IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How can I view Linksys WVC54G WiFi camera on iPAQ?
6315_user
post Mar 2 2005, 05:56 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,365

My question is does anyone know how I can view the camera output from my Linksys WVC54G WiFi camera on my iPAQ h6315 - both devices connect fine to my WiFi network, but the camera instructions say it requires IE 5.5+ to run the web-based viewer and the viewer utility does not show-up in Activesync to transfer to iPAQ. My understanding is that a browser has to run an Active-X OCX applet (see e.g., https://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksy...ted=1094753229) in order to view the camera output.

I tried the trial version of Netfront 3.1 w/JV lite but got the same result as with PIE, namely no picture, but just a small box. Linksys support also had no ideas.

There has got to be a way (or at least there should be) for me to view this WiFi camera using my iPAQ - otherwise, I would have to waste the money to buy a very small laptop. (If interested, I will be using it to monitor the baby).

So maybe someone has already experienced this and can offer some tips.

Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
6315_user
post Mar 2 2005, 06:53 AM
Post #2

I meant to add: 1 - I have already spent a good deal of time searching the web for a solution, so I am not just looking for an answer without first researching the problem myself. 2 - I am looking for a local solution, that is, a solution that does not involve using a 3rd party server to obtain the browser functions I am seeking (like I have seen described in some previous posts).

Thanks again

+Quote Post
abatis
post Mar 2 2005, 01:22 PM
Post #3

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 626
Phone: Samsung i760
Carrier: Verizon
Secondary Carrier: Sprint
PocketPC: Other

I don't know if it would work, but you could try RegKing. It will make your IE appear as 5.5. RegKing

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN
MGN Making Your Windows Mobile Life Simpler

Main : Samsung i760 - Verizon

+Quote Post
wswaine
post Apr 4 2005, 01:44 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 8,131
Phone: i-Mate Ultimate
Carrier: o2
PocketPC: HP iPAQ

This has been bugging me since I got my WVC54G, but I think I have a solution.

Download Windows Media Player 6.4!!!

http://download.microsoft.com/download/win...N-US/WMPPPC.exe

When you install it, when asked do not update mmtimer.dll to the older version.

To use, File / Open URL to http://<your camera's ip address>/img/video.asf

It seems to only play 7m 9s of video before you have to replay it, but since I just wanted it for a quick check every now and then, pressing play again is not that much effort. Putting it on "repeat" seems to automatically restart it after rebuffering the video.

I've only just done this so I don't know what the long term effects are, so use it at your own risk. However, I'm sitting at work looking at a live picture from home on my iPaq5550.

Regards, Warren.

+Quote Post
sanchez
post Apr 5 2005, 08:17 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 8,159

QUOTE (wswaine @ Apr 4 2005, 02:44 PM)
This has been bugging me since I got my WVC54G, but I think I have a solution.

Download Windows Media Player 6.4!!!

When you install it, when asked do not update mmtimer.dll to the older version.

To use, File / Open URL to http://<your camera's ip address>/img/video.asf

It seems to only play 7m 9s of video before you have to replay it, but since I just wanted it for a quick check every now and then, pressing play again is not that much effort. Putting it on "repeat" seems to automatically restart it after rebuffering the video.

I've only just done this so I don't know what the long term effects are, so use it at your own risk. However, I'm sitting at work looking at a live picture from home on my iPaq5550.

Regards, Warren.

Hi there,

The url to the older 6.4 WMP download is broken, can you point me to a working url or mail me the file.

Regards

Sanchez

+Quote Post
wswaine
post Apr 7 2005, 02:46 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (sanchez @ Apr 5 2005, 09:17 PM)
The url to the older 6.4 WMP download is broken, can you point me to a working url or mail me the file.

Sorry, I didn't quite work out how the http:// tag works on this forum and there was an accidental extra bit of text in the url. The corrected url is:

It should work, I've just tried it from the preview page.

Regards, Warren.

+Quote Post
jccbang
post Jun 12 2005, 08:19 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 9,086

Hi Warren, I tried to install this old media player, but I didn't got any questions for dll's. I have a Fujitsu Siemens LOOX 420 with Windows Mobile 2003 SE.

Do you know why it didn't work?

jc

QUOTE (wswaine @ Apr 7 2005, 02:46 PM)
Sorry, I didn't quite work out how the http:// tag works on this forum and there was an accidental extra bit of text in the url. The corrected url is:

It should work, I've just tried it from the preview page.

Regards, Warren.

+Quote Post
okuppa29
post Jun 22 2005, 11:57 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 9,204

QUOTE (jccbang @ Jun 12 2005, 09:19 PM)
Hi Warren, I tried to install this old media player, but I didn't got any questions for dll's. I have a Fujitsu Siemens LOOX 420 with Windows Mobile 2003 SE.

Do you know why it didn't work?

jc

Sorry Warren, I have read your solution to view the output of the wireless camera on your pda, I have install that version of window media player, I have not updated the dll, but I cannot get see anything on my pda?

Could you please explain me all more detail? thank you very much

+Quote Post
wswaine
post Oct 10 2005, 11:11 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (okuppa29 @ Jun 22 2005, 12:57 PM)
Sorry Warren, I have read your solution to view the output of the wireless camera on your pda, I have install that version of window media player, I have not updated the dll, but I cannot get see anything on my pda?

Could you please explain me all more detail? thank you very much

Sorry, haven't checked back for a while. The last person who emailed me that it didn't work was trying to use the built in media player.

You must use the one that is installed in Programs and looks like a film clapperboard
(which is version 6.4) NOT Windows Media Player v9.

WMP9 will not work as it cannot download the missing codec and you cannot manually install it. The older media player ignores the fact that it is missing the audio and plays it anyway.

+Quote Post
6315_user
post Oct 12 2005, 02:50 PM
Post #10

I'm glad to see that there is still an effort to identify a solution to this question since I am still in need of one too - thanks for all of the responses!

+Quote Post
KIlmister
post Dec 16 2005, 11:41 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 10,744
Phone: HP iPAQ h6500
Carrier: Vodafone
PocketPC: Other

QUOTE (6315_user @ Oct 12 2005, 02:50 PM)
I'm glad to see that there is still an effort to identify a solution to this question since I am still in need of one too - thanks for all of the responses!

Hi all

I have exactly the same problem as you. I thought I was alone with this problem. Just bought a Linkys camera (WVC54G) to monitor the baby. I have been in contact with Linksys support but they couldn't help me. Then I found this thread and a glimpse of hope started to grow...

For various reasons I cannot test this myself for a while so I have to ask you instead.

Did the solution with Media Player 6.4 solve the problem for you? Can you view the camera? Is it without audio? Or have you found another solution to the problem?

Kind regards

Svante (aka Kilmister)

This post has been edited by KIlmister: Dec 16 2005, 12:02 PM

+Quote Post
6315_user
post Jan 8 2007, 04:26 AM
Post #12

Greetings all in '07 - Just wanted to finally note (as the originator of this subject sometime ago) that I tried the solution posted by Warren (aka wswaine), including following all the details of downloading and installing - And it worked (thanks!), Except there is no sound, just video only (and it does have to occasionally be restarted) - But, this is better than not having an option to use the iPAQ to access the camera at all - As I may have noted before, we typically rely on the camera for video and use our cordless phone system to monitor audio (our child has been well monitored!) - anyway, there is delay in the audio feed from the camera (at least for us) that makes it useful only to hear sounds generally (crying, talking, etc.) but not specific sound or speech (we still use it as sort of a backup to the phone monitor and vise versa) - hope this helps for others - thanks

+Quote Post
gfchapman
post Aug 20 2008, 10:23 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 16,508
Google Talk ID: gfchapman

QUOTE (6315_user @ Jan 7 2007, 11:26 PM) *
Greetings all in '07 - Just wanted to finally note (as the originator of this subject sometime ago) that I tried the solution posted by Warren (aka wswaine), including following all the details of downloading and installing - And it worked (thanks!), Except there is no sound, just video only (and it does have to occasionally be restarted) - But, this is better than not having an option to use the iPAQ to access the camera at all - As I may have noted before, we typically rely on the camera for video and use our cordless phone system to monitor audio (our child has been well monitored!) - anyway, there is delay in the audio feed from the camera (at least for us) that makes it useful only to hear sounds generally (crying, talking, etc.) but not specific sound or speech (we still use it as sort of a backup to the phone monitor and vise versa) - hope this helps for others - thanks

This worked extremely well for the real time feed from the camera but how can one view the .asf files that the camera sends in emails when it detects motion? They won't seem to load with the new or old media player (ie. 6.4)?
Thanks guys.

+Quote Post
gfchapman
post Aug 21 2008, 01:08 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 16,508
Google Talk ID: gfchapman

QUOTE (gfchapman @ Aug 20 2008, 05:23 PM) *
This worked extremely well for the real time feed from the camera but how can one view the .asf files that the camera sends in emails when it detects motion? They won't seem to load with the new or old media player (ie. 6.4)?
Thanks guys.

figured it out guys... just use this app (http://picard.exceed.hu/tcpmp/test/) to decode the asf files sent by email from the linksys

+Quote Post
chengangsheng
post Jan 22 2010, 03:38 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 17,568

So many solution, which one is the best? I would have a try. I use canon camera.

--------------------
I love free youtube video more than I can say.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:45 PM