IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Something wrong with my MPX220, any tips?
frank.lui
post Apr 23 2007, 07:26 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,543
Phone: MPx200
Carrier: Orange

It developed some kind of fault recently. When I turn it on, it either switches off itself or enable to switch on. I have to take out battery for a while then I can get it up. Anyone give a hand? I did not install any software recently. Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Apr 23 2007, 10:39 PM
Post #2

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: Alltel

Have you tried leaving it plugged into an wall outlet charger for a day or so to make certain it is really charged fully? If I remember right, some people ran into problems who charged via USB where the phone really wasn't receiving a complete charge. Other than that, I don't have any other suggestions.

The 220 is notorious for having a flaky charger adapter and it isn't always charging just 'cuz it's plugged in. I found it useful to leave the flip open on my 220 and then turn it over while it was charging. This forced some pressure on the contacts and it would charge. Normally I would have closed it while charging or left it sitting open but in a normal position with the battery door sitting on the table top rather than up in the air. Know what I mean? Anyway, eventually my 220 wasn't holding a charge very long and we got a new 3125 and I never bothered to find out what was up with it not holding a charge.

Good luck!

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
frank.lui
post Apr 24 2007, 07:42 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (runningtiger @ Apr 23 2007, 10:39 PM) *
Have you tried leaving it plugged into an wall outlet charger for a day or so to make certain it is really charged fully? If I remember right, some people ran into problems who charged via USB where the phone really wasn't receiving a complete charge. Other than that, I don't have any other suggestions.

The 220 is notorious for having a flaky charger adapter and it isn't always charging just 'cuz it's plugged in. I found it useful to leave the flip open on my 220 and then turn it over while it was charging. This forced some pressure on the contacts and it would charge. Normally I would have closed it while charging or left it sitting open but in a normal position with the battery door sitting on the table top rather than up in the air. Know what I mean? Anyway, eventually my 220 wasn't holding a charge very long and we got a new 3125 and I never bothered to find out what was up with it not holding a charge.

Good luck!

I did use wall charger from time to time. But I normally plug the phone into desktop charger in my office first thing in the morning and charge/sync it until 'full'.
I will take your advice.

By the way, thank you very much for your advice of pocket PC. I bought a O2 XDA Mini S (i-mate KJam, MDA Vario, what ever you call it). It is a lot of fun! Maybe after sometime I would not bother any issue with MPX220 as well.

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Apr 24 2007, 09:17 AM
Post #4

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

The MDA is fun, glad to hear you're enjoying it. You'll really like it after you get it app unlocked. (See your other question for an updated link on how to get that done.) I was 'playing' with my MDA the other day and was reminded of how much I like it. If only the Bluetooth wouldn't turn itself off - I'd actually use it instead of just 'play' with it!

I forgot to mention that other 220 owners have mentioned getting an external battery charger when the internal no longer works reliably. I'm not quite sure how a desktop charger (that you normally use) and a wall outlet charger (that I mention) differ? I just meant an AC charger as compared to a USB charger - which is probably what you mean too. I just wanted to be clear if there was a mis-understanding.

So, what worked for me was using an AC wall charger and then charging the phone with it in the upside down & open position so that the phone's weight rested on the charger plug part that plugs into the bottom of the phone. The little bit of weight on it to kept good contact with those two little prongs and ensured it was actually charging while plugged in. On mine, I could wiggle the plug part up and down and watch the indicator at the top of the screen change from the plug icon to the battery - showing that it was not always in charge mode even though it was plugged in.

Good luck with both phones!

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
frank.lui
post Apr 24 2007, 12:32 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (runningtiger @ Apr 24 2007, 09:17 AM) *
The MDA is fun, glad to hear you're enjoying it. You'll really like it after you get it app unlocked. (See your other question for an updated link on how to get that done.) I was 'playing' with my MDA the other day and was reminded of how much I like it. If only the Bluetooth wouldn't turn itself off - I'd actually use it instead of just 'play' with it!

I forgot to mention that other 220 owners have mentioned getting an external battery charger when the internal no longer works reliably. I'm not quite sure how a desktop charger (that you normally use) and a wall outlet charger (that I mention) differ? I just meant an AC charger as compared to a USB charger - which is probably what you mean too. I just wanted to be clear if there was a mis-understanding.

So, what worked for me was using an AC wall charger and then charging the phone with it in the upside down & open position so that the phone's weight rested on the charger plug part that plugs into the bottom of the phone. The little bit of weight on it to kept good contact with those two little prongs and ensured it was actually charging while plugged in. On mine, I could wiggle the plug part up and down and watch the indicator at the top of the screen change from the plug icon to the battery - showing that it was not always in charge mode even though it was plugged in.

Good luck with both phones!

I seem to get rid of the app lock issue from my MDA. It seems after the first failed attempt, if I tried the second install or the third, it let me do it. I am 'shopping' round now!
My desktop charger has to connect to PC via USB. But the beter thing is the phone sit in it (actually on top of the connector) almost vertically so the weight plays a bit role. I am going to try to 'exhaust' the whole battery then recharge it with AC adaptor during weekend.
Thanks again!

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Apr 24 2007, 07:16 PM
Post #6

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

QUOTE (frank.lui @ Apr 24 2007, 05:32 AM) *
...I am 'shopping' round now!...
There is a TON a free programs out there too. Be sure to look for them while you're 'shopping'.

BTW...do you use Bluetooth on your Wizard? Have you noticed it shutting off on it's own? When I posted about this before I got responses that indicated it was a PPC issue and not just the Wizard's. I'm hopeful wm6 will fix the problem, but still am curious about other's experience with it. If it's NOT an issue on yours, what ROM are you using?

---
Update: wm6 "vanilla" ROM fixed the BT issue of auto-off that I was having. It's always on now with no issues.
Reason for edit: New updated info

--------------------

+Quote Post
gracedt
post Apr 29 2007, 02:37 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 15,356

Hi, I had some problems with mine but I found a solution with the help of the free live support from a great tech support site. I am sure you will find a solution too.

Here is the page for Motorola MPx220 Support

Just click on the live support on the right.

Good luck

Grace

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:18 AM