Member No.: 1
Phone: Cingular Blackjack
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: iPod Nano
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: murphy dot sean at g mail dot com

First up, what is a blog?

A weblog, Web log or simply a blog, is a web application which contains periodic posts on a common webpage. These posts are often but not necessarily in reverse chronological order. Such a website would typically be accessible to any Internet user. The term "blog" came into common use as a way of avoiding confusion with the term server log.

Blogs run from individual diaries to arms of political campaigns, media programs and corporations, and from one occasional author to having large communities of writers. Some are maintained by single authors, while others have multiple authors. Many weblogs enable visitors to leave public comments, which can lead to a community of readers centered around the blog; others are non-interactive. The totality of weblogs or blog-related websites is usually called the blogosphere. When a large amount of activity, information and opinion erupts around a particular subject or controversy in the blogosphere, it is commonly called a blogstorm.

Read More...

To start blogging on MGN, here is what you need to do.

1. Click on the My Controls link from any page on this site.

2. At the top of the main menu on the left, click on Your Blog Settings

3. You will be informed that your Blog has not been activated, click the Activate Your BLOG button.

4. Now you will be able to enter some information for your blog settings.
- Enter the name of your Blog (ex. Sean's Super Cool Blog)
- Enter a short description (ex. Daily Thoughts about Nothing)
- If you have a blog hosted somewhere else, you can use this function to link to it by selecting the Link to External Blog for the Blog Type drop down menu. If selected, you will be prompted to enter the URL of your blog below.

5. Click the check box beside Friendly URL and then give it a name. This name will be the URL of your blog so if you select "Sean" the blog address would be http://www.mobilegadgetnews.com/blog/Sean

6. You can leave the check boxes as they are unless you want to specifically lock out guests or something

7. The default status of entries is either Draft or Publish. You can save all your entries as a draft if you want to edit them a few times before putting them up, I prefer Publish, post, publish, done. The other settings in this box should be left as default unless you have a nee to change them.

8. Blog Categories are categories for your posts, you can have as many or as few as you like, enter them one per line and when you post s new entry, you will have a drop down box to select the category. Your readers can then sort by category.

9. Click Submit

10. Now if you want to change the layout of your blog, you can select Content Blocks Settings in the Menu on the left. You can edit the layout and add custom blocks, add favorites, or whatever. This is an advanced option, you may want to get your feet wet before you mess with this.

11. You can also have an about me page, this is your chance for a little Bio or whatever. CLick the About Me Settings link in the Manu on the left to get these options.

Now click My Blog (this link is now near the top of every page on the site)

In the blog options, you can add an entry, or configure your settings.

If you need help, let me know and I will try to help.

--------------------
Sean Murphy
Editor
Mobile Gadget News

Main Devices - Cingular 8125, Sony/Ericsson GC83 Edge Card, PSP, Creative ZEN PMC, iPod Nano, Mobile Crossing BT GPS
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
abatis
post Feb 12 2006, 05:23 PM
Post #2

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 626
Phone: Samsung i760
Carrier: Verizon
Secondary Carrier: Sprint
PocketPC: Other

Blog Tip.

If you want your blog to be vieweable by non-registered members you need to go to "Your Blog Setting" > "Look" and switch to Publish from draft. Mine was not showing up as a guest on the site. I don't have any problem with a guest checking out my blog.

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN
MGN Making Your Windows Mobile Life Simpler

Main : Samsung i760 - Verizon

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Feb 12 2006, 06:28 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

Is coming to the site the only way to add a blog entry? I was reading of a blog (can't remember which) where you can add entries by sending an email (IE: smeg36blog@mobilegadgetnews.com or something) with the entry title as the Subject line and the content of the email as the content of the blog. You could attach a picture and it would show up in the blog entry. I think I would be more likely to create a MGN blog if I could take a quick picture on my device and add the entry to the blog by emailing it right then and there. Is there any way to set something like that up?

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
Sean
post Feb 12 2006, 06:42 PM
Post #4

Site Founder
Group Icon

Group: Senior Admin
Member No.: 1
Phone: Cingular Blackjack
MP3 Player: iPod Nano
Google Talk ID: murphy dot sean at g mail dot com

Smeg, There is no way to do that through this software. Too bad, sounds like a cool idea.

--------------------
Sean Murphy
Editor
Mobile Gadget News

Main Devices - Cingular 8125, Sony/Ericsson GC83 Edge Card, PSP, Creative ZEN PMC, iPod Nano, Mobile Crossing BT GPS

+Quote Post
abatis
post Feb 12 2006, 06:52 PM
Post #5

Site Administrator
Group Icon

I looked over on the Invision Help BLOG board and there has been a request for THE ability to update via email. The BLOG programmer responded and said that is not in the cards for now.

One guy was doing this:
"I did it by starting a third party photo blog which I send an image to by email from my phone
It sends my images to a Blogspot generating RSS
the blogspot RSS is importing into my forum

Sounds lengthy but pretty easy and almost instantaneous ".

It seems like with a PPC you could just login and update the blog from the website. But I see the ease in being able to email.

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Feb 12 2006, 06:53 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

If you link to an external blog, as stated in step 4, would it just pull the current content from that blog or continuously update it? If would continuously hotlink to that other blog, I could find one that does have that feature then just hotlink my MGN blog to that one. Just thinking aloud, I think doing it from my device would be the only way I would actually keep up a blog.

Edit-Looks like something like that could be done from your above post abatis. The reason I would rather do it from an email than a browser, aside from the ease of composing an email over loggin on to a webpage, would be attaching a photo. PIE can't add attachments on forums.

--------------------

+Quote Post
abatis
post Feb 12 2006, 07:43 PM
Post #7

Site Administrator
Group Icon

thunderhawk can post pic
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN

+Quote Post
abatis
post Feb 12 2006, 08:00 PM
Post #8

Site Administrator
Group Icon

I see Netfront PPC edition can also upload/download

--------------------
Editor/Administrator MGN

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Feb 13 2006, 12:55 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

You're right, both of them do work for adding attachments. But for simplicity I setup a blog at www.blogger.com which allows me to do exactly what I posted earlier, send an email with a photo attachment, the title as the Subject, and the content of the email as the content of the blog. They do have a Site Feed URL for it. So if I create my own blog here with that site feed url, then send updates to my blog there, will the blog here be updated? I'm just trying to work out the easiest way to get this setup so I will actually use it with some frequency. Thanks for the help guys, I'm new to the blog scene.

--------------------

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Feb 13 2006, 02:02 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

OK, I got the feed setup and I can post using my phone via email. It gets forwarded to the blog I setup here. When you click on smeg36's blog, it gets forwarded to a different page than the MGN blog. Is this what is supposed to happen? Anyone looking for my blog on MGN will be able to find it, but it just forwards them to the site feed url.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gino
post Jun 4 2006, 01:06 AM
Post #11

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,078
Phone: MPx220
Carrier: Alltel
MP3 Player: Dell DJ

QUOTE (smeg36 @ Feb 12 2006, 10:02 PM) *
OK, I got the feed setup and I can post using my phone via email. It gets forwarded to the blog I setup here. When you click on smeg36's blog, it gets forwarded to a different page than the MGN blog. Is this what is supposed to happen? Anyone looking for my blog on MGN will be able to find it, but it just forwards them to the site feed url.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure thats what is supposed to happen. I see that you don't have anything posted in your blog (MGN or Blogger) but I thought I would post this anyway. Just make sure you put the actual blog (smeg36.blogspot.com) and not the RSS feed where MGN asks for the website. It will then forward to your blogger blog when you go to http://www.MobileGadgetNews.com/blog/YourBlogName or http://www.mpx200.org/blog/YourBlogName instead of having to type in http://www.YourBlogName.Blogspot.com which will work but sometimes you just want to type in MGN's website rather than bloggers. You will still have to go to bloggers website to update it (or use email as said above) and you can't edit any posts or add any posts straight from MGN. Hope this helps anyone in need! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
smeg36
post Jun 4 2006, 02:08 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

Yeah, I gave up on it pretty quick. If I have anything that I would consider posting in a blog I just end up posting it in the forums instead. I have a personal blog for my family to look at, but didn't feel like keeping up a separate tech blog as well, at least not for now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Aug 18 2006, 06:11 PM
Post #13

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,097
Phone: Other
MP3 Player: Creative
Google Talk ID: eric.d.jones (at) gmail.com

My blog was a great asset while I was away. Normally I just post things in the forum as well, but when I was deployed I delt with horrible bandwith so I would just simply go into my blog, and keep things going from there. It was nice until I wasn't able to log into the site anymore due to proxies, etc. Email method would have been great and I would have been able to keep it much more up to date. I use my blog for anything and everything personal stuff for the family who would check it while I was away, and gadget stuff for everyone since after all it is a blog on Mobile Gadget News wink.gif. Just some of my thoughts and experiences in using it...

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps, Infantry
Currently using an iPhone
My Gadget History : AT&T Tilt,
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:47 PM