IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Suddenly can NOT connect to HOME wifi, can still connect to others wifi...just not my own at home
runningtiger
post Oct 6 2006, 09:00 PM
Post #1

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 11,486
Phone: HTC Wizard
Carrier: Alltel

Actually, connecting is not the problem. When I turn the wifi on it recognizes and connects (my network name is correctly displayed on my homescreen and the wifi icon in the top bar gets the 'connected' symbol) and everything "looks" fine until I try to load an internet page or collect my email. Then I get an error message.

If I'm trying to load an internet page it says "locating..." for quite awhile then it says "Alert The page cannot be found. Check the name and try again." This happens no matter which of my favorite bookmarks I try.

If I try to get my email it says "connecting..." for awhile then it says "The following errors occurred while sending and receiving mail: Unable to connect to the incoming mail server. Verify that the server name is correct and then try again."

This has been going on for about a week now. I've soft reset my phone several times since it began doing this AND I've unplugged my router, pressed the reset button on the back for 15 seconds, left it unplugged overnight, plugged it back in in the a.m., pressed the 'on' button and it still won't let my phone access the web and email. It does however let both our laptops wirelessly connect and function just fine. It's only the phone that won't work right. AND, to make this more perplexing...my phone connects to wireless networks elsewhere just fine. It works at work, at the cafe, off somebody else's network down the street...JUST NOT MINE!

What up????? I've never been able to set up a router on my own so I haven't messed around with it. And this all just happened one day. Nothing changed anywhere that I know of. Just 'boom'...no more access at home. sad.gif mad.gif

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Slacker
post Oct 7 2006, 11:15 AM
Post #2

Site Administrator

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,609
Carrier: T-Mobile
PocketPC: HTC

If you can set up remote access to one of your working computers I can remotely take a look at your wireless router to see if anything is wrong with it.

Aside from that, start the router with no encryption or MAC filtering. You should get the device working with no encryption before doing anything fancy. Make sure you don't have a profile stored on the phone for your network so you can start from scratch. I do not have an SDA so I am not sure how the profiles are shown but I am sure you can get there from the Comms Manger.

--------------------
Jim Cleek (Slacker)
Editor / Administrator
Mobile Gadget News

My Gadgets
iPhone 3GS
HTC TyTN II
HTC Wizard
HTC Touch Dual
Motorola MPX220
Motorola MPX200
HP Ipaq 5550

+Quote Post
runningtiger
post Oct 8 2006, 04:48 PM
Post #3

Mobile Gadget Idol
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 11,486
Carrier: Alltel

Jim - Thanks for the suggestions. What you said actually kicked my brain into gear and I realized what I'd turned off, reset, etc. was not my router. I'd done all that on the modem and had never touched the router. unsure.gif :embarrassed:

After reading your post, I deleted my home network profile off my phone then unplugged everything (modem & router this time rolleyes.gif ) overnight. I plugged everything back in this a.m. and turned on my phone. It connected to the router right away AND it was able to surf and pickup email.

FIXED! Thanks for getting me thinking...

So, something got scrambled between the router and my phone and resetting the router fixed it. I wonder what happened??

--------------------
Devices: T-Mobile MDA (Cingular SIM), i-mate SP5m (sitting in a drawer at the moment while I attempt to migrate to PPC permanently), Cingular 3125 (unlocked and in use on T-Mobile), Motorola MPx220 (retired), Motorola MPx200 (retired)

Accessories: Plantronics Explorer 330 & 2G Patriot Micro-SD (use w/MDA), Kingston 2G mini-SD used in SP5m, Plantronics Discovery 640 & 2G San Disk micro-SD (use w/3125), Jabra A210 BT adapter + Motorola HS805 (retired)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:35 PM