? anyway.. I'll keep you all advised.

--------------------
Franman
Westchester, NY
My Gadgets:
Backups:
MPX-200
iPod Nano 4G

+Quote Post
smeg36
post May 13 2006, 08:19 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

I always keep a current Sprite Backup made. Then when I encounter a problem I can hard reset and see if it is something hardware or network related, or from my software. If it is a problem hardware or network related, I can restore and wait until the carrier fixed the problem. If it's software I can restore and try to figure it out. If I can't figure it out, I'll hard reset and go through the 2 hour process of setting it all up from scratch. Using Sprite does restore the phone 100% to it's state at the time the backup was made.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
franman
post May 14 2006, 11:58 PM
Post #11

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

okay, I figured out what I had set wrong for Pocketweather.. I had unchecked a lot of comm stuff to make sure it wouldn't keep connecting while I am still on a limited data plan (few more days)... I had unchecked the "Force a Connect when not available" option under COMM... even if I had turned off all auto update settings, this box would disable the program from initiating a connection... so, now this is working.

With Send/Recieve working fine from Outlook, I guess I'm really okay. I still wonder why Activesync won't "force a connection" to GPRS... whatever. The stuff I need is working and as of Tuesday's new billing cycle I hope to be on an unlimited data plan, syncing, emailing, updating weather, etc... to my heart's content!!

--------------------
Franman
Westchester, NY
My Gadgets:
Backups:
MPX-200
iPod Nano 4G

+Quote Post
jaward
post Mar 2 2007, 10:41 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,206
Phone: Palm Treo
PocketPC: HTC

ok.i am gonna try again....will the Microsoft VPN on my Cingular 8125 work over GPRS? It works great over my home wifi connection, but i can't get the VPN to get me on my corporate LAN. I recall someone talking of a NAT issue.

has anyone been able to get this to work?

+Quote Post
franman
post Mar 22 2007, 02:27 AM
Post #13

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

QUOTE (jaward @ Mar 2 2007, 06:41 PM) *
ok.i am gonna try again....will the Microsoft VPN on my Cingular 8125 work over GPRS? It works great over my home wifi connection, but i can't get the VPN to get me on my corporate LAN. I recall someone talking of a NAT issue.

has anyone been able to get this to work?

I have not tried any VPN connections from the 8125.. but I'm golden with activesync to my exchange server... now, my only issue if that a wired connection to activesyn doesn't work on my desktop machine, but I'm over it... I just charge at my desk and I sync up as soon as I unplug....

--------------------
Franman
Westchester, NY
My Gadgets:
Backups:
MPX-200
iPod Nano 4G

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:18 PM