post Jul 24 2007, 02:27 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,623
Phone: MPx220
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: Asus
MP3 Player: iPod Nano

So I just ordered my MPX220 off eBay and I remember the auction posting saying it is an "unlocked phone with Cingular branding". Now I have this one and I have a Cingular locked older one in my posession for messing around with.

My question is this, is it possible to use the Asian ROMs,(v. 3.45 I hear is the best) on these phones without any problems?

Also, I have ActiveSync still installed from when I had my Dell Axim X51 handheld, so do I need to reinstall ActiveSync to use it with my MPX220 and do I need to install anything extra to do the ROM upgrade beyond the offline installer?

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jul 24 2007, 03:50 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

You can use the same Activesync you've been using with your Axim with any Windows Mobile device no problem. Other than the offline updater, you also need the actual ROM image. I assume you already have the Asian images you're wanting to flash. There's no problem flashing the Asian ROM onto a Cingular branded phone. The actual phone is exactly same same hardware regardless of where it was purchased (US/Cingular, Europe, Asia), the only difference is the software. The Asian ROMs are probably the best after you do some tweaking.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
AE86_Racer
post Jul 24 2007, 06:08 AM
Post #3

Cool thanks.

One more thing I guess before the phone arrives. I hear nothing but complaints about the phone not charging after awhile. Is there preventative measures to make sure this doesnt happen to my phone. It already happened to the Cingular locked one.

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Jul 24 2007, 09:55 AM
Post #4

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: Alltel

I don't know how to keep it from happening, but once it does (or, perhaps before it does) start try plugging the charger into the phone like normal then leave the flip open and turn the phone over and rest it on a flat surface with it's backside up. You should be looking at the outside parts of the phone while the keypad and screen are facing down. This puts just a little pressure on that two-pronged charger plug and keeps it in good contact to completely charge your phone.

I used the ROM you've settled on, and like Smeg said, after you get done tweaking it over to English it runs great. The tweaking part is very easy and well worth the effort. I used my 220 until the camera pooped out, but never changed the ROM again after going with the Asian 3.45.

Good luck!

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
AE86_Racer
post Jul 26 2007, 06:37 AM
Post #5

So the new phone is here and I flashed it to the v 3.46 ROM(v. 3.45 I couldnt find) But I notice that the phone boots a lot slower than my older parts phone which is running the Cingular 1.30 ROM. Should I be worried?

Also, the parts phone's battery has a bit swollen since my friend hasnt used it since it stopped charging from the wall charger. Is this battery pack any good and will attempting to charge it with a the USB link cable create any fire risk?

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jul 26 2007, 03:14 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

I wouldn't be worried about the boot time, only if the phone runs slower after it's finished booting. There's a number of things that could cause a longer boot time in various ROMs, few of which should cause concern. As for the battery, it may be a risk using it. I've personally been pretty careless with batteries, and never had a problem. My old MPx200 had a battery that was extremely swollen, but I kept using it with no problems.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Jul 26 2007, 10:12 PM
Post #7

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: Alltel

I would not use anything with a swollen battery. But, that's just me. Interesting to read that Smeg did it without issue though.

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post
abatis
post Jul 27 2007, 12:42 PM
Post #8

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 626
Phone: Samsung i760
Carrier: Verizon
Secondary Carrier: Sprint
PocketPC: Other

I would replace that battery. You don't want to be in the wrong place if that battery malfunctions - like an airplane. They cost $6.99 on Ebay. Why risk it? I don't know the Ebay seller in the link so check around.

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN
MGN Making Your Windows Mobile Life Simpler

Main : Samsung i760 - Verizon

+Quote Post
AE86_Racer
post Aug 5 2007, 06:43 PM
Post #9

Thanks for the warning. The battery does charge and it appears to be powering the phone. I probaly wont use it often if ever though.

On another note though. The phone as a week old and Ive noticed that it still takes a long time to boot. Also it recently began to start lagging when I try to answer a call or turn off an alarm. Ill open the phone and the phone slowly loads the screen and doesnt respond to button pushes till it's done. Should I reset it and reflash it again with the 3.46 ROM?

+Quote Post
Alkeli
post Sep 9 2007, 05:30 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 15,066
Carrier: Other
MP3 Player: Other

Regarding the phone not charging: I just repaied mine. The problem is that connections are wiggled around too much when plugged in. I also find that the USB plug is way too hard to push in and you need too much force to get it to click in. Take care when plugging in the charger or USB cable and don't use more force than what is needed. And, press the release button on the plug when plugging in too. When you open the phone up, there really isn't much reinforcement in there for the main power/data connector. The solder points easily break or come loose.

All 3 of my power contacts were broken right off and the data contacts had all broken loose on the inside. The WHOLE connector was able to wiggle around and would have eventually just fallen right out of the phone. But this is easily fixed by pretty much anyone.

Check my repair post -> Repair "not charging" issue

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:27 AM