> Cursed? Dead Air / Unable To Complete Call
zosdog
post Dec 22 2006, 09:59 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,567
Phone: MPx200
Carrier: Alltel

Thanks to the read and responses to my previous post on associating .exe to M.P.. Issue was resolved after a hard reset.

And now for something completely different. Tuesday I noticed dead air when accepting calls. So I made a call, same thing. Timer was ticking so I know the calls were making it through. Sure enough, all 3 of my phones (all MPX200) experienced the same problem. Called Cingular (on one of those copper wire antiques), and they claimed there were network issues. Fine. Thursday comes along, now I can't complete calls at all. "Unable to complete the call as dialed" on the screen. ALL 3 PHONES! Called Cingular again, and they claimed the previous issue was fixed, and they opened a new service call. The tech I talked to said my phones were not accepting updates, with no explanation why. Obviously, not all 3 of my phones went bad at the same exact time, and not with them being in 3 different locations. My best guess is the phones got a bad update that screwed up the SIMs somehow, but I can't be the only one can I ???

I have no faith that Cingular will resolve this. I'm desparate for any ideas.

Details:

3 MPX200's with WM2002 and ATT SIMS (still locked)
Showing 4 bars, GPRS available, and can still SMS
No other errors present,
Have reinserted SIM and power cycled countless times.
South Bend, IN area (North Central IN)
Local calling family plan from ATT days

Thanks in advance,
Zos

P.S. Can these phones accept newer Cingular (or other for that matter) SIMs if unlocked? I understand there are differences, but not completely sure I understand what they are. Something about memory size and supposedly signal strength? And can I use my old SIMs with newer phones, just in case this issue is fixed, so I can continue to use my current plan.

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Dec 22 2006, 07:10 PM
Post #2

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard

I don't know this for sure...but, I don't think your current plan is tied to your SIM. I'd go to a Cingular store w/all 3 phones so you can show & tell them the problem. They "should" give you (as in gratis) 3 new SIMS. I thought our SIMs were just our account info and any contacts etc that we store on it AND, of course, the key to the network. The SIM locked thing is when your phone is locked and can't use another service provider's SIM. But, if you have a Cingular phone that is SIM locked, you should be able to put a friend's Cingular SIM in and be OK. It'll just ring/answer their phone number now. You'll have no luck with a T-Mo SIM though. See the difference?

I just bought a Cingular 3125 (not tied to any plan) and not from Cingular (got mine off of eBay). It's came locked. My Cingular SIM worked fine. Our T-Mo chip got nothing. I unlocked the phone last night and now both SIMS work just fine in it.

I bought my MPx200 on eBay about a year ago and it came with a SIM but from the other side of the country. I went to my local Cingular store and traded them for a new 3G card. Since that time, I've also purchased the MPx220 and my current i-mate (all off of eBay). The SIM that came with the 220 worked just fine until I flashed the ROM and then I started having connection problems. Cingular replaced my SIM three times before I figured out the new ROM was the issue and I flashed another over that and it's been good ever since.

My i-mate just quick "connecting" one day. I'd done no tinkering, it started out the day just fine and then <BOOM - like yours> it quit! However, I never got the "Unable to complete the call as dialed" message. Mine was just continuously "searching" so I could not use the "phone" part of my device at all. I took it into the store, got a new SIM and went merrily on my way.

Now, my plan is not a grandfathered plan that I'm clinging to which sounds like yours might be. That's the only thing that concerns me with your story. I'm sure they'd waste no opportunity to try and get you onto one of their newer more expensive plans as the only "fix".

Bottom line...a screwed up SIM should be replaced by Cingular at no charge to you. I wouldn't go in acting like they'd be doing me a favor to give me new SIMs. I'd go in with the attitude that they messed me up and they need to fix it. It's also been MY experience whenever something is wrong, Cingular's first impulse is to say go to a store and get a new SIM! If that doesn't fix it, then they really don't have much else to offer. Know what I mean?

Now, for your P.S., can the MPx200 accept newer Cingular (or, non-Cingular) SIMS if unlocked. The answer is YES! My MPx200 runs on the most recent 3G SIM from Cingular that normally is in my i-mate (the SIM I just got a couple weeks ago as mentioned above). It runs on our T-Mo SIM without a problem too.

Likewise, your older SIMs *should* work in newer phones. The caveat being that 3G thing. I'm not up to speed on these things either, but in the back of my mind I have a vague memory that there are some newer phones that must have the latest SIM. I remember zero details about why though. Easiest way to find out is to try your SIM in a newer phone and see! In fact, I'd do that while I was at the Cingular store. Or, is it since it's an old ATT SIM it won't work? Hmm, again, I don't know for sure - but, I'd be eager to find out.

Road trip!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck!

ohhhhh, also, check out this thread:
http://www.mobilegadgetnews.com/index.php?...ost&p=56965

lil14kid says there is a $50 family plan that maybe you'd be interested in finding out if it's so!

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
zosdog
post Dec 23 2006, 10:02 AM
Post #3

Thanks for the reply. As of this posting my phones came back on-line. Nothing I did, Cingular fixed something that stemmed from their previous "network issue" earlier in the week. Unfortunately, no details were filed that explained the problem or resolution. But I will give the guy who handled my call credit, he was under pressure from his side not to issue a service call. I was just a bit more persuasive in my argument than his superior. That, and I'm getting a $25 credit for my lost service time.

As far as SIMs and plans go, I'm keeping the SIM's as long as I can because, according to Cingular, they are tied to my grandfathered ATT plan. They will only replace SIMS with newer ones, and only with a plan "upgrade". I said no thanks, because their "upgrade" would cost me $250 more per year. Since I am just a newbie really, I can only assume that an old SIM would work in a 3G phone, but the 3G capabilities would not be available. Has anybody tested this theory? Like I need 3G! I'm just now replacing my Betamax movie collection with LD, and I just replaced my 9600 baud modem with a 56k! I'm rockin'!!!

By the way, I can swap SIM's between the 3 phones I have. I might go to my local geek source and see if his newer Cingular SIM will work in my, now, unlocked phone. I might go crazy and try that WM2003 upgrade that's so popular with the kids now adays!

Thanks again,
Zos

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Dec 24 2006, 06:49 AM
Post #4

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard

laugh.gif
Man, Zosdog, you are pushing the envolope there with that bleeding edge technology! You should check out the new fangled thing they call "MP3". I hear it's pretty cool! I still don't understand how someone's CD collection can be squished down to fit in such a teeny-tiny box. It seems to me they would break. But, that's what they say. wink.gif

Thanks for the laugh and I'm glad your phones are working again!

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
zosdog
post Dec 24 2006, 09:49 AM
Post #5

I would replace the phone with a 220, but to me it's like an old IBM keyboard. Solid, nearly indestructible, still functional. I actually do use a near 20 year old IBM keyboard. Clickety, clickety. 3 years ago when I bought my MPX, my friends were so proud their phones had these fancy MIDI ringtones. I was thinking how passe, I can play the actual songs!

Tested my phone today, it's officially unlocked. Maybe it's not cursed. Ready to do stupid things with it. Thinking I should back everything up and maybe even clone the SIM for good measure.I'll know then for sure if it's cursed or not.

By the way, I'm more advanced than I let on. Actually, have no land line, and am using wireless internet service (line of sight) at about 1.2-1.5Mbps, which isn't bad since I'm kind of in the sticks. Resisted collecting DVD's the past 5 years because I knew HD DVD would get here eventually, and replace the whole collection. Just like when people had to buy DVD's to replace their VHS and LD collections.

Sorry to go off topic. Hey, anybody know how to convert 8 track to MP3's?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:40 PM