post May 15 2006, 09:41 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,008
Phone: MPx200
Carrier: Orange
MP3 Player: Other

Yep,

The first FIVE posts are about dying MPx200's, I'm definately converted from SHALL I try it ?, to NO WAY am I going to kill my off my phone.

Max.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DrBrains
post May 15 2006, 07:15 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,517
Carrier: Other

QUOTE (m1.carson @ May 15 2006, 11:41 AM) *
Yep,

The first FIVE posts are about dying MPx200's, I'm definately converted from SHALL I try it ?, to NO WAY am I going to kill my off my phone.

Max.

I'm sorry you feel this way. I have been using wm5 ever since it was "availlable" and am very impressed. Sure it crashed sometimes, BUT...every time it crashed, it was MY OWN FAULT. I have tried all kinds of registry changes, some workt, some didn't or made the phone (OS) unstable.

I am using my MPX200 as my primary device and I try to use it to it's full potential and yes... I even make phonecalls with it rolleyes.gif

However...if you're not convinced that you can flash it to wm2005, back to 2003 or 2002 and back again (as I have done). Don't try this as it is not for you. Use your phone as-is cause even with the original 2002 software it's still a nice phone (my opinion)

+Quote Post
smeg36
post May 15 2006, 07:20 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 1,045
Phone: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

Windows Media 5? I hope you're up to at least Windows Media 9, preferably 10! JK, I know you meant Windows Mobile. I somewhat agree. I think WM5 is fun on the MPx200, but wouldn't suggest it to anyone that relies on their phone, and use it as their primary device.

--------------------
Phone: Sprint Touch Pro

+Quote Post
m1.carson
post May 19 2006, 09:13 AM
Post #4

Hi Smeggy,

Couldn't resist picking up the gauntlet, even at my tender age biggrin.gif I've always been a gadget anorack.
The second .img file crashed four times, I was using a sandisk 128, don't think it's a sandisk problem [very old card], used an integral 128 and away it went-ish, had my battery on charge all night, and it went flat formatting IPSM, [it went flat at the same place every time, was sure it was an install prob.] managed to find my old battery and got the phone up and running enough to plug in the charger and finished the flash that way.
First impression, I like it
Next, other post's have mentioned using a card reader to copy all the files to another SD disk, one file wouldn't copy, mxip_notify.vol, tried two PC's no go, had to use my 2 gig SD card and hard reset that, works OK, [only reads first gig though, thought W MOBILE 5 might cure that].
Next next, A/Sync 4 doesn't show all the folders, I want to add a \to install one so I can find the programs I've copied across, but I might be crossing posts here, will check elsewhere first.

Max.

+Quote Post
DrBrains
post May 20 2006, 06:18 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (m1.carson @ May 19 2006, 11:13 AM) *
Hi Smeggy,

Couldn't resist picking up the gauntlet, even at my tender age biggrin.gif I've always been a gadget anorack.
The second .img file crashed four times, I was using a sandisk 128, don't think it's a sandisk problem [very old card], used an integral 128 and away it went-ish, had my battery on charge all night, and it went flat formatting IPSM, [it went flat at the same place every time, was sure it was an install prob.] managed to find my old battery and got the phone up and running enough to plug in the charger and finished the flash that way.
First impression, I like it
Next, other post's have mentioned using a card reader to copy all the files to another SD disk, one file wouldn't copy, mxip_notify.vol, tried two PC's no go, had to use my 2 gig SD card and hard reset that, works OK, [only reads first gig though, thought W MOBILE 5 might cure that].
Next next, A/Sync 4 doesn't show all the folders, I want to add a \to install one so I can find the programs I've copied across, but I might be crossing posts here, will check elsewhere first.

Max.

First: I'm happy you like it!! biggrin.gif

Second: Not sure what you mean A/S doesn't show all folders. When you start "explore" the device, it start in "my documents" and adds the "My windows-mobile-device" icon. If you click that icon, you'll see the all files and folders on the phone.

+Quote Post
m1.carson
post May 21 2006, 07:07 AM
Post #6

Hi Dr,
Typical, can't check at the moment, just put my phone on charge, what I couldn't appear to do was scroll down to \accessories and add a sub folder \to install, could do it using the card reader but A/S didn't show accessories.

Will check again later this morning.

+Quote Post
m1.carson
post May 21 2006, 10:24 AM
Post #7

Hi again Dr.,

There's no such directory as \windows using A\S, it only goes as far as \storage\application data\home, you have to use a reader, done it now and I can open> windows\start menu\accessories\to install\whatever I put in there, using the phone.

Max.

+Quote Post
DrBrains
post May 21 2006, 10:31 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (m1.carson @ May 21 2006, 09:07 AM) *
Hi Dr,
Typical, can't check at the moment, just put my phone on charge, what I couldn't appear to do was scroll down to \accessories and add a sub folder \to install, could do it using the card reader but A/S didn't show accessories.

Will check again later this morning.

"accessories" are in the \windows\accessories folder. But mine is empty. I have several "accessories" but they all show up under program files and then have a short-cut in the accessories start menu. Place shortcuts in: \windows\start menu (or even in it's sub folder accessories).

I have installed the original file manager that come with the phone on CD. It works on wm2002, wm2003 and wm2005. Maybe not the best manager but its free and came with the phone. The MMS program that's also on the CD does NOT work.

When installing programs I normally use the windows installer version, or copy over the program.cab file to "my documents" and run it from there. The phone takes care of the rest and I can delete the cab file from the phone after installation. The only program I had to copy to a specific location was Tomtom Mobile which is picky about it's location and is...well...a backup version biggrin.gif I use without GPS since our phone doesn't have Bluetooth but it functions great as route-planner and with the 5+ versions you can manual step thru the navigation-plan.

If you're looking for a specific program, let me know (PM me). I have done my share of google-ing and found a lot of nice free and/or trail programs.

+Quote Post
DrBrains
post May 21 2006, 10:34 AM
Post #9

Looks like our posts crossed.

Are you sure you have WM2005?? there is no such folder as "storage" not using a card-reader of using A/S when you do a clean install. I had to make one for tomtom!

+Quote Post
DrBrains
post May 21 2006, 10:49 AM
Post #10

Screenshot of my laptop

Attached Image

+Quote Post
m1.carson
post May 21 2006, 10:53 AM
Post #11

This is making my brain hurt, [no real pun intended] I've just gone to pictures and video where I've only got two pictures at the moment flower and waterfall, then menu\my device [option 8 ] and the very first folder shown is storage, I can then scroll down to windows and open it and lo and behold there's a folder there called startup.
Have to go now it's opening time tongue.gif will check my version of WM5 tomorrow morning when I finish work.
Max.

+Quote Post
m1.carson
post May 22 2006, 09:04 AM
Post #12

This is what I'm using :-
Windows mobile 5
OS 5.1.1700 (build 14343.0.0.0)
Radio version 0.810.

Just remembered that storage is what I named my SD card for 2003

+Quote Post
DrBrains
post May 22 2006, 10:53 AM
Post #13

QUOTE (m1.carson @ May 22 2006, 11:04 AM) *
This is what I'm using :-
Windows mobile 5
OS 5.1.1700 (build 14343.0.0.0)
Radio version 0.810.

Just remembered that storage is what I named my SD card for 2003

When installing WM2005 the SD is reformatted. It gets a label (volume ID) of TFAT. The SD card is combined with the internal memory of the phone. This is why you can't remove the card anymore with the phone one. (the OS will miss systemfiles). You can change cards but you have to reboot the phone.

The Radio version I have is 0 but that should not make a difference with A/S or other file transfers.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:15 PM