post Dec 26 2006, 03:53 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,273
Phone: Cingular 8525
Carrier: Alltel
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: Other

I am wondering if anyone has located an adaptor / 3rd party earphone or mod that can be used with the Dash.

I find the earphones supplied with the dash uncomfortable and prefer the in-ear buds.

I found one seller of mini USB to 3.5mm adaptors on Ebay but his site stated that he had heard this adaptor did not work with the Dash (HTC mini USB)

Apart from cutting the earplugs off and re-fixing ones I like I am without any ideas.

Anyone have a fix?

Thank you
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Dec 27 2006, 07:36 AM
Post #2

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard

I haven't seen anything yet for the proprietary HTC mini-USB (as opposed to standard mini-USB). In the meantime, there are BT headsets as well as BT adapters that allow use of standard headphones. For an example of that kind, check here:
http://www.mobilegadgetnews.com/index.php?...ost&p=53435

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Dec 27 2006, 07:29 PM
Post #3

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Just ran across this:
http://shop.brando.com.hk/htcstereoconverter.php

Attached Image

It converts HTC's proprietary 11pin USB port to standard 3.5mm stereo headphone so you can use your own set of quality earphones!

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
needstuff
post Dec 27 2006, 09:19 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (runningtiger @ Dec 27 2006, 01:29 PM) *
Just ran across this:
http://shop.brando.com.hk/htcstereoconverter.php

Attached Image

It converts HTC's proprietary 11pin USB port to standard 3.5mm stereo headphone so you can use your own set of quality earphones!

Thanks Runningtiger for the link to the HTC adaptor. I ordered one of these also! This means I can listen to music on the plane with my nose cancelling ear phones of choice (as you can't have BT turned on in-flight)

I'll post my thought on the dash here soon. I was a treo owner and have already found my likes and dislikes with the Dash.

+Quote Post
needstuff
post Dec 27 2006, 09:20 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (runningtiger @ Dec 27 2006, 01:36 AM) *
I haven't seen anything yet for the proprietary HTC mini-USB (as opposed to standard mini-USB). In the meantime, there are BT headsets as well as BT adapters that allow use of standard headphones. For an example of that kind, check here:
http://www.mobilegadgetnews.com/index.php?...ost&p=53435

Thanks - This information is perfect! I in fact got a later model of BT earphones, the i-Tech ClipS38 Bluetooth Stereo Headset Adapter for $34 on ebay http://stores.ebay.com/x1387 - I hope these will be good and will be compatible with the dash - should be. It provides both music and phone functions on the BT clip.

+Quote Post
needstuff
post Jan 8 2007, 10:09 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (needstuff @ Dec 27 2006, 03:20 PM) *
Thanks - This information is perfect! I in fact got a later model of BT earphones, the i-Tech ClipS38 Bluetooth Stereo Headset Adapter for $34 on ebay http://stores.ebay.com/x1387 - I hope these will be good and will be compatible with the dash - should be. It provides both music and phone functions on the BT clip.

Well since my last post and the help received from this forum I have in my hands the cool little BT stereo headset adapter by I.Tech. As I said last time I managed to get the newer model, the CLIP S38 on ebay and I found out after looking at the I.TECH website that the S38 is a non US model - but this is because it comes with a UK / Japan type power plug for the charger - BUT this was no problem as the EBAY store puts an US / UK apator in the packet anyway.

Well I opened the box and it has everything you need:
  • Headset Charger
  • USB headset charger
  • neck sling thing to hang the CLIP S38 if you wish
  • mono ear piece
  • stereo ear piece
  • driver cd - never used it though
  • clear instructions in english
  • instructions in japanise!
  • CLIP S38

The pairing was so easy and worked just as the instructions said.

Once charged and working the quality for me is good and range fine about 30 ft.

The buttons work well and the pairing all works well with the Dash. The Dash puts the correct (headset) icon on the icon tool bar while connected and voice tag call can be made thru the CLIP S38. Music mutes automatically when a call comes in and music resumes once the call ends.

All in all this worked as the box said! And the Dash seamlessly paired with the S38. I tried turning the S38 on and off and the Dash BT on and off and each time they paried without any issues, although I found that the Dash BT hand to be on first before turning on the S38 for a more consistant connection. This is just what I wanted and I can plug any of my more expensive 3.5mm headsets into the CLIP S38.

Excellant value for $34 +S&H I think.

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Jan 9 2007, 02:12 AM
Post #7

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

That's good news! Thanks for following up!! I understood you to say you ordered the non-BT adapter as well. I look forward to hearing how that one works too.

Which player are you using on your Dash (the built in wmPlayer or, some other)? If you're using TCPMP, can you use the entire qwerty keyboard as hotkey assignments?

I listen to music a lot on my phone and have assigned hotkeys and use them all the time. I've been trying out a PPC device and really miss being able to control TCPMP this way (very limited due to the minimal amount of keys available). I've sort of turned my attention to the Dash and have been wondering about this issue. I've also been wondering if the BT AudioToggle programs work with it (transfer all phone sounds to your BT earpiece)?

Have you tried either/both these things?

--------------------

+Quote Post
needstuff
post Jan 9 2007, 10:29 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (runningtiger @ Jan 8 2007, 08:12 PM) *
That's good news! Thanks for following up!! I understood you to say you ordered the non-BT adapter as well. I look forward to hearing how that one works too.

Which player are you using on your Dash (the built in wmPlayer or, some other)? If you're using TCPMP, can you use the entire qwerty keyboard as hotkey assignments?

I listen to music a lot on my phone and have assigned hotkeys and use them all the time. I've been trying out a PPC device and really miss being able to control TCPMP this way (very limited due to the minimal amount of keys available). I've sort of turned my attention to the Dash and have been wondering about this issue. I've also been wondering if the BT AudioToggle programs work with it (transfer all phone sounds to your BT earpiece)?

Have you tried either/both these things?

I am sorry, runningtiger I don't know what all the abbreviations you have used mean. But if I understand you correctly I confirm the following:

Yes I am only using WM player on the phone. - (what is TCPMP?)

I have played about with the CLIP S38 while listening to music and doing other functions on the phone. As far as I can tell all the system and phone noises are transferred via the CLIP S38 to the speakers at a lowered volume.

I did notice that when another function on the Dash was performed that produce a system noise such as an Active Sync (with the USB cable) while listening to music the mute of the music was not immediate and crisp - it kinda went mute with a slight loss of signal and then the system noise was heard - and it went back to music. The point of saying all this is - that if the system tone or alarm is very short - for example when being prompted to speak a voice tag if initiated while listening to music directly from the CLIP S38, then the time to mute and hear the beep prompt is too short and sometimes I did not hear the beep prompt, or it did not sound. So when riding my bicycle (when I can't see the Dash screen), on this particular function I just had to press the button on the CLIP S38 to make a voice tag call and say the name - assuming I was prompted - it worked each time
however.

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Jan 10 2007, 08:18 AM
Post #9

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

It is alphabet soup around here sometimes ain't it? TCPMP is The Core Pocket Media Player and it is preferred by many over the built in wmPlayer. I think it handles more formats is why some prefer it. I prefer it 'cuz it's more customizable and it handles stream drops better than the built in player. TCPMP is able to pickup a dropped stream and repair itself many times, where wmPlayer just seems to give up. I find it easier (more intuitive) to use. It just works the way it seems like it should.

--------------------

+Quote Post
needstuff
post Jan 10 2007, 12:24 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (runningtiger @ Jan 10 2007, 02:18 AM) *
It is alphabet soup around here sometimes ain't it? TCPMP is The Core Pocket Media Player and it is preferred by many over the built in wmPlayer. I think it handles more formats is why some prefer it. I prefer it 'cuz it's more customizable and it handles stream drops better than the built in player. TCPMP is able to pickup a dropped stream and repair itself many times, where wmPlayer just seems to give up. I find it easier (more intuitive) to use. It just works the way it seems like it should.

Thanks, learnt something new! I visited the TCPMP site and had a look around. Is there a version you have to download for Smart phones or do you install the same app on the PC as well as the phone?- Perhaps this should go under a new thread for media players - not sure.

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Jan 10 2007, 07:39 PM
Post #11

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

TCPMP is well discussed in these forums under many different threads. Of course, you can start a new topic if you end up having more questions about TCPMP or, any other player.

If you haven't ran across it yet, SurrealNetworks has a site you might be interested in here:
http://surrealnetworks.com/mpx/DashApps.htm

The correct TCPMP for your DASH can be downloaded there.

--------------------

+Quote Post
needstuff
post Jan 21 2007, 12:34 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (needstuff @ Dec 27 2006, 03:19 PM) *
Thanks Runningtiger for the link to the HTC adapter. I ordered one of these also! This means I can listen to music on the plane with my nose canceling ear phones of choice (as you can't have BT turned on in-flight)

I'll post my thought on the dash here soon. I was a treo owner and have already found my likes and dislikes with the Dash.

Just to follow up on the HTC adapter. I got one and it works fine.

I had read on another suppliers' site that Dash users had experienced problems with the adapter. This works fine and I can use any headset with a 3.5mm plug. This is for media play back use and not for the phone functions, although the phone sounds that would normally come through the front of phone ear piece are transmitted into the ear phones. The sound that the phone plays on the main speaker on the back remain so in "normal" profile even with the ear plugs plugged in. So, in other words it does not force the phone into a true "headset" mode like the I.Tech S28 BT adapter does. I use the BT adapter (already reported on within this topic thread) when I want fill phone functionality and music in the headset.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:40 AM