1 star: Find something else; save your money
2 star: Below average; not recommended
3 star: Average; performs as advertised but not inspiring
4 star: Good; worth the money
5 star: Great; best of its kind on the market

Review by Smeg36
Review Date / April 23rd, 2008

Intro

Our previous HTC Touch reviews on MGN have made it very clear; we love the Touch. Both the GSM and Sprint CDMA versions of the Touch have been a big hit, and both got 5 stars. With the release of the XV6900 VZW users can now partake in the Touch goodness. With a few minor software customizations, and a bright white shell, the VZW XV6900 doesn't disappoint.

Pros

The pros and cons have been taken almost directly from the Sprint Touch review. The device is nearly identical, and the pros and cons are almost exactly the same. Look at the Sprint Comparison section for the minor differences between the VZW XV6900 and Sprint Touch.

1) Very small size
2) Flush touch screen is among the clearest, brightest I've ever used. The flush part is really nice as well.
3) VERY fast. The 400Mhz processor coupled with 128MB of RAM means you'll never want for speed.
4) EVDO data, with future EVDO Rev. A upgradeable. Fast data is great.
5) Fit and finish; the Touch just feels like a solid, very well build device.
6) HTC Customizations; I love the HTC software that is included on top of the WM interface. TouchFlo isn't just a gimmick, it works great.

Cons

1) On-screen keyboard isn't as nice as a hardware keyboard. While it does suffice, it just isn't as fast or easy to use. This may be the one area of the Touch that causes some users to dislike it.
2) No wifi. I'm not sure if this is really a con so much as a missing feature that some can't live without. I can live without it, but have found myself wishing I had it a couple times. Not a deal breaker in my case, but it is in some people's.

Sprint Comparison

There are some differences, both large and small, between the XV6900 and Sprint Touch. Below is a list of the differences I noticed between the two devices.

1) White shell. Obviously this is the largest difference. Some will like it, some won't. Personally, I like it. I don't know if I like it better than the black, but it is nice. If any Sprint Touch users out there would rather have the white, I'm sure the VZW housing will become available eventually, and then you can swap out your black for the white. It's not really worth the effort in my book, but I'm sure someone will do it.
2) The HTC Home Verizon today plugin. Both the Sprint and Verizon versions have similar plugins, but they launch different programs. The VZW version launches the phone dialer, locks the device, goes to Messaging, takes you to a mobile Handango software store, and opens the Photo Album software. While not easy to do, this plugin can be customized with your own icons and applications.
3) MMS is included on the VZW XV6900. Us Sprint users have been waiting patiently for years for a Windows Mobile Picture Mail application, but none has come yet. VZW users have a leg up in this area.
4) Lack of a Java client application. While there are some that can be installed, none is included.
5) The TouchFlo cube launches different applications, and has different icons. As with the HTC Home Verizon plugin, this can be customized, although it isn't easy to do.

Conclusion

As with the GSM and Sprint CDMA Touch, the VZW XV6900 is a home run in the Windows Mobile world. If you are looking to get a new phone on VZW, or are signing up for VZW service, take a long hard look at the Touch. I wouldn't switch to Verizon specifically to get the white version of the Touch though, especially as more and more carriers are getting the Touch. Overall, the XV6900 is a great device, as has come to be expected from HTC.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:52 PM