Member No.: 1
Phone: Cingular Blackjack
Carrier: AT&T Wireless/Cingular
PocketPC: HTC
MP3 Player: iPod Nano
PMC: Creative Zen
Google Talk ID: murphy dot sean at g mail dot com

Review by Belfast

I have been looking for a replacement for my MPx200 for a while now - the little "nuances" have been getting to me. I have been reading reviews of people with the MPx220 and see the same type of "nuances" happening there. As much as I liked my MPx200, I had problems. I didn't want to sink $450 in to something with the same issues.

I was originally interested in the MPx200 to consolidate my PocketPC and cell phone functionality. When I started reading the articles about RIM's BlackBerry 7100T, I started to get interested. The most important features to me were PIM synchronization, bluetooth, wireless email, and wireless web. The 7100 sounded like it was perfect.

After seeing one in my local T-Mobile shop, I was impressed. The screen is amazing! The size is OK, considering smaller would have meant skimping on the keyboard and screen. The SureType/QWERTY keyboard is almost as good as the real thing - it definetely beats a standard MPx200 keypad for typing.

I read the reviews and thought it sounded good enough to give it a shot. I picked one up the other night and starting playing around.

One of the best features I have found was totally unexpected - the holster! It sounds weird, but the features built around the holster are perfect for me. There is a magnet in the holster that triggers something in the phone when it is placed inside it. The screen and keypad turn off - no accidental calls! As soon as I pull it out - both pop back to life. You can also set up the ring profiles to be different for in and out of holster (ring out of the holster, vibrate in the holster). No more missed calls because I forgot to change the ring type.

The push email is good, but I was happy enough with the 15 minute email scan of the MPx200. The web browser is decent too. Navigation through menus is about as gracefull as other non-touchscreen PDAs. The battery actually lasts more than a day. The reception in the house is better than any other phones I have had w/T-Mobile. I had a bluetooth headset from my old T68i - I can finally use it again! Speaker phone is better than my MPx200 and the volume control in general is much better.

The downside is there is no expansion or large library of applications to download. Considering I never used my 128mb SD card other than transfering things from work to home (flash drive works the same), I am not bothered by this. I had only some basic apps on my MPx200, and I know there will be some eventually written for the 7100.

I would recommend this phone for anybody who is looking for a phone with calendar/email/tasks/contacts. T-Mobile customer service was excellent with helping me get my push-email and web access setup. The Blackberry data plan (unlimited) replaced my unlimited data plan for the same price.

Official RIM site
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GHG
post Jan 30 2005, 11:05 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 859

Just started researching Blackberry 7100t and found this site with applications - http://www.handango.com/blackberry/Platfor...07100t&osId=592

I'll comment more as my research proceeds,
GHG cool.gif

+Quote Post
harveydrose
post Dec 13 2005, 03:25 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,624

QUOTE (Sean @ Jan 19 2005, 05:05 PM)
Review by Belfast

I have been looking for a replacement for my MPx200 for a while now - the little "nuances" have been getting to me. I have been reading reviews of people with the MPx220 and see the same type of "nuances" happening there. As much as I liked my MPx200, I had problems. I didn't want to sink $450 in to something with the same issues.

I was originally interested in the MPx200 to consolidate my PocketPC and cell phone functionality. When I started reading the articles about RIM's BlackBerry 7100T, I started to get interested. The most important features to me were PIM synchronization, bluetooth, wireless email, and wireless web. The 7100 sounded like it was perfect.

After seeing one in my local T-Mobile shop, I was impressed. The screen is amazing! The size is OK, considering smaller would have meant skimping on the keyboard and screen. The SureType/QWERTY keyboard is almost as good as the real thing - it definetely beats a standard MPx200 keypad for typing.

I read the reviews and thought it sounded good enough to give it a shot. I picked one up the other night and starting playing around.

One of the best features I have found was totally unexpected - the holster! It sounds weird, but the features built around the holster are perfect for me. There is a magnet in the holster that triggers something in the phone when it is placed inside it. The screen and keypad turn off - no accidental calls! As soon as I pull it out - both pop back to life. You can also set up the ring profiles to be different for in and out of holster (ring out of the holster, vibrate in the holster). No more missed calls because I forgot to change the ring type.

The push email is good, but I was happy enough with the 15 minute email scan of the MPx200. The web browser is decent too. Navigation through menus is about as gracefull as other non-touchscreen PDAs. The battery actually lasts more than a day. The reception in the house is better than any other phones I have had w/T-Mobile. I had a bluetooth headset from my old T68i - I can finally use it again! Speaker phone is better than my MPx200 and the volume control in general is much better.

The downside is there is no expansion or large library of applications to download. Considering I never used my 128mb SD card other than transfering things from work to home (flash drive works the same), I am not bothered by this. I had only some basic apps on my MPx200, and I know there will be some eventually written for the 7100.

I would recommend this phone for anybody who is looking for a phone with calendar/email/tasks/contacts. T-Mobile customer service was excellent with helping me get my push-email and web access setup. The Blackberry data plan (unlimited) replaced my unlimited data plan for the same price.

Official RIM site

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:00 PM