post Jan 21 2007, 05:09 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,567
Phone: Dopod s300
Carrier: Alltel
PocketPC: None
MP3 Player: Creative

Where I live Cingular has leased their service (towers) to a company called Edge Wireless. Edge Wireless is called a partner company to Cingular. They use the same equipment . Anyway, this means that Cingular won't sell me their phones or their cell service. I am forced to buy these things through Edge Wireless (whatever happened to a free market?).

What I'd like to know, is can I buy a Cingular 8525 (aka Hermes/TyTN) and use it with Edge Wireless service? My current phone is a Nokia 2260 (very old CDMA phone). It doesn't have a SIM. How do I go about making sure that I can:

1) Get a Cingular 8525 to work

2) Get a SIM for it from my provider Edge Wireless

I'm kind of new to all of this. I just want to use an 8525/Hermes/TyTN and I'm trying to find a way to do so.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

This post has been edited by whoster69: Jan 21 2007, 05:09 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jan 21 2007, 05:29 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

You could get the 8525 and ask your provider, Edge Wireless, to give you a SIM because you're upgrading your phone from the old technology. They should provide you with a SIM, and there's a chance it will work without having to SIM unlock the phone because Edge is a partner of Cingular's. If not, you would need to SIM unlock the 8525 to get it to work with the Edge SIM. This can be done at http://www.imei-check.co.uk for around $40.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
whoster69
post Jan 21 2007, 05:45 AM
Post #3

[left]
QUOTE (smeg36 @ Jan 20 2007, 09:29 PM) *
You could get the 8525 and ask your provider, Edge Wireless, to give you a SIM because you're upgrading your phone from the old technology. They should provide you with a SIM, and there's a chance it will work without having to SIM unlock the phone because Edge is a partner of Cingular's. If not, you would need to SIM unlock the 8525 to get it to work with the Edge SIM. This can be done at http://www.imei-check.co.uk for around $40.

Can I use this UK site even though I'm in the US to unlock my phone?

Thanks for the idea!

This post has been edited by whoster69: Jan 21 2007, 05:45 AM

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jan 21 2007, 06:40 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Yes, it works very well. Many on this site, including most of the mods and admins, have used it with very satisfying results. You typically have your phone completely unlocked in less than $5 minutes from the time you pay.

--------------------

+Quote Post
whoster69
post Jan 21 2007, 01:41 PM
Post #5

Regarding unlocking. I was told by Cingular that if I bought one of their phones off of Ebay and turned it on without setting up service that the phone and the SIM in it would be locked out from being used. Does this unlocking turn that off? How can someone in the UK unlock my phone in the US?

Thank you very much for the help. I'm trying to understand how this all works.

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jan 21 2007, 04:02 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

What they meant was it would be SIM locked, and another carrier's SIM wouldn't work in it. That's why you would need to SIM unlock it. Basically a phone is locked so only one carrier's SIM will work in it. The locked is given it's own unique code that will remove it. imei-check uses software that reads your phone and figures out what the unique code for your phone is. It isn't an easy code to crack, which is the reason why they are one of the only people that can do it.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:56 AM