Reply to this topicStart new topic
> GPS Navigation for 220
mbhelfman
post Nov 10 2004, 02:37 PM
Post #21

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

Group: Members
Member No.: 470

Response from Mapopolis...I just wanted 125 bucks on a GPS Receiver.

Hi Marc,

The program runs FINE on the MPx220, but on both the US
and European versions of the 220, there is trouble with
the Bluetooth drivers.

If you want to use a GPS with it and run our talking
Navigator software, you'll need to get a ROM upgrade.

The Europeans are expecting their updates on Thursday.

I have not heard what, if anything, Cingular intends
to do here.

If you don't have a GPS, however, it will work great.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mbhelfman
post Nov 11 2004, 01:01 AM
Post #22

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

The good news is, there is a work around. The bad news is, everytime you reboot the phone, you must repeat the following steps: (Got this from Mapopolis)

The hack is to use a regedit editor
> (PHMRegEdit for Smartphone), going to the key
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER/ControlPanel/Bluetooth and change the two values to
> '1'. Then do a repair with the GPS unit (first delete it, then search,
> and then pair). Then it works! But if you powercycle the phone, you
> have to do the above thing again :-(

+Quote Post
TheDukeZip
post Nov 11 2004, 02:53 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 5,666

Tested out the workaround, after reregistering the Bluetooth GPS unit, two new values are created, in addition, the two previous values get changed to "2" Afterwards I end up with BthVCOMNAP, BthVCOMSAP, IsBthVCOMActive, and IsBthVCOMSetup. Tested with CoPilot Live and didn't work. Do you have any information on if this is supposed to work with CoPilot as well or just Mapopolis, and what port you are supposed to use? Thanks for keeping us all updated!

+Quote Post
mbhelfman
post Nov 11 2004, 06:26 PM
Post #24

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

I noticed that also that those 2 registry values get created. I use COM6. I think you can find out what COM port or even change what port by looking at the following registry key HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftBluetoothSerialPorts. My default value is COM6. I have only tried this with Mapopolis, not CoPilot. Either way, I won't be purchasing Mapopolis unless someone gets their hands on this updated European ROM. It's too much of a pain to do this. Bluetooth on the 220 is very flakey. In addition to the GPS not working, the headset problem (other caller not hearing on 1st call), and it's very sensitive, sometimes I can't sync with Activesync and I have to repair the 2....

+Quote Post
TheDukeZip
post Nov 12 2004, 01:08 AM
Post #25

Thanks for the info, got it to work now. Do you have a phone with Cingular firmware? I haven't had any of the problems you experienced, plus when I reset it, it doesn't lose that bluetooth setting. I purchased mine as a straight up Motorola phone - unlocked/unbranded

+Quote Post
mbhelfman
post Nov 12 2004, 02:13 AM
Post #26

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

Yes, I have the cingular firmware. Which one do you have? Where did you get the phone? Ebay?

+Quote Post
TheDukeZip
post Nov 12 2004, 02:41 AM
Post #27

Yes I purchased it off eBay. I was so discouraged with Cingular's V600 firmware (barry indicator never moved from full, EVER, volume was awful... I could go on for pages) that I vowed to never get a phone direct from Cingular again. Great service (at least everywhere I travel), horrid firmware. Here's the info from *#**837#:

SW Ver.: 0.325-0
Sep 17 2004-13:11:56
HW Ver.: 0006
OS Build No.: 1088
HW Build Info.: 4

+Quote Post
hmss007
post Nov 12 2004, 04:31 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 4,243
Phone: i-Mate Ultimate
Carrier: T-Mobile
PocketPC: Other

CoPilot Live | Smartphone works using the registry hack!!

I just bought CoPilot Live and was informed that it wouldn't work with the MPx220, but after playing around with the hack mentioned above

(PHMRegEdit for Smartphone), going to the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER/ControlPanel/Bluetooth and change the two values to '1'. Then do a repair with the GPS unit (first delete it, then search, and then pair).

Since I turn my phone off very rarely, this isn't that big of a deal, but it definately shows that it can work!

+Quote Post
mbhelfman
post Nov 18 2004, 12:44 AM
Post #29

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

I just found out one of the European operators released a new firmware upgrade for the MPx220 and it fixes this Bluetooth GPS issue. I am trying to find out the version # and which operator updated it.

+Quote Post
xander
post Nov 18 2004, 10:15 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 5,779

Hello all! biggrin.gif
I work on the Smartphone app for ALK Technologies. We have an improved cab that does not rely on the serial port for communications with the BT GPS.

If anyone reading this is an EXISTING CoPilot Live | Smartphone user, has an MPx220 and would like to help us test out the new version, please email:

mpx220@alk.com

Needs to be existing users only as we'll be emailing the revised cab file to install and test (no CDs will be sent out).

I'll be emailing this out tomorrow (Friday, November 19) but you can make a request at any time. After it has been fully approved it will be available for download from our website.

Thanks in advance!

Xander Mitman
Product Manager, CoPilot Solutions
ALK Technologies, Inc.

+Quote Post
clintroberts
post Dec 12 2004, 02:05 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 6,228

Anyone made any progress on this. I just bought a Belkin Bluetooth GPS to get this working on my dad's MPX220. Before buying the Mapopolis software I want to get it working. My backup is using the Belkin with a small laptop as it comes with Intellinav but I would love to get the MPX220 going.

+Quote Post
mbhelfman
post Dec 12 2004, 03:59 PM
Post #32

Hardcore Gadget Junkie

I spoke to my contact at Motorola, and I am on a list to be a trial user with a potential upcoming firmware upgrade, but it won't be anytime soon. I bought Pocket Streets for now.

+Quote Post
texlbs
post Mar 29 2005, 07:01 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 5,702

I just got the BT adapter for the GPS that somes with MS S&T and want to use it with Mapopolis. So of course I was scouring the forums to see if anyone had got it working. This thread seems to be the most informative but hasn't been posted in a while. So I thought I would get it going again.

What's the latest? Anyone got GPS working with Mapopolis (with or without registry hacks?) Has Mapopolis been updated to support BT GPS on the MPX 220? Did the 1.30 fw upgrade resolve the issues in this post? Is 1.30 still the latest fw?

Sorry so many questions

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Mar 29 2005, 03:30 PM
Post #34

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,097
Phone: Other
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: Creative
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: eric.d.jones (at) gmail.com

QUOTE (texlbs @ Mar 29 2005, 02:01 AM)
I just got the BT adapter for the GPS that somes with MS S&T and want to use it with Mapopolis.  So of course I was scouring the forums to see if anyone had got it working.  This thread seems to be the most informative but hasn't been posted in a while.  So I thought I would get it going again.

What's the latest?  Anyone got GPS working with Mapopolis (with or without registry hacks?)  Has Mapopolis been updated to support BT GPS on the MPX 220?  Did the 1.30 fw upgrade resolve the issues in this post?  Is 1.30 still the latest fw?

Sorry so many questions

Mapopolis fully supports BT on the Smartphone, I use it several times a week on my 5600, you just have to have the Nav Maps inorder for it to work. They are currently working on a new version that will be more to the needs of a smartphone navigator (involved in some serious beta testing, they want to make sure they get it right the first time). If there are any issues with it, then it relates to the MPx220 and the fact that it doesn't support seiral over BT. I do belive that some people have managed to get it working though, just not too sure how?

No I don't work for mapopolis, but I rely heavily on it to get around and what not...

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps, Infantry
Currently using an iPhone
My Gadget History : AT&T Tilt,
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post
nickpoore
post Mar 30 2005, 03:22 AM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,441
Phone: Palm Treo
Carrier: Verizon
PocketPC: HP iPAQ

FWIW...

Today I got my MPx220 working with my Socket BT GPS adapter.
I needed to do the registry hack, and then set the GPS application to COM6 at 4800 baud.

I'm beta testing the CycleDo application, and it took a while to figure out the registry hack, but after that everything worked fine.

-=Nick=-

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:30 AM