Reply to this topicStart new topic
> battery
teds
post Jan 15 2007, 04:11 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,178
Carrier: T-Mobile

I am having a problem with the Dash. When the battery power reaches about 40 percent, it is only a few hours before it is fully discharged even though the phone is not being used and is locked. Have others experienced this? Is is a battery issue?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jan 15 2007, 04:44 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

How long does it take to get to 40%? It sounds like it could be a battery monitoring problem depending on the answer to that question. If you get decent battery life up to 40%, I'd say the phone just isn't monitoring the remaining battery life very well. If it is going very quickly to 40% something is up with the battery or settings causing this.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
teds
post Jan 15 2007, 04:50 PM
Post #3

Good thought. I seem to get pretty good battery life until it reaches 40 per cent...probably a couple of days. I also noticed when I charged it after it was low that it charged up to 75% in less than an hour. That does make the monitoring suspect.

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jan 15 2007, 06:46 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

Two days is decent battery life. I've never used a Dash, so I don't know the standard life, but 2 days seems about right. I've had a few WM Smartphones that had that same problem with monitoring battery life.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
needstuff
post Jan 20 2007, 04:30 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 14,273
Phone: Cingular 8525
Carrier: Alltel
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: Other

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Jan 15 2007, 12:46 PM) *
Two days is decent battery life. I've never used a Dash, so I don't know the standard life, but 2 days seems about right. I've had a few WM Smartphones that had that same problem with monitoring battery life.

I active Sync with bluetooth a few times a day and generally keep the WiFi off and have my phone pulling email every 15 mins

With this prifile I only get about 2 days battery life.

Now with my old Treo 600 it would go on for about 3-4 days (with a 3 year old battery!) granted, it did not have the power draws from BT and WiFi

So I think you have got an OK battery.

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Jan 20 2007, 10:09 PM
Post #6

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,097
Phone: Other
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
MP3 Player: Creative
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: eric.d.jones (at) gmail.com

For any WM device I have used, two days is pretty average for moderate use.

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps, Infantry
Currently using an iPhone
My Gadget History : AT&T Tilt,
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post
teds
post Jan 22 2007, 02:21 PM
Post #7

Thanks for all of your help. My usage is very similar - bluetooth when in car, no-wi-fi, etc. I have my email pushed from Exchange so it comes even more frequently than every 15 minutes. it is good to know that battery life is similar to others. I could keep it charged all the time by having it USB'd to computer but have heard that it is better for a battery to allow it to run down pretty far before charging. Is this true?

+Quote Post
needstuff
post Jan 22 2007, 03:33 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 14,273
Phone: Cingular 8525
Carrier: Alltel
MP3 Player: Other

QUOTE (teds @ Jan 22 2007, 08:21 AM) *
Thanks for all of your help. My usage is very similar - bluetooth when in car, no-wi-fi, etc. I have my email pushed from Exchange so it comes even more frequently than every 15 minutes. it is good to know that battery life is similar to others. I could keep it charged all the time by having it USB'd to computer but have heard that it is better for a battery to allow it to run down pretty far before charging. Is this true?

I am not an expert in modern batteries, but I heard that was true a few years ago. (it was all about the batteries "loosing memory" - ie some of the cells reversed polarity making that section un-chargeable.)

HOWEVER, it depends on the battery technology. I know for a fact my old phone recommended that the battery was kept trickle charged all the time and that running to empty was likely to shorten battery life. This certainly meant my battery lasted very well for 3 years.

I have not seen any stuff on th Dash battery but I keep it topped up as much as possible. Let me know if you find anything more out.

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Jan 23 2007, 05:03 AM
Post #9

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,097
Phone: Other
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
MP3 Player: Creative
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: eric.d.jones (at) gmail.com

For Lithium Ion batteries, you can charge as much and as often as you would like. They aren't like the older cell phone batteries where it was recommend that you fully (or close to) discharge the battery before plugging in. I put mine on the charger overnight every night, and I haven't seen any adverse affects on any of the smartphones that I have had over the years, at least none that would have been caused by charging habits.

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps, Infantry
Currently using an iPhone
My Gadget History : AT&T Tilt,
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:58 PM