Post #1

MS-MVP / MoDaCo.com

Group: MGN Ultimate
Member No.: 1,721
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: T-Mobile
PocketPC: HTC

It's been a while since my first pictures were posted for the internal
components, so after permission from site admin gryph0n I have created a guide on
how to take the phone apart.
These are all new pictures which include the never seen before keyboard stripped down to expose the circuit layout.

To open the main body of the phone you need a T5 Torx screwdriver
(I have posted in the past saying a T4 but later found out that was due to my old driver being worn out :oops:)
Remove the four screws, then you need a small flat bladed screwdriver to
unclip the two retaining clips in the middle sides of the body see below pointing to one of the clips, the other one is on the oppersite side.

Attached Image

Once you have uncliped the cover, lift back from the battery cover release end to remove the cover out of the way.
Now you can see the SD card socket

Attached Image

After removing the screen connector strip, can be lifted out of the way
to expose the Keypad buttons and keypad membrane side of the circuitboard. You can also see the internal battery.

Attached Image

Attached Image

The metal keypad membrane support plate can be carefully lifted to show the components underneath.

Attached Image

This next part I do not recommend anyone to try unless you want to risk destroying the keypad. I removed the membrane from the backing plate
and then proceded to seperate the top memberane from the circuitboard.
As you can see this is the matix layout of the keypad.

Attached Image

Attached Image

I went this far in my testing to find the actual cause of the DownLeft problem on the main controller.

Now to move on to the Flip section of the phone.
On the display side there are four rubber plugs, remove these and then the T5 Tork srews underneath them.
Now the hard part, there are two clips either side of the case which have to be lifted very carefully with a small thin blade. You have to be carefull
otherwise you will mark the case as the top cover is plastic.

Attached Image

Once you have done this on the hinge is another clip, lift the cover from the top (speaker end) and carefully slide the cover towards the hinge.
Failure to do this will result in the clip being broken off.
You can also see in this picture the vibrate motor and the magnet used for activating the main screen on and off.

Attached Image

Once you have the cover removed unclip the connector cable then you
can lift out the display circuitry.
Note in the two pictures the earpiece speaker and hands free speaker are one component mounted back to back.

Attached Image

Attached Image

This post has been edited by abatis: Jun 24 2006, 01:50 PM

--------------------
awarner Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices & Staff Team Leader modaco.com
SPV, E100, E200, C500, C550, C600 (MoDaCo Edition), MPX200, MPX220, Voq Pro, Mio 8380, JasJar, Vario

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mkestu
post Jul 4 2004, 01:55 PM
Post #2

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,088
Phone: Cingular 3125
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: Other
PMC: Other

WOW! That's great, thanks....

--------------------
Mike S (mkestu)

HTC StarTrek aka 3125
1G microSD
ThinkOutside BT Keyboard
Bluespoon AX2 & JawBoneII
Garmin GPS10x BT GPS

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Jul 7 2004, 06:52 PM
Post #3

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,097
Phone: Other
MP3 Player: Creative
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: eric.d.jones (at) gmail.com

I would just like to add, that no one on this site is responsible for what you may do to your phone. These are pictures showing you the components of the MPx200. If you are not familiar with the inner workings of gadgets, then I recommend that you leave it to the professionals. Remember that it is your phone and you are the only one responsible for what you may do to it...

Just my 2 cents on the matter wink.gif

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps, Infantry
Currently using an iPhone
My Gadget History : AT&T Tilt,
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post
JamesV
post Jul 15 2004, 05:47 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 2,979
Phone: SMT5600

Thanks for the pics. Any idea where the antenna is? Probably a stupid question, but would it be possible to slap an external antenna port in there somehow? I'd love to be able to do that.

thanks,
james

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Jul 15 2004, 08:00 PM
Post #5

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,097
Phone: Other
MP3 Player: Creative
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: eric.d.jones (at) gmail.com

JamesV, I bellive that there is a member already working on that project, search the forums for it. Wraith already has included a pic elsewhere that the antenna is circled.

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps, Infantry
Currently using an iPhone
My Gadget History : AT&T Tilt,
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post
awarner
post Jul 15 2004, 09:24 PM
Post #6

MS-MVP / MoDaCo.com

Yep the antenna is located in the bottom housing in the box section behind
the battery contacts.

--------------------
SPV, E100, E200, C500, C550, C600 (MoDaCo Edition), MPX200, MPX220, Voq Pro, Mio 8380, JasJar, Vario

+Quote Post
JamesV
post Jul 15 2004, 11:08 PM
Post #7

Cool. I searched the forums and the web but nothing turned up. Wraith, would you please direct me to that picture with the antenna circled if it's still up anywhere?

thank you,
james

+Quote Post
awarner
post Jul 16 2004, 06:42 AM
Post #8

MS-MVP / MoDaCo.com

Here you go Antenna

--------------------

+Quote Post
JamesV
post Jul 17 2004, 11:23 PM
Post #9

Thank you. If I ever get the guts up to try this external antenna mod, I'll let everyone know.

-james

+Quote Post
SavageGimp
post Aug 17 2004, 02:21 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 4,480

Thank you SO much this was just what i needed to fix the problem i was having with my speaker not working!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
PaulK
post Sep 3 2004, 01:56 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 4,646

Is it normal for the display to feel a little loose when its not completely opened or closed? I'm just wondering if something needs to be tightened. Thanks

+Quote Post
awarner
post Sep 3 2004, 06:53 AM
Post #12

MS-MVP / MoDaCo.com

Yes that's fine, as there is not any spring tension at mid point of the flip opening.
There slight movement when the phone is close but it is more stable when it is open.

--------------------

+Quote Post
PaulK
post Sep 4 2004, 07:39 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 4,646

Thanks!

+Quote Post
cinimod1000
post Sep 29 2004, 12:27 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,761
Phone: MPx220

Re: Antenna Mod.
I made an internal antenna mod to my generic OEM (actual tri-band, non-AT&T) phone.
1. I removed the back cover.
2. I took a piece of thin insulated single-strand wire, and wrapped it around a small "lock washer". (The washer provides good contact with the metal antenna plate, which is glued to the inside of the rear cover - read on).
3. I then took a piece of 3M "super strength tape" (it's got a padded backing), and placed the washer against the metal plate, about a third in from the left - the tape holds it in place and in electrical contact with the metal plate on the rear cover.
4. I ran the wire down the left side of the rear housing, and over the hole for the "rotary volume" selector, or whatever you call it. There is a groove down the inside/side of the rear cover that this thin wire will fit in.
6. The wire was cut at roughly 1.44 inches in length, measured vertically from the bottom of the metal plate antenna (This is a good length for 1900mhz - USA).
The mod has improved reception substantially for me. Especially in weak areas. The reason I used the tape, is so I can undo the mod, without causing any permanent damage.
By the way, I purchased a housing somewhere on the web - it was Orange branded, and this had a different antenna installed to the one in my phone. The antenna in my phone is only about half the width of the rear housing, whereas the Orange one runs the full width. (Motorola replaced my rear housing because of the SIM problem). I tried the Orange one, but it made no difference to the reception, when compared with my original, so I went back to my modded antenna.
When I get time, I will take a v66 antenna, and mount it on the spare rear housing. However, I suspect this will only give me the reception I have already gained from my mod, plus perhaps a bit more, due to the antenna being further away from the users hand when in use. Will report back sometime soon. Hope this helps.

+Quote Post
kailes
post Oct 1 2004, 01:14 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 2,141

my right direction key has died. if i were to go thru all this trouble, would a layperson(like me) be able to do something to fix it?

+Quote Post
awarner
post Oct 2 2004, 04:39 PM
Post #16

MS-MVP / MoDaCo.com

Not really as you would have to strip the keypad membrane which I do not advise.
The problem is possibly oxidisation on the plate of the white part of the keypad
(not shown in my pictures above)

--------------------

+Quote Post
mkestu
post Oct 3 2004, 06:41 PM
Post #17

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 3,088
Phone: Cingular 3125
PMC: Other

wraith, any cahnce of better resolution pics of the chips in the RF section? I'm looking into what exactly they are capable of.....

--------------------
Mike S (mkestu)

HTC StarTrek aka 3125
1G microSD
ThinkOutside BT Keyboard
Bluespoon AX2 & JawBoneII
Garmin GPS10x BT GPS

+Quote Post
awarner
post Dec 2 2004, 11:33 PM
Post #18

MS-MVP / MoDaCo.com

mkestu sorry for not replying sooner been very busy but if I get time I will try.

--------------------

+Quote Post
oallostavros
post Dec 8 2004, 10:03 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,920

Hey, I'm thinkin about doing the antenna mod, but am gonna hold off until I find out about this.

Was wondering if this type of addition might have adverse effects in terms of our exposure to increased amounts of radiation from the phone, and if so, by how much.

It wouldn't bother me if it increased it a little bit, but if it goes through the roof, then I'll pass.

Thanks

I made an internal antenna mod to my generic OEM (actual tri-band, non-AT&T) phone.
2. I took a piece of thin insulated single-strand wire, and wrapped it around a small "lock washer". (The washer provides good contact with the metal antenna plate, which is glued to the inside of the rear cover - read on).
3. I then took a piece of 3M "super strength tape" (it's got a padded backing), and placed the washer against the metal plate, about a third in from the left - the tape holds it in place and in electrical contact with the metal plate on the rear cover.
4. I ran the wire down the left side of the rear housing, and over the hole for the "rotary volume" selector, or whatever you call it.  There is a groove down the inside/side of the rear cover that this thin wire will fit in.
6. The wire was cut at roughly 1.44 inches in length, measured vertically from the bottom of the metal plate antenna (This is a good length for 1900mhz - USA).
The mod has improved reception substantially for me. Especially in weak areas. The reason I used the tape, is so I can undo the mod, without causing any permanent damage.
By the way, I purchased a housing somewhere on the web - it was Orange branded, and this had a different antenna installed to the one in my phone.  The antenna in my phone is only about half the width of the rear housing, whereas the Orange one runs the full width. (Motorola replaced my rear housing because of the SIM problem). I tried the Orange one, but it made no difference to the reception, when compared with my original, so I went back to my modded antenna.
When I get time, I will take a v66 antenna, and mount it on the spare rear housing. However, I suspect this will only give me the reception I have already gained from my mod, plus perhaps a bit more, due to the antenna being further away from the users hand when in use.  Will report back sometime soon.  Hope this helps.

+Quote Post
oallostavros
post Dec 8 2004, 10:15 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,920

Hey, I'm thinkin about doing the antenna mod, but am gonna hold off until I find out about this.

Was wondering if this type of addition might have adverse effects in terms of our exposure to increased amounts of radiation from the phone, and if so, by how much.

It wouldn't bother me if it increased it a little bit, but if it goes through the roof, then I'll pass.

Thanks

4. I ran the wire down the left side of the rear housing, and over the hole for the "rotary volume" selector, or whatever you call it.  There is a groove down the inside/side of the rear cover that this thin wire will fit in.
By the way, I purchased a housing somewhere on the web - it was Orange branded, and this had a different antenna installed to the one in my phone.  The antenna in my phone is only about half the width of the rear housing, whereas the Orange one runs the full width. (Motorola replaced my rear housing because of the SIM problem). I tried the Orange one, but it made no difference to the reception, when compared with my original, so I went back to my modded antenna.
When I get time, I will take a v66 antenna, and mount it on the spare rear housing. However, I suspect this will only give me the reception I have already gained from my mod, plus perhaps a bit more, due to the antenna being further away from the users hand when in use.  Will report back sometime soon.  Hope this helps.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:30 PM