post Jan 9 2005, 08:38 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,731
Phone: MPx200
Carrier: T-Mobile
PocketPC: Toshiba

:?
Please let me know if anyone can assist me. I am an idiot who purchased a SmartPhone on eBay, which was listed as compatible with T-Mobile, my carrier. It is actually locked for At&T, which the seller chose to reveal in fine print. I am now researching unlocking software (in case I have to pay this auction, which of course, I will) and I found a reviewer on Amazon.com who says that he had the phone unlocked and it worked just fine with his T-Mobile SIM card inserted. My question: does anyone know whether or not T-Mobile's web access features will work if I unlock the phone, or will I only have voice services? I use T-Mobile's T-zones to access AIM and my POP3 email account.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
McHale
post Jan 9 2005, 04:49 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 917

Yah. Once you get it unlocked, you will be able to change all the settings to make it work. I hope you got a real good deal considering how old the MPx200 is... (just my .02).

But I wouldn't worry. There are some threads on Modaco and Howardforums on removing the AT&T branding and making it ready to use on T-Mobile. If I can find it, I'll post a link for it here.

Good luck...

-Mc

+Quote Post
GrYph0n
post Jan 9 2005, 11:27 PM
Post #3

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,097
Phone: Other
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: Creative
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: eric.d.jones (at) gmail.com

We actually have the threads here in the T-Mobile forum on re-branding your phone, there is even a cab file that will do all the work for you so you don't have to worry with registry editing...

--------------------
Eric Jones
Editor / Moderator
Mobile Gadget News
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps, Infantry
Currently using an iPhone
My Gadget History : AT&T Tilt,
Cingular 3125, i-Mate Smartflip, G-Sat BT359W GPS, Parrot Rhythm n'Blue BT Car Stereo, Logitech Mobile Traveller, & ThinkOutside BT Keyboard

+Quote Post
alabamacary
post Jan 29 2005, 06:14 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 6,731
Phone: MPx200
PocketPC: Toshiba

well, okay....here's an update, guys:

I paid for the phone, it finally arrived and I was able to purchase unblocking software for 40 bucks. That worked, so that the phone will now accept the T-Mobile SIM and I have been using it for voice calls and I can synch with Outlook on the PC, BUT the system locks up like crazy, whenever I do almost anything. It's running Windows Mobile 2002, but the issue is so serious that I am not even sure an update to 2003 would fix it.

I get an error message on startup that says storage space is low. Before I start deleting things, what do I need to know?

I located the threads that talk about changing the settings so that WAP will work, but what I am not grasping is how t-zones content might be accessible to me if the change can be made to work (it hasn't yet). T-Mobile customers use Motorola phones with a built-in WAP deck, from which you access your POP3 accounts and news sites, etc. This is important, of course, because it can be done for $4.99 a month, not $19.99. I am not sure exactly what the procedure is on a SmartPhone without t-zones on the menu. (Outlook is not connecting with my POP3 information entered) What am I missing?

+Quote Post
svermilyea
post Jan 30 2005, 03:36 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,591
Phone: MPx220
PocketPC: HP iPAQ
PMC: Other

If you bought an MPx200 to use with TMO's TZones WAP access, you might be disappointed. Originally (up until about 2-3 months ago), the port for TZones was unblocked for all browsers, including the pocket IE browser in the MPx200/220. Since that time, TMO has blocked the port for pIE browsers, thus your MPx200 probably will not work with TZones.

The implementation of the changes, blocking the WAP access port to pIE browsers, occured in most areas by December. In the Tidewater VA area, they blocked the port, back in early December, then unblocked it January, while they are working through issues with their Blackberry service. It seems that rather than running the Blackberry service through their internet connection (internet2.voicestream.com), they instead ran it through their WAP connection (wap.voicestream.com). As an end result, they had to unblock the internet access thru the WAP connection for all browsers to allow their Blackberries to work. On the down side, TZones is till blocked for all but WAP browsers.

I can understand TMO's desire to stop the massive access by windows devices thru their WAP portal, however their fix does not differentiate between smartphones/PDAs/laptops. PDAs and laptops eat a significant amount of bandwidth, since it is easy to navigate on the web. But, smartphones, although web enabled, have limited utility for browsing. Most of us with smartphones were using the wap access to push data to our phones, rather than pull ......if I lived in an area with another viable service, I would have left TMO in protest.

Bottom line.....unless TMO is going to change their minds.......you may temporarily have access through their WAP service, but I would not count on it for long.

--------------------
MOTO MPx200
HP H6315
MOTO MPx220
TMobile

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:38 AM