post Dec 8 2004, 02:38 AM
Post #1

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,048
Phone: Other
Carrier: Verizon
PocketPC: Other

A lot is made over the locking issue. For many like me, it is a non-issue since there is no incentive to move from the current network to make it worth while, but I suspect that eventually it won't matter...

I think the pressure of needed synergies and the need to combine as one the existing network and billing structures will within a less than a year require Cingular to come up with a simple solution. There is no easier solution than simply unlocking existing equipment rather than hoping existing users will willfully phone swap on to the new system.

If the systems were really dissimular, it would be one thing, but basically the services are interchangable with only the phone programmed to not accept the Cingular SIM. Since they are the same company and Cingular doesn't do Sim locking, it would make sense.

--------------------
Samsung Omnia i910 - Former Samsung SCH i760 (2gb MicroSD) - Former Treo700W user
USB720 WWan Device Rev. A for Remote WWAN Access.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tom
post Dec 8 2004, 08:06 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 935

The problem is that you're trying to apply logic to an illogical att/cin world.

I agree, they, at some point, will do whatever they have to to get everyone onto the Cingular system. It's too expensive to operate two complete and seperate systems when one can be used.

--------------------
Tom
SMT 5600
MPX 200
HP 565
ATT Wireless

+Quote Post
nskgti
post Sep 15 2005, 12:02 PM
Post #3

Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 337
Phone: Cingular 8525
Carrier: Alltel

What will happen is at some point all of the billing systems will be merged into one. I have heard as early as November or sometime early next year this will start happening.

This will also fix the "market" issue with legacy Cingular. Right now each market has it's own "system". Cingular itself has 2 billing systems.

I can't wait for the single system solution.

There will be no need to unlock phones as they will just transfer the existing sims to the new system. So if you were blue or orange won't matter. At the next point when you upgrade, you will get a new device and sim.

This post has been edited by nskgti: Sep 15 2005, 12:04 PM

+Quote Post
fowen
post Sep 20 2005, 02:04 PM
Post #4

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

Member No.: 591
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: None

I just don't understand why they didn't do this from the beginning. I have received some replacement phones from AT&T since the merger and it looks like the phone can be unlocked to just the orange side without unlocking it to the rest of the world.

if this is the case why not allow their customers to do this? I don't believe they make any money on the sale of new phones, so why force the change?

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:03 PM